Error processing SSI file
University Catalog

University Regulations

First Class Meeting

Students should report to the first meeting of their scheduled classes. (Check the Class Schedule for room numbers.) Students are responsible for attendance and will earn grades in the courses and specific sections in which they have enrolled.

Prior to the end of the second week of classes, an instructor may, by following the appropriate procedures, initiate a formal drop of students who:

  1. have missed the first two class meetings of a term (or the first meeting if the class meets only once a week), and
  2. have not advised the instructor (or the department chair, if no instructor was assigned to the course in advance)
    that their absence is temporary.

The instructor should inform the Registrar of this action by the end of the second week.

It is, however, the responsibility of the student to make certain that his/her drop has been officially recorded. Continued absence from a class for which a student has not been dropped by the instructor may yield an unauthorized incomplete ("WU" grade) which is computed as an "F". Students who are in doubt as to whether or not an instructor has dropped them from the class should check before the end of the Change of Program (Add/Drop) period.

Change of Program after Registration

A change of program after registration is any change made in a student's official schedule. Changes include dropping a class, adding a class, changing the number of units for a class in which the student is registered and changing from one section to another of the same course.

A change of program must be made before the deadline date listed for each semester in the official University Academic Calendar.

Adding Classes

All classes, regardless of their start date, must be added no later than the last day of the Change of Program/Late Registration period. To add a course during the first three weeks of instruction, instructor approval is required. Instructors provide approval by issuing a Late Registration Permission Number (LRPN) for the course. Late Registration Permission Numbers expire on the last day of the Change of Program/Late Registration period and should be used as soon as possible.

Official Withdrawal from a Course

See the Academic Calendar at the beginning of the University Catalog or the Class Schedule for specific deadline dates for withdrawing from courses during a particular term.

Prior to the start of the term

Students may drop prior to the start of the term/semester without penalty or record of enrollment. Drops or withdrawals that occur during this period are not included in the Undergraduate 18 unit limit. Students dropping all courses during this period will not incur a prorated fee assessment.

Weeks 1-4

During the first four weeks of each semester a student may drop a portion of their classes via MyCSUDH or in-person by filing a Change of Program form, or, completely withdraw via MyCSUDH or by filing a Complete Withdrawal form to drop all classes, without approval of the instructor. No grade is assigned, and the enrollment does not appear on the student's permanent record. Drops or withdrawals during this period do not count against the undergraduate 18 unit limit. Students dropping all courses during this period will incur a prorated fee assessment.

Exception: Department Chair approval is required in order to drop developmental English and Math courses.

Weeks 5-12

An administrative grade of "W" may be assigned up to the end of week 12 provided the student's withdrawal request form lists serious and compelling reasons. Permission to withdraw during this time shall be granted only with the approval of the instructor and the department chair (or dean). Documentation may be required before such a withdrawal is approved. Drops and withdrawals during this period will count against the undergraduate 18 unit limit.

Weeks 13-15

Withdrawals shall not be permitted during this period of instruction except in cases, such as accident or serious illness, where the cause of withdrawal is due to circumstances clearly beyond the student's control and the assignment of an Incomplete is not practical. Withdrawals during this time of the semester are only allowable for all classes. Permission to withdraw during this time shall be granted only with the approval of the instructor, department chair, and dean. Documentation is required before such a withdrawal is approved. A reason for withdrawal must be provided for all requests to withdraw during this period. Withdrawals that occur during this period will not count against the Undergraduate 18 unit withdrawal limit.

Final Exams

Once final examinations begin, no drops or withdrawals are allowed. A student who does not officially withdraw shall receive "F," "WU," or "NC" grades for all courses on his/her official record.


Grades and Grade Points

Student performance in each course is reported at the end of each semester by one of the following grades (with the grade points earned):

Grade Grade Points
A Excellent 4.0




B Very Good 3.0




C Satisfactory 2.0




D Barely Passing 1.0
F Failure 0.0
I Incomplete (Not counted in grade point average)
IC Incomplete Charged
WU Withdrawal Unauthorized
W Withdrawal (Not counted in grade point average)

The following grades are to be used for approved courses only:

AU Audit (Not counted in grade point average; no units allowed)
CR Credit (Not counted in grade point average; but units count for bachelor’s degree)
NC No credit (Not counted in grade point average; no units allowed)
RP Report in Progress (Credit is deferred until completion of course)
CR* Graduate Continuation Course


Explanation of Grading Symbols:
I, IC, WU, W, CR, NC, RP, RD

Incomplete Grade (I). The symbol "I" (Incomplete Authorized) indicates that a portion of required course work has not been completed and evaluated in the prescribed time period due to unforeseen, but fully justified, reasons and that there is still a possibility of earning credit. It is the responsibility of the student to bring pertinent information to the attention of the instructor and to determine from the instructor the remaining course requirements, which must be satisfied to remove the "Incomplete." A final grade is assigned when the work agreed upon has been completed and evaluated. This approval will indicate that the department has made provisions for assuring that the student's work will be graded and that a Change of Grade form will be submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records.

