Back to University Catalog 2005-2007

University Regulations

First Class Meeting

Students should report to the first meeting of their scheduled classes.  (Check the Class Schedule for room numbers.)  Students are responsible for attendance and will earn grades in the courses and specific sections in which they have enrolled.

Prior to the end of the second week of classes, an instructor may, by following the appropriate procedures, initiate a formal drop of students who:

1.   have missed the first two class meetings of a term (or the first meeting if the class meets only once a week), and

2.   have not advised the instructor (or the department chair,
if no instructor was assigned to the course in advance)
that their absence is temporary.

The instructor should inform the Registrar of this action by the end of the second week.

It is, however, the responsibility of the student to make certain that his/her drop has been officially recorded.  Continued absence from a class for which a student has not been dropped by the instructor may yield an unauthorized incomplete (“WU” grade) which is computed as an “F”.  Students who are in doubt as to whether or not an instructor has dropped them from the class roster should file their own drop from a class.


Change of Program after Registration

A change of program after registration is any change made in a student’s official schedule.  Changes include dropping a class, adding a class, changing the number of units for a class in which the student is registered and changing from one section to another of the same course.

A change of program must be made before the deadline date listed for each semester in the official University Academic Calendar.  The instructor issues the student a single use Course Reference Number (CRN) to add the course via ToroWeb or TOROS.  This number can only be use one time and for that specific course only.

Adding Classes

To add a course during the first three weeks of instruction, instructor approval is required.


Official Withdrawal from a Course

See the Academic Calendar at the beginning of the University Catalog or the Class Schedule for specific deadline dates for withdrawing from courses during a particular term.

Weeks 1-3

      During the first three weeks of each semester a student may withdraw by Telephone Registration, ToroWeb or by filing a Change of Program card without approval of the instructor.  No grade is assigned, and the enrollment does not appear on the student’s permanent record.  Exception:  Department Chair approval is required in order
to drop MAT 003, MAT 009, ENG 088, and ENG 099.

Weeks 4-12

      An administrative grade of “W” may be assigned up to the end of week 12 provided the student’s withdrawal request form lists serious and compelling reasons.  Permission to withdraw during this time period is to be granted only with the approval of the instructor and department chair.

Weeks 13-15

      The administrative grade of “W” shall not be assigned unless the student’s withdrawal request form indicates a serious accident or illness.  Medical verification may be required.  In addition to the signatures of both the instructor and department chair, the approval of the school dean is required on the withdrawal request form.  Ordinarily, withdrawals in this category involve total withdrawal from the University. 

Final Exams

      Once final examinations begin, no drops or withdrawals are allowed.  A student who does not officially withdraw shall receive “F,” "WU," or “NC” grades for all courses on his/her official record.



Grades and Grade Points

Student performance in each course is reported at the end
of each semester by one of the following grades (with the grade points earned):

Grade                                   Grade Points

A      Excellent                              4.0

A-                                                   3.7

B+                                                  3.3

B      Very Good                            3.0

B-                                                   2.7

C+                                                  2.3

C      Satisfactory                         2.0

C-                                                   1.7

D+                                                  1.3

D      Barely Passing                   1.0

F       Failure                                  0.0

I        Incomplete (Not counted in grade point average)

IC     Incomplete Charged

WU  Withdrawal Unauthorized

W     Withdrawal (Not counted in grade point average)


The following grades are to be used for approved
courses only:

AU    Audit (Not counted in grade point average;
no units allowed)

CR    Credit (Not counted in grade point average;
but units count for bachelor's degree)

CR*  Credit in sub-collegiate course
(Not counted in grade point average; no bachelor's degree credit)

NC    No credit (Not counted in grade point average;
no units allowed)

RP    Report in Progress
(Credit is deferred until completion of course)

***    Graduate Continuation Course

RD    Report Delayed


Explanation of Grading Symbols:  I, IC, WU, W, CR, NC, RP, RD

Incomplete Grade (I).  A grade of Incomplete may be assigned if a student is unable to complete a definable portion of course work.  An “Incomplete” indicates that there is still a possibility of credit upon completion of future work. The student must arrange with the instructor for completion of the required work.  If the instructor of record will be unavailable when the work is to be completed, department chair approval must be obtained before the instructor assigns a grade of “Incomplete.”  This approval will indicate that the department has made provisions for assuring that the student’s work will be graded and that a Change of Grade form will be submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records.

Normally, the student is responsible for applying for the grade of “Incomplete” and for obtaining instructor approval for the assignment of this grade.  In exceptional circumstances, the assignment of the “Incomplete” may be initiated by the instructor.  For each “Incomplete” grade assigned, the instructor will complete a form in triplicate on which he or she will indicate:

1.   The reason for granting the “Incomplete;”

2.   The amount or nature of the work to be completed;

3.   The date by which the student must make up the work—a date as early as possible, but in any case within one calendar year.

A final grade of “Incomplete” may not be submitted by the instructor without the request for Incomplete Grade form.  The student is responsible for contacting the instructor (or the department, in cases where the instructor is unavailable) regarding the provisions for completion of course work.  A definitive grade for the term is recorded when the work has been completed.  An “Incomplete” grade cannot be removed by repeating the course.  The grade will be automatically recorded as an "IC" or “NC” if the work is not completed and grade changed within a year.  Faculty who wish to extend the original time limit up to a maximum of one additional year may do so by filing the appropriate form with the Registrar.

