Using Kurzweil 3000
Kurzweil 3000 is a software program that allows one to scan printed material into the computer from a document, book, newspaper, etc. Text can be edited. Sentences and words are highlighted while the computer reads the text aloud. The user can choose the voice, speed, and highlighting colors. In addition, the user can type in her/his own documents to hear characters and words spoken out loud. Other features include spell checking and word prediction to help one express ideas. The user can highlight, take notes (sticky and/or voice notes), and add bookmarks in documents as well as hear Web pages read aloud. Some of Kurzweil's features are described below.
Basic Functions of Kurzweil
- Study guide;
- Writing tool;
- Read aloud an existing document or a scanned print document;
- Convert a scanned print document to MP3 audio file and save the file for later use;
- Read the Web.
- Click the Kurzweill 3000 icon on the desktop, and type in your username.
- To scan a page, lay the page flat on the scanner glass, print side down. Close the scanner lid, and click Scan in the main toolbar. To save the scanned page, click Save in the main toolbar.
- To type a new document, click New in the main toolbar and start typing the document. To save the document, click Save in the main toolbar.
- Or click Open on the main toolbar, and enter the name of an existing file.
Here is Kurzweil 3000's opening screen:
- Click the green bar on the left side of the screen to open the Study Skills toolbar.
- To highlight text, click a Highlighter Color in the Study Skills toolbar. Drag the cursor over the text to highlight it. Click the highlighter again to stop.
- To take notes as you read, click at the place at which you want to attach the note. Click Note in the Study Skills toolbar. Type into the note window, then click Close in the Study Skills toolbar.
- To use sticky notes, click Sticky Note in the Study Skills toolbar. Drag the cursor to define the size of the sticky note. Type into the note window, then click Close in the Study Skills toolbar.
- The Study Skills toolbar offers numerous other useful features.
- Click the blue bar on the left side of the screen to open the Writing toolbar.
- You can write, edit, and save the document just as you can with word processing software.
- A few of the features:
- Choose a font, font size, and/or font style on the Writing toolbar.
- Spell checking, definitions, synonyms, and dictionaries are available with the Writing tool.
- Click Read on the main toolbar.
- To stop reading, click Pause.
- To change the reading speed, use the WPM (words per minute) control in the reading toolbar.
- To change the reading voice, open the Tools menu and choose Options. In the Reading tab, use the Speaker list to choose a voice.
- To look up the meaning of a word, select the word, chick Definition in the main toolbar, then click Read in the main toolbar to hear the definition.
- Open the Read menu and choose Read the Web. Click Read on the main toolbar. The home page of the selected Web site will pop up. Click Read, the green button at the bottom of the desktop.