An "Incomplete" must normally be made up within one calendar year following the end of the term during which it was assigned. However, an extension may be granted by petition for contingencies such as intervening military service and serious health or personal problems. If the "Incomplete" is not converted to a credit-bearing grade within the prescribed time limit, or any extension thereof, it shall be counted as a failing grade in calculating grade point average and progress points unless the faculty member has assigned another grade in accordance with campus policy.

Normally, the student is responsible for applying for the grade of "Incomplete" and for obtaining instructor approval for the assignment of this grade. In exceptional circumstances, the assignment of the "Incomplete" may be initiated by the instructor. For each "Incomplete" grade assigned, the instructor will complete a Request for Incomplete Grade on which he or she will indicate:

1. The reason for granting the "Incomplete;"

2. The amount or nature of the work to be completed;

3. The date by which the student must make up the work.

This limitation prevails whether or not the student maintains continuous enrollment. Failure to complete the assigned work will result in an "Incomplete" being converted to an "IC" symbol (Failing grade for grade point average computation), unless the faculty member assigns a specific letter grade at the time the Incomplete is assigned, which would replace the "I" in the student's record after the calendar year deadline.

The student is responsible for contacting the instructor (or the department, in cases where the instructor is unavailable) regarding the provisions for completion of course work. A definitive grade for the term is recorded when the work has been completed. An "Incomplete" grade cannot be removed by repeating the course. A student may not re-enroll in a course for which he or she has received an "I" until a grade (e.g. A-F, IC, NC) is given. Students re-enrolled in a course for which an "I" was granted will be dropped form the course at the time the "I" grade is received from the instructor. The grade will be automatically recorded as an "IC" or "NC" if the work is not completed and grade changed within a year.

Change of Grade forms for removal of "Incomplete" grades in courses required for graduation must be submitted by the last day of the semester or session of anticipated graduation.

Change of Grade forms are available in academic departmental offices. It is the student's responsibility to initiate the process and have the instructor submit the Change of Grade form to the Office of Admissions and Records within the time period allowed. No grades can be changed for any reason after a degree has been granted.

Incomplete Charged (IC). The "IC" symbol may be used when a student who received an authorized incomplete "I" has not completed the required course work within the allowed time limit. The "IC" replaces the "I" and is counted as a failing grade for grade point average and progress point computation.

Withdrawal Unauthorized (WU). The symbol "WU" shall be used when a student, who was enrolled on the census date, did not withdraw from the course and also failed to complete course requirements. It is used when, in the opinion of the instructor, completed assignments or course activities or both were insufficient to make normal evaluation of academic performance possible. The "WU" is used where letter grades are assigned. For purposes of grade point average computation, is equivalent to an "F". Unlike the "I" grade, the "WU" grade may not be changed by submitting additional work. Rather, the student must re-enroll in the course and, if appropriate, use the repeat and cancel process.

Withdrawal (W). Students who withdraw in accordance with the procedures outlined in the preceding section on official withdrawal will have the administrative grade "W" recorded on their transcripts if the withdrawal is approved and occurs between the 4th and 15th weeks of instruction. The symbol "W" indicates that the student was permitted to withdraw from the course after the 3rd week of instruction with the approval of the instructor and appropriate campus officials. It carries no connotation of quality of student performance and is not used in calculating grade point average or progress points.

A student who does not officially withdraw shall receive "F," "WU," or "NC" grades for all courses on his/her official schedule.

Credit/No Credit Grades (CR/NC) and A-CR/NC: Undergraduate. Certain courses, designated in the University Catalog, are graded on a Credit/No Credit (CR/NC) basis only. Other departmentally designated courses in basic skills reasoning and departmentally designated upper division composition courses replace the "A-F" grading system with an "A-C/NC" system.

Students may elect to be graded on a "CR/NC" basis in other courses, subject to the guidelines below. "CR/NC" grades affect the grade point average in the ways described below:

(a) Courses used to satisfy a major (both upper and lower divisions), or which are prerequisite to them, must be taken for a letter grade except when such courses are graded solely on a "CR/NC" basis. A student is permitted to enroll in up to 50 percent of the units required by a minor on a credit/no credit basis, unless otherwise specified elsewhere in the University Catalog under specific requirements for a minor.