Change of Grade forms for removal of Incomplete grades in courses required for graduation must be submitted by the last day of the semester or session of anticipated graduation.

Change of Grade forms are available in academic departmental offices.  It is the student’s responsibility to initiate the process and have the instructor submit the Change of Grade form to the Office of Admissions and Records within the time period allowed.  No grades can be changed for any reason after a degree has been granted.

Incomplete Charged (IC). The "IC" symbol may be used when a student who received an authorized incomplete "I" has not completed the required course work within the allowed time limit.  The "IC" replaces the "I" and is counted as a failing grade for grade point average and progress point computation.


Withdrawal Unauthorized (WU).  The symbol “WU” is used only in courses where letter grades are to be assigned.  It indicates that an enrolled student did not withdraw from the course but failed to complete course requirements.  It is used when, in the opinion of the instructor, completed assignments or course activities or both were insufficient to make normal evaluation of academic performance possible.  For purposes of grade point average computation, this symbol is equivalent to an “F”.  Unlike the “I” grade, the “WU” grade may not be changed by submitting additional work.  Rather, the student re-enrolls in the course and, if appropriate, uses the repeat and cancel process.


Withdrawal (W).  Students who withdraw in accordance with the procedures outlined in the preceding section on official withdrawal will have the administrative grade “W” recorded on their transcripts if the withdrawal is approved and occurs between the 4th and 15th weeks of instruction.

A student who does not officially withdraw shall receive “F,” “U,” or “NC” grades for all courses on his/her official schedule.


Credit/No Credit Grades (CR/NC) and A-CR/NC: Undergraduate.  Certain courses, designated in the University Catalog, are graded on a Credit/No Credit (CR/NC) basis only.  Other departmentally designated courses in basic skills reasoning and departmentally designated upper division composition courses replace the “A-F” grading system with an “A-CR/NC” system.

Students may elect to be graded on a “CR/NC” basis in other courses, subject to the guidelines below.  “CR/NC” grades affect the grade point average in the ways described below:

(a)  Courses used to satisfy a major (both upper and lower  divisions), or which are prerequisite to them, must be taken for a letter grade except when such courses are graded solely on a “CR/NC” basis.  A student is permitted to enroll in up to 50 percent of the units required by a minor on a credit/no credit basis, unless otherwise specified elsewhere in the University Catalog under specific requirements for a minor.

(b)  No more than 24 units graded “CR/NC’’, whether taken at this or another institution, may be offered in satisfaction of the total units required for a bachelor’s degree.  If 24 units graded “CR/NC” are accepted in transfer, no additional courses graded “CR/NC” may be used to satisfy degree requirements, except when a required course is graded solely on a “CR/NC” basis.  (All credits earned in the CLEP testing program may count even if they make the cumulative total of all “CR/NC” units at that time over 24.)

(c)  Selection of the CR/NC grading option must be made during the first three weeks of instruction.  Forms are available in the Office of the Registrar.

(d)  Students who plan to apply to Law School should know that the Law School Data Assembly Service evaluates a “NC” grade in CR/NC class as a failing grade.

Both Credit (CR) and No Credit (NC) grades are recorded on student transcripts.

The undergraduate Credit grade is the equivalent of an “A,” “A-,” “B+,” “B,” “B-,” “C+,” or “C”; and the “NC” grade is the equivalent of a “C-”, “D+”, “D”, or “F.”

“CR/NC” grades are not computed in overall or semester grade point averages.


Credit/No Credit (CR/NC):  Postbaccalaureate and Graduate Students.

(a)  Graduate courses graded on a “CR/NC” basis are limited to courses specifically designated in the University Catalog for nontraditional grading and to certain 400 and 500 level courses in the School of Education.

(b) At the graduate level, “CR” is the equivalent of an “A,” “A-,” “B+,” or “B”; and “NC” is the equivalent of “B-,” “C+,” “C,” “C-,” “D+,” “D” or “F.”

(c)  At least 24 of the units used to fulfill the requirements for a master’s degree shall be graded on a traditional basis.  The remaining units may be graded “CR/NC,” if the course is offered only on that basis.

(d) Graduate level students are allowed to elect to receive Credit/No Credit grades in courses numbered below 500 that will not be used to satisfy the requirements of a graduate degree program.


Report in Progress (RP).    The “RP”  symbol shall be used in connection with thesis, project, and similar courses in which assigned work frequently extends beyond a single academic term and may include enrollment in more than one term.  The "RP" symbol shall be replaced with the appropriate final grade within one year of its assignment except for master's thesis enrollment, in which case the time limit shall be established by the appropriate campus authority.  The president or designee may authorize extension of established time limits.

Report Delayed (RD).    The “RD”  symbol may be used where a delay in the reporting of a grade is due to circumstances beyond the control of the student.  The symbol may be assigned by the registrar only and, if assigned, shall be replaced by a substantive grading symbol as soon as possible.  An "RD" shall not be used in calculating grade point average or progress points.  Although no catalog statement is required, whenever the symbol is employed an explanatory note shall be included in the transcript legend.  The registrar shall notify both the instructor of record and the department chair within one week of the assignment of "RD" grades.


Auditing a Class

A student not admitted to, nor enrolled in, the University must file a Statement of Residence prior to auditing a course.  A residence determination must be made so that appropriate fees may be charged.