(b) No more than 24 units graded "CR/NC'', whether taken at this or another institution, may be offered in satisfaction of the total units required for a bachelor's degree. If 24 units graded "CR/NC" are accepted in transfer, no additional courses graded "CR/NC" may be used to satisfy degree requirements, except when a required course is graded solely on a "CR/NC" basis. (All credits earned in the CLEP testing program may count even if they make the cumulative total of all "CR/NC" units at that time over 24.)

(c) Selection of the CR/NC grading option must be made during the first three weeks of instruction. Forms are available in the Office of the Registrar and on the Admissions and Records website.

(d) Students who plan to apply to Law School should know that the Law School Data Assembly Service evaluates a "NC" grade in CR/NC class as a failing grade.

Both Credit (CR) and No Credit (NC) grades are recorded on student transcripts.

The undergraduate Credit grade is the equivalent of an "A," "A-," "B+," "B," "B-," "C+," or "C"; and the "NC" grade is the equivalent of a "C-", "D+", "D", or "F."

"CR/NC" grades are not computed in overall or semester grade point averages.

Credit/No Credit (CR/NC): Post baccalaureate and Graduate

(a) Graduate courses graded on a "CR/NC" basis are limited to courses specifically designated in the University Catalog for nontraditional grading and to certain 400 and 500 level courses in the School of Education.

(b) At the graduate level, "CR" is the equivalent of an "A," "A-," "B+," or "B"; and "NC" is the equivalent of "B-," "C+," "C," "C-," "D+," "D" or "F."

(c) At least 24 of the units used to fulfill the requirements for a master's degree shall be graded on a traditional basis. The remaining units may be graded "CR/NC," if the course is offered only on that basis.

(d) Graduate level students are allowed to elect to receive Credit/No Credit grades in courses numbered below 500 that will not be used to satisfy the requirements of a graduate degree program.

Report in Progress (RP). The "RP" symbol is used in connection with courses that extend beyond one academic term. It indicates that work is in progress but that assignment of a final grade must await completion of additional work. Work is to be completed within one year except for graduate degree theses.

The "RP" symbol shall be used in connection with thesis, project, and similar courses in which assigned work frequently extends beyond a single academic term and may include enrollment in more than one term. The "RP" symbol shall be replaced with the appropriate final grade within one year of its assignment except for master's thesis enrollment, in which case the time limit shall be established by the appropriate campus authority. The president or designee may authorize extension of established time limits.

Report Delayed (RD). The "RD" symbol may be used where a delay in the reporting of a grade is due to circumstances beyond the control of the student. The symbol may be assigned by the registrar only and, if assigned, shall be replaced by a substantive grading symbol as soon as possible. An "RD" shall not be used in calculating grade point average or progress points. Although no catalog statement is required, whenever the symbol is employed, an explanatory note shall be included in the transcript legend. The registrar shall notify both the instructor of record and the department chair within two weeks of the assignment of RD grades.

Auditing a Class

A student not admitted to, nor enrolled in, the University must file a Statement of Residence prior to auditing a course. A residence determination must be made so that appropriate fees may be charged.

Auditors must pay the same fees as would be charged if the courses were taken for credit. A student who wishes to audit a course must obtain the approval of the instructor on the Approval for Audit form available in the Office of Admissions and Records. The approval may not be obtained prior to the first day of instruction. Enrollment as an auditor is subject to permission of the instructor provided that enrollment in a course as an auditor shall be permitted only after students otherwise eligible to enroll on a credit basis have had an opportunity to do so. Auditors are subject to the same fee structure as credit students and regular class attendance is expected. Once enrolled as an auditor, a student may not change to credit status unless such a change is requested no later than the last day to add classes in that tern. A student who is enrolled for credit may not change to audit after the third week of instruction. Credit for courses audited will not subsequently be granted on the basis of the audit. An audited course should be taken into consideration when planning a program so that the study load will not be excessive. The symbol AU will appear on the student's record for audited courses.

Grade Point Average

The grade point average at CSU Dominguez Hills is computed on a 4-point scale. A specified number of grade points is associated with each grade listed in the "Grades and Grade Points" section. "CR/NC" grades have no grade point value and are not calculated in the grade point average.

The total grade points are calculated by multiplying the number of grade points associated with the grade assigned by the number of units for each class. The grade point average is computed by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the total number of units attempted.

Grade Point Average
Required for Continuing Student Status

Undergraduate students are required to maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 in all college courses, all courses taken at CSU Dominguez Hills, and in all courses in the declared major(s) and minor. See "Undergraduate Academic Probation and Disqualification" for specific grade point averages required for ongoing enrollment.

Undeclared Post baccalaureate and Credential Students. A grade point average of 2.5 is required for course work taken by students in undeclared Post baccalaureate and credential status. See "Graduate and Post baccalaureate Academic Probation and Disqualification" for specific requirements.

Master's Degree Students. To remain in good academic standing, a "B" (3.0) average is required in the master's degree program and for all courses (related and unrelated, lower division, upper division, and graduate) taken concurrently with the master's degree program (i.e., all courses taken beginning with the date of admission to the program). See "Graduate and Post baccalaureate Academic Probation and Disqualification" for specific grade point averages required for ongoing enrollment. In order to be eligible for graduation, students must be in good academic standing, must have an overall GPA of 3.0 or above, and must have a grade point average of 3.0 in all courses used to fulfill the degree requirements.

Grade Changes, Grade Appeals and Repeat & Cancel

Change of Grade

In general, all course grades are final when filed by the instructor at the end of the semester.

A change of letter-to-letter grade (excluding changes by petition and administrative grades of "AU," "I," "RD," "RP," "W," and "WU") may occur only in cases of clerical error, administrative error, or as a disciplinary sanction or when the instructor reevaluates the original course assignments of a student and discovers an error in the original evaluation. Change of letter-to-letter grades must be filed by the instructor within one semester after the original grade was submitted. If the change of grade is initiated after the semester following the assignment of the original grade or is being submitted for any reason other than those above, a petition must be filed along with a Change of Grade card. The Change of Grade card must contain the signatures of the instructor, department chair, and school dean. It must be submitted with the signed petition to the Student Academic Petitions and Appeals Committee (SAPAC) for action. Supporting documentation must accompany the petition.

In some cases, students may wish to petition to have grades changed to retroactive withdrawals. Retroactive withdrawals must be complete withdrawals from the university. The acceptable reasons for granting retroactive withdrawals are limited to: (a) documented accident or illness, (b) other serious and compelling reasons which prevent withdrawal from the university before the scheduled deadline and/or (c) evidence of timely submission of proper forms for withdrawal. Requests for retroactive withdrawals must be submitted by petition to the Student Academic Petitions and Appeals Committee within two years of the end of the semester in which the grade was assigned.

"WU" or "F" grades may be changed to "W" by petition only.
This process generally requires documentation of extenuating circumstances, such as physical inability to appear on campus to properly withdraw. The petition requires the recommendation of the instructor involved and of the appropriate school dean. A final action is taken by the Student Academic Petitions and Appeals Committee based upon the recommendations provided.

No grades can be changed for any reason after a degree has been granted, including administrative grades of "I," "RD," "RP," "W," and "WU." The university shall make every effort to remove "RDs" from the student's transcript.

Grade Appeals

A student who thinks he or she has a basis for a grade appeal will first seek to resolve the matter informally with the instructor of record (or other appropriate individual). For a student to be able to proceed with a grade appeal, the student must have met with the faculty member within one regular semester session of the time the student knew or should have known of the problem or dispute, unless there is a prior agreement for extension between the student and the Chair of the Student Grade Appeals Board.

If the matter is not worked out informally within five classroom days to the satisfaction of the parties, the student or his/her representative may send the grade appeal in writing to the dean of the school. Instructions for this submission are outlined in the Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook, Volume 1.

If the matter is not resolved in the school within the time limits specified, the appeal is forwarded to the Student Grade Appeals Board. Students should follow the procedures detailed in the Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook for filing this appeal.

Repeat and Cancel Policy

Repeat and Cancel may be used by students working toward a baccalaureate degree. It may not be used by graduate/post-baccalaureate students working on master's degrees, graduate certificates, teaching credentials, or by "undeclared" graduate students, even when they might take undergraduate courses.

  1. In the case of a repeated course, the subsequent grade is substituted for the earlier one in the computation of units attempted and grade point average. The previous course grade(s) remain(s) on the record, but is/are annotated as being discounted from grade point average calculations.
  2. Repeat and Cancel may only be used on courses taken at CSU Dominguez Hills and repeated at CSU Dominguez Hills through Open University, regular university or special sessions.
  3. Beginning Fall 2009, Repeat and Cancel may be used for no more than 16 semester units taken at CSU Dominguez Hills during the entire undergraduate degree program.
  4. Undergraduate students may be permitted to repeat an additional 12 units, i.e. units in addition to the 16 units for which grade forgiveness is permitted. In such instances the repeat grade shall not replace the original grade, instead, both grades shall be calculated into the student's overall grade-point average.
  5. Undergraduate students may repeat an individual course no more than two times.
  6. Repeat and Cancel may be used only on grades of "WU," "F," "D," "D+," "C-," "IC."
  7. Students must complete a Notice of Repeated Course form for each course repeated that meets all Repeat and Cancel policy guidelines if the original course was taken prior to fall 2008 or if they wish to select which eligible courses are to be excluded from the grade point average computation.
  8. A grade entered as a result of the student disciplinary procedures under Executive Order No. 628 cannot be cancelled and will be included in the grade point average.
  9. Graduate and post baccalaureate students may repeat courses; however, the two grades will be averaged into the total grade point average. Credit for the courses will be granted only once and courses may be repeated only once.