Auditors must pay the same fees as would be charged if the courses were taken for credit.  A student who wishes to audit a course must obtain the approval of the instructor on the Approval for Audit form available in the Office of Admissions and Records.  The approval may not be obtained prior to the first day of instruction.  Enrollment as an auditor is subject to the approval of the instructor; a student registered as an auditor may be required to participate in any or all classroom activities at the discretion of the instructor.  A student who is enrolled for credit may not change to audit after the third week of instruction.  Credit for courses audited will not subsequently be granted on the basis of the audit.  An audited course should be taken into consideration when planning a program so that the study load will not be excessive.  The symbol AU will appear on the student's record for audited courses.


Grade Point Average

The grade point average at CSU Dominguez Hills is computed on a 4-point scale.  A specified number of grade points is associated with each grade listed in the “Grades and Grade Points” section.  “CR/NC” grades have no grade point value and are not calculated in the grade point average.

The total grade points are calculated by multiplying the number of grade points associated with the grade assigned by the number of units for each class.  The grade point average is computed by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the total number of units attempted.


Grade Point Average Required for Continuing Student Status

Undergraduate and Second Bachelor’s Degree Students.  Undergraduate students are required to maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 in all college courses, all courses taken at CSU Dominguez Hills, and in all courses in the declared major(s) and minor.  See “Undergraduate Academic Probation and Disqualification” for specific grade point averages required for ongoing enrollment.

Undeclared Postbaccalaureate and Credential Students.  A grade point average of 2.5 is required for course work taken by students in undeclared postbaccalaureate and credential status.  See “Graduate and Postbaccalaureate Academic Probation and Disqualification” for specific requirements.

Master’s Degree Students.  To remain in good academic standing, a “B” (3.0) average is required in the master’s degree program and for all courses (related and unrelated, lower division, upper division, and graduate) taken concurrently with the master's degree program (i.e., all courses taken beginning with the date of admission to the program).  See "Graduate and Postbaccalaureate Academic Probation and Disqualification" for specific grade point averages required for ongoing enrollment.  In order to be eligible for graduation, students must be in good academic standing, must have an over-all GPA of 3.0 or above, and must have a grade point average of 3.0 in all courses used to fulfill the degree requirements.


Grade Changes and Appeals

Change of Grade

In general, all course grades are final when filed by the instructor at the end of the semester.

A change of letter-to-letter grade (excluding changes by petition and administrative grades of “AU,” “I,” “RD,” “RP,” “W,” and “WU”) may occur only in cases of clerical error, administrative error, or as a disciplinary sanction or when the instructor reevaluates the original course assignments of a student and discovers an error in the original evaluation.  Change of letter-to-letter grades must be filed by the instructor within one semester after the original grade was submitted.  If the change of grade is initiated after the semester following the assignment of the original grade or is being submitted for any reason other than those above, a petition must be filed along with a Change of Grade card.  The Change of Grade card must contain the signatures of the instructor, department chair, and  school dean.  It must be submitted with the signed petition to the Student Academic Petitions and Appeals Committee (SAPAC) for action.  Supporting documentation must accompany the petition.

In some cases, students may wish to petition to have grades changed to retroactive withdrawals.  Retroactive withdrawals must be complete withdrawals from the university.  The acceptable reasons for granting retroactive withdrawals are limited to: (a) documented accident or illness, (b) other serious and compelling reasons which prevent withdrawal from the university before the scheduled deadline and/or (c) evidence of timely submission of proper forms for withdrawal.  Requests for retroactive withdrawals must be submitted by petition to the Student Academic Petitions and Appeals Committee within two years of the end of the semester in which the grade was assigned.

“WU” or “F” grades may be changed to “W” by petition only. 
This process generally requires documentation of extenuating circumstances, such as physical inability to appear on campus to properly withdraw.  The petition requires the recommendation of the instructor involved and of the appropriate school dean.   A final action is taken by the  Student Academic Petitions and Appeals Committee based upon the recommendations provided.

No grades can be changed for any reason after a degree has been granted, including administrative grades of “I,” “RD,” “RP,” “W,” and “WU.”  The university shall make every effort to remove “RDs” from the student’s transcript.

Grade Appeals

A student who thinks he or she has a basis for a grade appeal will first seek to resolve the matter informally with the instructor of record (or other appropriate individual).  For a student to be able
to proceed with a grade appeal, the student must have met with the faculty member within one regular semester session of the time the student knew or should have known of the problem or dispute, unless there is a prior agreement for extension between the student and the Chair of the Student Grade Appeals Board.

If the matter is not worked out informally within five classroom days to the satisfaction of the parties, the student or his/her representative may send the grade appeal  in writing to the dean
of the school.  Instructions for this submission are outlined in the Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook, Volume 1.

If the matter is not resolved in the school within the time limits specified, the appeal is forwarded to the Student Grade Appeals Board.  Students should follow the procedures detailed in the Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook for filing this appeal.

Repeat and Cancel Policy

The Repeat and Cancel policy may be used only by students working toward a baccalaureate degree.   It may not be used by graduate/postbaccalaureate students working on master’s degrees, graduate certificates, teaching credentials or by unclassified postbaccalaureate students, even when they might take undergraduate courses.

1.   In the case of a repeated course, the subsequent grade is substituted for the earlier one in the computation of units attempted and grade point average.  The previous course  grade(s) remain(s) on the record, but is/are annotated as being discounted from grade point average calculations.

2.   Repeat and Cancel may only be used on courses taken at CSU Dominguez Hills and repeated at CSU Dominguez Hills, or at another CSU campus during summer sessions, or as a CSU visitor/concurrent student.