Concurrent Enrollment
at a Non-CSU Institution

Concurrent enrollment in resident courses or in extension courses in a non-CSU institution is permitted only when the entire program has received the approval of the departmental major advisor. This approval must be obtained before any course work is started. The purpose of this procedure is to ensure that all courses taken elsewhere will meet the requirements of the University and that the total program will not constitute an excessive study load.

It is the student's responsibility to ensure that all work completed during his/her term of graduation is completed prior to the established CSU Dominguez Hills degree date. Work completed at another institution after the established CSU Dominguez Hills degree date cannot be used to satisfy graduation requirements until the next term.

Cross Enrollment

Undergraduate students enrolled at CSUDH may enroll, without formal admission and without payment of additional State University fees, in one transferable course each academic term at participating campuses of the University of California or California Community Colleges, on a space available basis for $10.00.

A CSUDH student must meet all of the following conditions to enroll at a University of California or Community College campus:

  • Must be an undergraduate.
  • Must be enrolled in at least 6 units at CSUDH during the semester of Cross Enrollment and show proof of payment of registration fees.
  • Must be a California resident.
  • Must have completed at least 12 units with a GPA
    of at least 2.0.
  • The course (which must be transferable) must be pre-approved by the University Advisement Center before you take your application to the Cross Enrollment campus for processing.

A University of California or California Community College student coming to CSUDH must meet all of the following conditions:

  • Must have completed at least one term at the home campus as a matriculated student.
  • Must be enrolled at home campus in at least 6 units during the term of Cross Enrollment.
  • Must have a GPA of 2.0 for work completed.
  • Must have paid appropriate tuition and fees at home campus for current term.
  • Must have completed appropriate academic preparation as determined by CSUDH University Advisement Center.
  • Must provide an official transcript with Cross Enrollment Application to University Advisement Center.
  • Must be a California resident.
  • Other condition specified on the Cross Enrollment form pertaining to registration procedures, deadlines and priorities of host campus.

Intrasystem and Intersystem Enrollment Programs

Students enrolled at any CSU campus will have access to courses at other CSU campuses on a space available basis unless those campuses or programs are impacted. This access is offered without students being required to be admitted formally to the host campus and sometimes without paying additional fees. Although courses taken on any CSU campus will transfer to the student's home CSU campus as elective credit, students should consult their home campus academic advisors to determine how such courses may apply to their degree programs before enrolling at the host campus.

There are two programs for enrollment within the CSU and one for enrollment between CSU and the University of California or California community colleges. Additional information about these programs is available from the Office of Admissions & Records.

CSU Concurrent Enrollment - matriculated students in good standing may enroll at both their home CSU campus and a host CSU campus during the same term. Credit earned at the host campus is reported at the student's request to the home campus to be included on the student's transcript at the home campus.

CSU Visitor Enrollment - matriculated students in good standing at one CSU campus may enroll at another CSU campus for one term. Credit earned at the host campus is reported at the student's request to the home campus to be included on the student's transcript at the home campus.

Intersystem Cross Enrollment - matriculated CSU, UC, or community college students may enroll on a "space available" basis for one course per term at another CSU, UC, or community college and request that a transcript of record be sent to the home campus.

Eligibility Requirements

Undergraduate students must have completed at least one term at the home campus as a matriculated student, earned at least twelve units there, attained a grade point average of 2.0 or better in all work completed at the home campus, and be in good standing at that campus. Visitors must be eligible to register under continuing status at the home campus.

Graduate students must have completed at least one term at the home campus as a matriculated student, been admitted to or be enrolled in an authorized graduate program at the home campus, and be in good standing at the last college attended.

Enrollment Conditions

  1. Approval will be valid for one term only and subject to space availability, deadlines and registration priorities of host campus.
  2. Academic advisement is available only at the home campus.
  3. Evidence of completion of course prerequisites may be required at time of enrollment (i.e., transcript or grade reports).
  4. Concurrent enrollment at another CSU campus is not possible while in visitor status.
  5. Financial aid is available only through home campus and students eligible for Veterans, Rehabilitation, Social Security, and other Federal, State, or County benefits must secure eligibility certification through home campus.
  6. Program changes will be accomplished following standard procedures on both campuses. Official notification will be provided by the host campus to the home campus. If a student withdraws from the home campus and requests refund of the refundable portion of the fees, the host campus must be notified by the home campus.
  7. Permanent academic records are maintained at the host campus and sent to the student and to the home campus.
  8. Health services on host campus will be limited to treatment for emergencies.
  9. Because of overlap in the academic calendars, concurrent enrollment is possible only in certain combinations.


Home Campus

Host Campus


Sem Calendar


Not Possible


Fall Qtr or Sem

Winter Quarter


Spring Qtr or Sem

Winter Quarter




Qtr Calendar


Not Possible


Fall Qtr or Sem



Winter Qtr or Sem



Spring Qtr or Sem

Spring Sem


Summer Qtr



(NOTE: Although summer quarter concurrent enrollment is not possible for students whose home campus is on a semester calendar or on a quarter calendar without a summer quarter, enrollment in visitor status is possible.)

  1. Home campus will be notified after a student registers at host campus and pays any required nonresident tuition and user fees.
  2. Participation in student activities or use of the student union at the host campus is subject to any limitations set by the host campus.
  3. Parking on the host campus will be available on the basis of a term fee within campus parking availability or on a daily fee basis.
  4. Information concerning host campus identification card policies will be provided at registration.

Official Withdrawal from the University (Withdrawal from all Courses)

Official withdrawal is necessary if a student leaves the University at any time after registration and does not intend to complete the semester. The forms for initiating this process (Complete Withdrawal form) may be obtained from the University Information Center (WH D-245), from the Office of Admissions and Records (WH C-290), and on the Admissions and Records web site.

When official withdrawal from the University occurs before the semester deadline for dropping classes (Last day of Change of Program (Add/Drop) period), there is no record of enrollment. However, if official withdrawal occurs after the drop without record of enrollment deadline, grades will be assigned in accordance with the policy above on "Official Withdrawal from a Course." Students withdrawing from all courses should determine if a leave of absence or graduation in absentia is appropriate. Official withdrawals that occur between weeks 4 and 12 will result in a "W" grade, and will count against the Undergraduate 18 unit limit. Official withdrawals that are approved and processed during weeks 13-15 will not count against the Undergraduate 18 unit limit. Withdrawals in excess of 18 units cannot be processed and will result in a "WU" grade, which is a failing grade included in the grade point average and progress point computations.

A student who withdraws with "W" grades shall be classified as a continuing student for the next semester.

Concurrent Course Scheduling

Students are not permitted to enroll in two or more courses that overlap in time within any given academic semester without official written approval on the Approval for Time Conflict form. Time Conflict forms are available in the Office of Admissions and Records and on the Admissions and Records web site.

Course Information/Syllabus

During the first week of classes an instructor is to distribute to the class members printed information about the course. This course information is to include at least the following items*:

1. the instructor's grading policy.

2. required texts and other materials.

3. the availability of the instructor outside of class, including office hours and office telephone number.

In addition, it is recommended that the following items be part
of the course information:

1. Prerequisites for the course.

2. Course goals, objectives and requirements.

3. Attendance requirements.

4. Policy on due dates and makeup work.

5. Schedule of examinations.

* The instructor is encouraged to distribute a syllabus appropriate for the level and nature of the course. The instructor is to leave a copy of the course information and/or syllabus in the department office.

Course Numbering System

The course numbering system for the University is based upon three-digit numbers as follows:


001-099 Sub-collegiate courses, not for baccalaureate credit.
100-199 Lower division courses normally taken in the freshman year.
200-299 Lower division courses normally taken in the sophomore year.
300-399 Upper division courses normally taken in the junior year.
400-499 Upper division courses normally taken in the senior year.
500-599 Graduate courses ordinarily limited to graduate students, Post baccalaureate students, and last semester seniors with prior departmental approval.
600 Graduate Continuation Course. For graduate students who have completed all course requirements.




Nondiscrimination Policy

The California State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, physical handicap or sexual orientation in the educational programs or activities it conducts.


The California State University does not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender or sexual orientation in the educational programs or activities it conducts. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and certain other federal and state laws prohibit discrimination on these bases in education programs and activities operated by California State University, Dominguez Hills. Such programs and activities include admission of students and employment.

The California State University is committed to providing equal opportunities to male and female CSU students in all campus programs, including intercollegiate athletics.

Inquiries concerning the application these laws to programs and activities of California State University, Dominguez Hills may be referred to the Special Assistant to the President, the campus officer(s) assigned the administrative responsibility of reviewing such matters, California State University, Dominguez Hills, 1000 East Victoria Street, Carson, California 90747, or to the Regional Director of the Office for Civil Rights, United States Department of Education, 50 Beale Street, Suite 7200, San Francisco, California 94105.