3.   Repeat and Cancel may be used up to a total of eighteen (18) semester units taken at CSU Dominguez Hills.

4.   Repeat and Cancel may be used only on grades of “WU,” “F,” “D,” “D+,” “C-," "IC."

5.   Students must complete a Notice of Repeated Course form for each course repeated that meets all Repeat and Cancel policy guidelines.

6.   A grade entered as a result of the student disciplinary procedures under Executive Order No. 628 cannot be cancelled and will be computed in the grade point average.

7.   Graduate and postbaccalaureate students may repeat courses; however, the two grades will be averaged into the total grade point average.  Unit credit for the courses will be granted only once.  Courses may be repeated only once.


Concurrent Enrollment at a Non-CSU Institution

Concurrent enrollment in resident courses or in extension courses in a non-CSU institution is permitted only when the entire program has received the approval of the departmental major advisor.  This approval must be obtained before any course work is started.  The purpose of this procedure is to ensure that all courses taken elsewhere will meet the requirements of the University and that the total program will not constitute an excessive study load. 

It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all work completed during his/her term of graduation is completed prior to the established CSU Dominguez Hills degree date. Work completed at another institution after the established CSU Dominguez Hills degree date cannot be used to satisfy graduation requirements until the next term.

Cross Enrollment

Undergraduate students enrolled at CSUDH may enroll, without formal admission and without payment of additional State University fees, in one transferable course each academic term at participating campuses of the University of California or California Community Colleges, on a space available basis for $10.00.

A CSUDH student must meet all of the following conditions to enroll at a University of California or Community College Campus:

q Must be an undergraduate.

q Must be enrolled in at least 6 units at CSUDH during the semester of Cross Enrollment and show proof of payment of registration fees.

q Must be a California resident.

q Must have completed at least 12 units with a GPA
of at least 2.0.

q The course (which must be transferable) must be pre-approved by the University Advisement Center before you take your application to the Cross Enrollment campus for processing.


A University of California or California Community College student coming to CSUDH must meet all of the following conditions:

q Must have completed at least one term at the home campus as a matriculated student.

q Must be enrolled at home campus in at least 6 units during the term of Cross Enrollment.

q Must have a GPA of 2.0 for work completed.

q Must have paid appropriate tuition and fees at home campus for current term.

q Must have completed appropriate academic preparation as determined by CSUDH University Advisement Center.

q Must provide an official transcript with Cross Enrollment Application to University Advisement Center.

q Must be a California resident.

q Other condition specified on the Cross Enrollment form pertaining to registration procedures, deadlines and priorities of host campus.


Intrasystem and Intersystem Enrollment Programs

Students enrolled at any CSU campus will have access to courses at other CSU campuses on a space available basis unless those campuses or programs are impacted.  This access is offered without students being required to be admitted formally to the host campus and sometimes without paying additional fees.  Although courses taken on any CSU campus will transfer to the student's home CSU campus as at least elective credit, students should consult their home campus academic advisors to determine how such courses may apply to their degree programs before enrolling at the host campus.

There are two programs for enrollment within the CSU and one for enrollment between CSU and the University of California or California community colleges.  Additional information about these programs is available from the Office of Admissions & Records.

CSU Concurrent Enrollment - matriculated students in good standing may enroll at both their home CSU campus and a host CSU campus during the same term.  Credit earned at the host campus is reported at the student's request to the home campus to be included on the student's transcript at the home campus.

CSU Visitor Enrollment - matriculated students in good standing at one CSU campus may enroll at another CSU campus for one term.  Credit earned at the host campus is reported at the student's request to the home campus to be included on the student's transcript at the home campus.

Intersystem Cross Enrollment - matriculated CSU, UC, or community college students may enroll for one course per term at another CSU, UC , or community college and request that a transcript of record be sent to the home campus.


Eligibility Requirements

Undergraduate students must have completed at least one term at the home campus as a matriculated student, earned at least twelve units there, attained a grade point average of 2.0 or better in all work completed at the home campus, and be in good standing at that campus.  Visitors must be eligible to register under continuing status at the home campus.

Graduate students must have completed at least one term at the home campus as a matriculated student, been admitted to or be enrolled in an authorized graduate program at the home campus, and be in good standing at the last college attended.

Enrollment Conditions

1.   Approval will be valid for one term only and subject to space availability, deadlines and registration priorities of host campus.

2.   Academic advisement is available only at the home campus.

3.   Evidence of completion of course prerequisites may be required at time of enrollment (i.e., transcript or grade reports).

4.   Concurrent enrollment at another CSU campus is not possible while in visitor status.

5.   Financial aid is available only through home campus and students eligible for Veterans, Rehabilitation, Social Security, and other Federal, State, or County benefits must secure eligibility certification through home campus.

6.   Program changes will be accomplished following standard procedures on both campuses.  Official notification will be provided by the host campus to the home campus.  If a student withdraws from the home campus and requests refund of the refundable portion of the fees, the host campus must be notified by the home campus.

7.   Permanent academic records are maintained at the host campus and sent to the student and to the home campus.

8.   Health services on host campus will be limited to treatment for emergencies.

9.   Because of overlap in the academic calendars, concurrent enrollment is possible only in certain combinations.

Home Campus         Host Campus

Sem Calendar          Possible                           Not Possible

Fall                          Fall Qtr or Sem               Winter Quarter

Spring                      Spring Qtr or Sem           Winter Quarter

Qtr Calendar           Possible                           Not Possible

Fall                          Fall Qtr or Sem

Winter                     Winter Qtr or Sem

Spring                      Spring Qtr or Sem           Spring Sem

Summer                   Summer Qtr

      (NOTE: Although summer quarter concurrent enrollment is not possible for students whose home campus  is on a semester calendar or on a quarter calendar without a summer quarter, enrollment in visitor status is possible.)