Race, Color, Ethnicity,
National Origin, Age and Religion

The California State University complies with the requirements of Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as well as other applicable federal and state laws prohibiting discrimination. No person shall, on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, or religion be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination in any program of the California State University.


The California State University does not discriminate on the basis of disability in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its programs and activities. Federal laws, including sections 504 and 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, and various state laws prohibit such discrimination. Director of Equity and Internal Affairs has been designated to coordinate the efforts of California State University, Dominguez Hills to comply with all relevant disability laws. Inquiries concerning compliance may be addressed to this person at California State University, Dominguez Hills, 1000 East Victoria Street, Carson, California 90747.

Sexual Harassment Policy

It is the policy of California State University, Dominguez Hills, that the campus maintain a working and learning environment free from sexual harassment of its students, employees, and those who apply for student or employee status. All should be aware that California State University, Dominguez Hills is concerned and will take action to eliminate sexual harassment.

Sexual harassment includes such behavior as sexual advances, request for sexual favors and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature directed towards an employee, student, or applicant when one or more of the following circumstances are present:

  • Submission to or toleration of the conduct is an explicit or implicit term or condition of appointment, employment, admission or academic evaluation;
  • Submission to or rejection of such conduct is used as a basis for a personnel decision or an academic evaluation;
  • The conduct has the purpose or effect of interfering with an employee's work performance, or creating an intimidating, hostile, offensive or otherwise adverse working environment;

In determining whether conduct actually constitutes sexual harassment, the circumstances surrounding the conduct will be carefully considered. However, where the facts support the allegations, all appropriate measures including disciplinary action will be taken.

This policy is administered by the Assistant Vice President of Human Resources Management. Questions, comments, suggestions or complaints should be directed to that person at (310) 243-3771.

Academic Petition for Exception

Students may petition for exception to certain university academic regulations when unusual circumstances exist. It should be noted, however, that academic regulations contained in Title 5, California Code of Regulations, cannot be waived by petition.

Before filing a petition, students must first speak with the designated representatives in the School or College associated with their request. Only in cases where no alternate means of resolution is available should a student then file a petition. To do so, a fee must be paid. Requests must be stated clearly and accompanied by supporting documentation. Students are notified of decisions by U.S. Mail at the address on file with the university.


At the heart of any university are its efforts to encourage critical reading skills, effective communication and, above all, intellectual honesty among its students. Thus, all academic work submitted by a student as his or her own should be in his or her own unique style, words and form. When a student submits work that purports to be his/her original work, but actually is not, the student has committed plagiarism.

Plagiarism is considered a gross violation of the University's academic and disciplinary standards. Plagiarism includes the following: copying of one person's work by another and claiming it as his or her own, false presentation of one's self as the author or creator of a work, falsely taking credit for another person's unique method of treatment or expression, falsely representing one's self as the source of ideas or expression, or the presentation of someone else's language, ideas or works without giving that person due credit. It is not limited to written works. For example, one could plagiarize music compositions, photographs, works of art, choreography, computer programs or any other unique creative effort.

Plagiarism is cause for formal university discipline and is justification for an instructor to assign a lower grade or a failing grade in the course in which the plagiarism is committed. In addition, the University may impose its own disciplinary measures.

Prerequisites for Courses

Course prerequisites cited with each course description in this catalog are intended to advise the student of any previous work needed for the course. Some course prerequisites will be automatically enforced electronically as part of the registration process. Students not meeting the stated prerequisites should determine their eligibility for such courses in consultation with their academic advisors and the appropriate instructor.

Privacy Rights of Students in Education Records

The federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 (20 U.S.C. 1232g) and regulations adopted there under (34 C.F.R.99) set out requirements designed to protect students' privacy in their records maintained by the campus. The statute and regulations govern access to student records maintained by the campus, and the release of such records. The law provides that the campus must give each student access to records directly related to that student, and must also provide an opportunity for a hearing to challenge such if the student claims they are inaccurate on the grounds that they are inaccurate, misleading or otherwise inappropriate. The right to a hearing under this law does not include any right to challenge the appropriateness of a grade determined by the instructor. The law generally requires the institution to receive the student's written consent before releasing personally identifiable data about the student. The institution has adopted a set of policies and procedures governing implementation of the statute and the regulations. Copies of these policies and procedures may be obtained at the Office of Admissions and Records. Among the types of information included in the campus statement of policies and procedures are: 1) the types of student records maintained and the information they contain; 2) the official responsible for maintaining each type of record; 3) the location of access lists indicating persons requesting or receiving information from the record; 4) policies for reviewing and expunging records; 5) student access rights to his or her records; 6) the procedures for challenging the content of student records; 7) the cost that will be charged for reproducing copies of records; and 8) the right of the student to file a complaint with the Department of Education. The Department of Education has established an office and review board to investigate complaints and adjudicate violations. The designated office is: Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, Washington, D.C. 20202-4605.