10. Home campus will be notified after a student registers at host campus and pays any required nonresident tuition and user fees.

11. Participation in student activities or use of the student union at the host campus is subject to any limitations set by the host campus.

12. Parking on the host campus will be available on the basis of a term fee within campus parking availability or on a daily fee basis.

13. Information concerning host campus identification card policies will be provided at registration.


Official Withdrawal From The University
(Withdrawal from all Courses)

Official withdrawal is necessary if a student leaves the University at any time after registration and does not intend to complete the semester.  The forms for initiating this process may be obtained from the University Information Center (WH D-245) and from the Office of Admissions and Records (WH C-290).

When official withdrawal from the University occurs before the semester deadline for dropping classes (the third week of instruction), the record shows withdrawal without indicating the enrolled courses.  However, if official withdrawal occurs after the drop without record of enrollment deadline, grades will be assigned in accordance with the policy above on “Official Withdrawal from a Course.”  Students withdrawing from all courses should determine if a leave of absence or graduation in absentia is appropriate.

Conditions for readmission shall be clearly indicated on the withdrawal form.  A student who withdraws under satisfactory conditions shall be classified as a continuing student for the next two semesters.


Concurrent Course Scheduling

Students are not permitted to enroll in two or more courses that overlap in time within any given academic semester without official written approval.  Time Conflict forms are available in the Office of Admissions and Records.


Course Information/Syllabus

During the first week of classes an instructor is to distribute to the class members printed information about the course.  This course information is to include at least the following items*:

1.   the instructor’s grading policy.

2.   required texts and other materials.

3.   the availability of the instructor outside of class, including office hours and office telephone number.

In addition, it is recommended that the following items be part of the course information:

1.   Prerequisites for the course.

2.   Course goals, objectives and requirements.

3.   Attendance requirements.

4.   Policy on due dates and makeup work.

5.   Schedule of examinations.

*The instructor is encouraged to distribute a syllabus appropriate for the level and nature of the course.  The instructor is to leave a copy of the course information and/or syllabus in the department office.


Course Numbering System

The course numbering system for the University is based upon three-digit numbers as follows:

001-099     Sub-collegiate courses, not for baccalaureate credit.

100-199     Lower division courses normally taken in the freshman year.

200-299     Lower division courses normally taken in the sophomore year.

300-399     Upper division courses normally taken in the junior year.

400-499     Upper division courses normally taken in the senior year.

500-599     Graduate courses ordinarily limited to graduate students, postbaccalaureate students, and last semester seniors with prior departmental approval.

600            Graduate Continuation Course.  For graduate students who have completed all course requirements.


Nondiscrimination Policy

The California State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, physical handicap or sexual orientation in the educational programs or activities it conducts.


      The California State University does not discriminate on the basis of sex or gender in the educational programs or activities it conducts.  Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in education programs and activities operated by California State University, Dominguez Hills.  Such programs and activities include admission of students and employment. Inquiries concerning the application of these laws to programs and activities of California State University, Dominguez Hills may be referred to the Special Assistant to the President, Equity and Internal Affairs, or to the Regional Director of the Office for Civil Rights, Region IX, 50 United Nations Plaza, Room 239, San Francisco, CA  94102.

      The California State University is committed to providing equal opportunities to male and female CSU students in all campus programs, including intercollegiate athletics.

Race, Color, and National Origin

      The California State University complies with the requirements of Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as well as other applicable federal and state laws prohibiting discrimination.  No person shall, on the basis of race, color, or national origin, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination in any program of the California State University.

Race, Color, and National Origin

      The California State University does not discriminate on the basis of disability in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its programs and activities.  Sections 504 and 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and various state laws, prohibit such discrimination.  The Director of Equity and Internal Affairs has been designated to coordinate the efforts of California State University, Dominguez Hills to comply with all relevant disability laws. Inquiries concerning compliance may be addressed to this person at California State University, Dominguez Hills, 1000 East Victoria Street, Carson, California 90747.

Sexual Orientation

      By the CSU Board of Trustees policy, the California State University does not discriminate on the basis of sexual


      Person responsible for reviewing concerns and for coordination of the university’s efforts to comply with these laws and regulations is the Director of Equity and Internal Affairs.  Inquiries concerning compliance may be directed to (310) 243-3970.


Sexual Harassment Policy

It is the policy of California State University, Dominguez Hills, that the campus maintain a working and learning environment free from sexual harassment of its students, employees, and those who apply for student or employee status. All should be aware that California State University, Dominguez Hills is concerned and will take action to eliminate sexual harassment.

Sexual harassment includes such behavior as sexual advances, request for sexual favors and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature directed towards an employee, student, or applicant when one or more of the following circumstances are present:

   Submission to or toleration of the conduct is an explicit or implicit term or condition of appointment, employment, admission or academic evaluation;

   Submission to or rejection of such conduct is used as a basis for a personnel decision or an academic evaluation;

   The conduct has the purpose or effect of interfering with an employee's work performance, or creating an intimidating, hostile, offensive or otherwise adverse working environment;

In determining whether conduct actually constitutes sexual harassment, the circumstances surrounding the conduct will be carefully considered. However, where the facts support the allegations, all appropriate measures including disciplinary action will be taken.

This policy is administered by the Director of Equity and Internal Affairs.  Questions, comments, suggestions or complaints should be directed to that person at (310) 243-3970.


Academic Petition for Exception

Students may petition for exception to certain university academic regulations when unusual circumstances exist.  It should be noted, however, that academic regulations contained in Title 5, California Code of Regulations, cannot be waived by petition.

Before filing a petition, students must first speak with the designated representatives in the School or College associated with their request.  Only in cases where no alternate means of resolution is available should a student then file a petition.  To do so, a fee must be paid.  Requests must be stated clearly and accompanied by supporting documentation.  Students are notified of decisions by U.S. Mail at the address on file with the university.



At the heart of any university are its efforts to encourage critical reading skills, effective communication and, above all, intellectual honesty among its students.  Thus, all academic work submitted by a student as his or her own should be in his or her own unique style, words and form.  When a student submits work that purports to be his/her original work, but actually is not, the student has committed plagiarism.

Plagiarism is considered a gross violation of the University’s academic and disciplinary standards.  Plagiarism includes the following: copying of one person’s work by another and claiming it as his or her own, false presentation of one’s self as the author or creator of a work, falsely taking credit for another person’s unique method of treatment or expression, falsely representing one’s self as the source of ideas or expression, or the presentation of someone else’s language, ideas or works without giving that person due credit.  It is not limited to written works.  For example, one could plagiarize music compositions, photographs, works of art, choreography, computer programs or any other unique creative effort.

Plagiarism is cause for formal university discipline and is justification for an instructor to assign a lower grade or a failing grade in the course in which the plagiarism is committed. In addition, the University may impose its own disciplinary measures.


Prerequisites for Courses

Course prerequisites cited with each course description in this catalog are intended to advise the student of any previous work needed for the course.  Some course prerequisites will be automatically enforced electronically as part of the registration process.  Students not meeting the stated prerequisites should determine their eligibility for such courses in consultation with their academic advisors and the appropriate instructor.


Privacy Rights of Students in Education Records

The federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 (20 U.S.C. 1232g) and regulations adopted thereunder (34 C.F.R.99) set out requirements designed to protect students' privacy in their records maintained by the campus. The statute and regulations govern access to student records maintained by the campus,  and the release of such records. The law provides that the campus must give each student access to records directly related to that student, and must also provide an opportunity for a hearing to challenge such if the student claims they are inaccurate on the grounds that they are inaccurate, misleading or otherwise inappropriate. The right to a hearing under this law does not include any right to challenge the appropriateness of a grade determined by the instructor. The law generally requires the institution to receive the student's written consent before releasing personally identifiable data about the student. The institution has adopted a set of policies and procedures governing  implementation of the statute and the regulations.  Copies of these policies and procedures may be obtained at the Office of Admissions and Records.  Among the types of information included in the campus statement of policies and procedures are: 1) the types of student records maintained and the information they contain; 2) the official responsible for maintaining each type of record; 3) the location of access lists indicating persons requesting or receiving information from the record; 4) policies for reviewing and expunging records; 5) student access rights to his or her records; 6) the procedures for challenging the content of student records; 7) the cost that will be charged for reproducing copies of records; and 8) the right of the student to file a complaint with the Department of Education. The Department of Education has established an office and review board to investigate complaints and adjudicate violations. The designated office is:  Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, Washington, D.C. 20202-4605.

The campus is authorized under the Act to release “directory information” concerning students. “Directory information” may include the student’s name, address, telephone listing, electronic mail address, photograph, date and place of birth, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student. The above-designated information is subject to release by the campus at any time unless the campus has received prior written objection from the student specifying what information the student requests not be released. Written objections should be sent to the Director of Admissions and Records.

The campus is authorized to provide access to student records to campus officials and employees who have legitimate educational interests in such access. These persons have responsibilities in the campus’ academic, administrative or service functions and have reason for using student records associated with their campus or other related academic responsibilities.  Student records may also be disclosed to other persons or organizations under certain conditions (e.g., as part of accreditation or program evaluation; in response to court order or subpoena; in connection with financial aid; to other institutions to which the student is transferring).


Release of Student Information to Agencies of the State of California

Agencies of the State of California may request, for recruitment purposes, information including the names, addresses, major fields of study, and total units completed of CSU students and former students.  The university is required by law to release such information to state agencies on request concerning students who have requested in writing that such information be released to state agencies.  Students will have the opportunity during the first three weeks of the Fall semester to request in writing the release of such information by completing a form in the Office of Admissions and Records; this release is effective for one academic year and expires on the first day of the following academic year.  Students will also have an opportunity to forbid release of any personal identifiable information to state agencies or any other person or organization.


Smoking Policy

California State University, Dominguez Hills (CSUDH) has a responsibility to its students and employees to provide a safe and healthful learning and working environment.  The University recognizes the harmful effects of involuntary contact with smoke.  It also recognizes the need to preserve the reasonable individual rights of smokers as long as doing so does not interfere with the right of the non-smoker to a smoke-free environment.


Areas Where Smoking is Prohibited

Therefore, it is the policy of CSUDH to prohibit smoking in campus buildings and certain other areas of the campus where non-smokers cannot avoid exposure to smoke.  Specifically, smoking is prohibited in all campus buildings, including classrooms, lecture halls, laboratories, offices, work areas, study areas, reception areas, meeting rooms, lobbies, hallways, stairwells, elevators, eating areas, lounges, and restrooms, and within twenty-five (25) feet of an exit, entrance, or operable window of any campus building.  Smoking is also prohibited in all partially enclosed areas such as covered walkways, breezeways, walkways between sections of buildings, bus-stop shelters, exterior walkways and landings, all State vehicles, including electric and golf carts.

Areas Where Smoking is Permitted

Smoking is permitted in outside ground areas twenty-five (25) feet beyond any exit, entrance or operable window of a campus building.

Exception:  Smoking is prohibited on decks and patios associated with dining facilities or if it unavoidably exposes people entering and leaving adjacent buildings to smoke, or when it is explicitly prohibited during a particular event or activity scheduled in the area (such as in bleachers or row seating at athletic or other events).

Compliance with Policy

Effective implementation of the Campus Smoking Policy depends upon the courtesy, sensitivity, and cooperation of all members of the campus community.  It is a normal and reasonable duty of all employees of CSUDH and its auxiliaries, and expected conduct by all students, to comply with this policy.

Scope of Policy

The Campus Smoking Policy applies to all campus buildings and grounds owned, rented or leased by CSUDH.  All members of the campus community – students, faculty, staff and campus visitors – are expected to comply with this policy. 

Notification of Policy

Notification of this policy to members of the campus community and visitors shall be made by including the policy in the University Catalog, Schedule of Classes and the University Website.  At least one copy of this policy shall be posted in each campus building.  New employees will be notified of the policy by the Human Resources Management Office upon employment.

Signs shall be displayed at the entrances/exits of all campus buildings and other appropriate locations stating that smoking is prohibited within the building and/or area and that smoking is prohibited within twenty-five (25) feet of any exit, entrance or operable window of any campus building.

Reporting of Violations of the Policy

Violations of this policy should be reported to the appropriate administrator.  There shall be no reprisals against anyone seeking assistance in enforcing this Policy.

Effective Date of Policy

This policy is effective as of September 7, 2004, and supersedes all previous CSUDH smoking policies.


Student Rights and Responsibilities

Student Responsibility

Each student is responsible for compliance with the regulations printed in the current catalog, in the current schedule of classes and with official notices posted on official bulletin boards.

Student Discipline

The University seeks to create the optimum climate for academic excellence for both students and faculty. Within this climate, students must have the opportunity to develop an understanding of their roles as citizens in a democracy. In order to achieve these goals, the University strives to minimize its regulatory controls over individual student conduct and to maximize the opportunity for student self-control and self-discipline. Students who attend the University are expected to conduct themselves in a manner compatible with the laws of federal, state and local governments, as well as with the stated purposes of the University.

Inappropriate conduct by students or by applicants for admission is subject to discipline as provided in Sections 41301 through 41304 of Title 5, California Code of Regulations. These sections are as follows:

41301.  Expulsion, Suspension and Probation of Students. Following procedures consonant with due process established pursuant to Section 41304, any student of a campus may be expelled, suspended, placed on probation or given a lesser sanction for one or more of the following causes, which must be campus related:

(a)  Cheating or plagiarism in connection with an academic program at a campus.

(b) Forgery, alteration, or misuse of campus documents, records, or identification or knowingly furnishing false  information to a campus.

(c)  Misrepresentation of oneself or of an organization to be an agent of a campus.

d)   Willful, material and substantial obstruction or disruption, on- or off- campus property, of the campus educational process, administrative process, or other campus function.

(e)  Physical abuse on- or off- campus property of the person or property of any member of the campus community or of members of his or her family or the threat of such physical abuse.

(f)  Theft of, or non-accidental damage to, campus property, or property in the possession of, or owned by, a member of the campus community.

(g)  Unauthorized entry into, unauthorized use of, or misuse of campus property.

(h) On campus property, the sale or knowing possession of dangerous drugs, restricted dangerous drugs, or  narcotics as those terms are used in California statutes, except when lawfully prescribed pursuant to medical or dental care, or when lawfully permitted for the purpose  of research, instruction, or analysis.

(i)  Knowing possession or use of explosives, dangerous chemicals, or deadly weapons on campus property or at  a college campus function without prior authorization of the campus president.

(j)  Engaging in lewd, indecent, or obscene behavior on campus property or at a campus function.

(k) Abusive behavior directed toward, or hazing of, a member of the campus community.

(l)  Violation of any order of a campus president, notice of which had been given prior to such violation and  during the academic term in which the violation occurs, either by publication in the campus newspaper, or by posting on an official bulletin board designated for this purpose, and which order is not inconsistent with any of the other provisions of this Section.

(m)Soliciting or assisting another to do any act which would  subject a student to expulsion, suspension, or probation pursuant to this Section.

(n) Unauthorized recording, dissemination, and publication of academic presentations for commercial purposes.  This prohibition applies to a recording made in any medium, including, but not limited to, handwritten or typewritten class notes:

(1) The term “academic presentation”  means any lecture, speech, performance, or other form of academic or aesthetic presentation, made by an instructor of record as part of an authorized course of instruction that is not fixed in a tangible medium of expression.

(2) The term “commercial purpose” means any purpose that has financial or economic gain as an objective.

(3) “Instructor of record” means any teacher or staff member employed to teach courses an authorize credit for the successful completion of courses.

(o) For purposes of this Article, the following terms are defined:

(1) The term “member of the campus community” is defined as meaning California State University Trustees, academic, nonacademic, and administrative personnel, students, and other persons while such other persons are on campus property or at a campus function.

(2) The term “campus property” includes:

(A)        Real or personal property in the possession of, or under the control of, the Board of Trustees of the California State University, and

(B) All campus feeding, retail, or residence facilities whether operated by a campus or by a campus auxiliary organization.

(3) The term “deadly weapons” includes any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slingshot, billy, sandclub, sandbag, metal knuckles, any dirk, dagger, switchblade knife, pistol, revolver, or any other firearm, any knife having a blade longer than five inches, any razor with an unguarded blade, and any metal pipe or bar used or intended to be used as a club.

(4) The term “behavior” includes conduct and expression.

(5) The term “hazing” means any method of initiation into a student organization or any pastime or amusement engaged in with regard to such an organization which causes, or is likely to cause, bodily danger, or physical or emotional harm, to any member of the campus community; but the term “hazing” does not include customary athletic events or other similar contests or competitions.

(6) The causes for discipline in this section shall, as appropriate, include computer-related crimes as provided in Section 502 of the Penal Code.

(p) This Section is not adopted pursuant to Education Code Section 89031.

(q) Notwithstanding any amendment or repeal pursuant to the resolution by which any provision of this Article is amended, all acts and omissions occurring prior to that effective date shall be subject to the provisions of this Article as in effect immediately prior to such effective date.

41302.  Disposition of Fees: Campus Emergency; Interim Suspension. The President of the campus may place on probation, suspend, or expel a student for one or more of the causes enumerated in Section 41301. No fees or tuition paid by or for such student for the semester, quarter, or summer session in which he or she is suspended or expelled shall be refunded. If the student is readmitted before the close of the semester, quarter, or summer session in which he or she is suspended, no additional tuition or fees shall be required of the student on account of the suspension.

During periods of campus emergency, as determined by the President of the individual campus, the President may, after consultation with the Chancellor, place into immediate effect any emergency regulations, procedures, and other measures deemed necessary or appropriate to meet the emergency, safeguard persons and property, and maintain educational activities.

The President may immediately impose an interim suspension in all cases in which there is reasonable cause to believe that such an immediate suspension is required in order to protect lives or property and to ensure the maintenance of order. A student so placed on interim suspension shall be given prompt notice of charges and the opportunity for a hearing within 10 days of the imposition of interim suspension. During the period of interim suspension, the student shall not, without prior written permission of the President or designated representative, enter any campus of the California State University other than to attend the hearing. Violation of any condition of interim suspension shall be grounds for expulsion.

41303.  Conduct by Applicants for Admission.   Notwithstanding any provision in this Chapter 1 to the contrary, admission or readmission may be qualified or denied to any person who, while not enrolled as a student, commits acts which, were he enrolled as a student, would be the basis for disciplinary proceedings pursuant to Sections 41301 or 41302. Admission or readmission may be qualified or denied to any person who, while a student, commits acts which are subject to disciplinary action pursuant to Section 41301 or Section 41302. Qualified admission or denial of admission in such cases shall be determined under procedures adopted pursuant to Section 41304.

41304.  Student Disciplinary Procedures for the California State University.  The Chancellor shall prescribe, and may from time to time revise, a code of student disciplinary procedures for The California State University. Subject to other applicable law, this code shall provide for determinations of fact and sanctions to be applied for conduct which is a ground of discipline under Sections 41301 or 41302, and for qualified admission or denial of admission under Section 41303; the authority of the campus President in such matters; conduct related determinations on financial aid eligibility and termination; alternative kinds of proceedings, including proceedings conducted by a Hearing Officer; time limitations; notice; conduct of hearings, including provisions governing evidence, a record, and review; and such other related matters as may be appropriate. The Chancellor shall report to the Board actions taken under this section.


Student Right-to-Know Law

Under the federal Student Right-to-Know legislation, institutions of higher education are required to disclose information regarding graduation rates for first time, full-time, regularly enrolled Freshman.  Prospective and currently enrolled students may review this information on the CSU Dominguez Hills Division of Student Affairs webpage accessible through the Internet at  Questions regarding this information are referred to the Media Relations Office at the University.

The federal government requires that institutions of higher learning inform prospective and continuing students regarding information pertaining to campus crime statistics, graduation and transfer rates, Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), and athletic participation rates/financial support (Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act).  In addition to CSUDH's Drug and Alcohol Policy, this information is available at the following web site: http//


Veterans’ Responsibilities

Students receiving veteran’s benefits have several important responsibilities regarding their certification status for receipt of those benefits.  These responsibilities are:


Prompt Notification of Withdrawal

It is the responsibility of each veteran student receiving benefits
to notify the Office of Admissions and Records immediately upon withdrawal from the University.  This is done through use of the Notice of Withdrawal form.  The form, including last date of attendance, should be completed and submitted promptly upon cessation of attendance.


Prompt Notification of Change in Units

When a course is added or dropped, the veteran student must complete and submit the Change of Program form immediately, including last date of attendance for dropped courses, so that any necessary adjustment in certification may be prepared and submitted by the Office of Veterans’ Affairs.


Enrollment in Proper Courses for Graduate Level Students

Graduate level veteran students are reminded that full-time certification for eight units is based upon enrollment in eight units of graduate level (500) courses or undergraduate level courses which are part of the graduate program. Enrollment in eight units of courses other than courses in the graduate program does not constitute full-time enrollment status.  The status of graduate level students enrolled in undergraduate courses not in the graduate program will be certified as less than full time.