The campus is authorized under the Act to release "directory information" concerning students. "Directory information" may include the student's name, address, telephone listing, electronic mail address, photograph, date and place of birth, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student. The above-designated information is subject to release by the campus at any time unless the campus has received prior written objection from the student specifying what information the student requests not be released. Written objections should be sent to the Director of Admissions and Records.

The campus is authorized to provide access to student records to campus officials and employees who have legitimate educational interests in such access. These persons have responsibilities in the campus' academic, administrative or service functions and have reason for using student records associated with their campus or other related academic responsibilities. Student records may also be disclosed to other persons or organizations under certain conditions (e.g., as part of accreditation or program evaluation; in response to court order or subpoena; in connection with financial aid; to other institutions to which the student is transferring).

Release of Student Information to Agencies of the State of California

Agencies of the State of California may request, for recruitment purposes, information including the names, addresses, major fields of study, and total units completed of CSU students and former students. The university is required by law to release such information to state agencies on request concerning students who have requested in writing that such information be released to state agencies. Students will have the opportunity during the first three weeks of the Fall semester to request in writing the release of such information by completing a form in the Office of Admissions and Records; this release is effective for one academic year and expires on the first day of the following academic year. Students will also have an opportunity to forbid release of any personal identifiable information to state agencies or any other person or organization.

Smoking Policy

California State University, Dominguez Hills (CSUDH) has a responsibility to its students and employees to provide a safe and healthful learning and working environment. The University recognizes the harmful effects of involuntary contact with smoke. It also recognizes the need to preserve the reasonable individual rights of smokers as long as doing so does not interfere with the right of the non-smoker to a smoke-free environment.

Areas Where Smoking is Prohibited

Therefore, it is the policy of CSUDH to prohibit smoking in campus buildings and certain other areas of the campus where non-smokers cannot avoid exposure to smoke. Specifically, smoking is prohibited in all campus buildings, including classrooms, lecture halls, laboratories, offices, work areas, study areas, reception areas, meeting rooms, lobbies, hallways, stairwells, elevators, eating areas, lounges, and restrooms, and within twenty-five (25) feet of an exit, entrance, or operable window of any campus building. Smoking is also prohibited in all partially enclosed areas such as covered walkways, breezeways, walkways between sections of buildings, bus-stop shelters, exterior walkways and landings, all State vehicles, including electric and golf carts.

Areas Where Smoking is Permitted

Smoking is permitted in outside ground areas twenty-five (25) feet beyond any exit, entrance or operable window of a campus building.

Exception: Smoking is prohibited on decks and patios associated with dining facilities or if it unavoidably exposes people entering and leaving adjacent buildings to smoke, or when it is explicitly prohibited during a particular event or activity scheduled in the area (such as in bleachers or row seating at athletic or other events).

Compliance with Policy

Effective implementation of the Campus Smoking Policy depends upon the courtesy, sensitivity, and cooperation of all members of the campus community. It is a normal and reasonable duty of all employees of CSUDH and its auxiliaries, and expected conduct by all students, to comply with this policy.

Scope of Policy

The Campus Smoking Policy applies to all campus buildings and grounds owned, rented or leased by CSUDH. All members of the campus community students, faculty, staff and campus visitors are expected to comply with this policy.

Notification of Policy

Notification of this policy to members of the campus community and visitors shall be made by including the policy in the University Catalog, Schedule of Classes and the University Website. At least one copy of this policy shall be posted in each campus building. New employees will be notified of the policy by the Human Resources Management Office upon employment.

Signs shall be displayed at the entrances/exits of all campus buildings and other appropriate locations stating that smoking is prohibited within the building and/or area and that smoking is prohibited within twenty-five (25) feet of any exit, entrance or operable window of any campus building.

Reporting of Violations of the Policy

Violations of this policy should be reported to the appropriate administrator. There shall be no reprisals against anyone seeking assistance in enforcing this Policy.

Effective Date of Policy

This policy is effective as of September 7, 2004, and supersedes all previous CSUDH smoking policies.

Student Rights and Responsibilities

Student Responsibility

Each student is responsible for compliance with the regulations printed in the current catalog, in the current schedule of classes and with official notices posted on official bulletin boards.

Student Discipline

The University seeks to create the optimum climate for academic excellence for both students and faculty. Within this climate, students must have the opportunity to develop an understanding of their roles as citizens in a democracy. In order to achieve these goals, the University strives to minimize its regulatory controls over individual student conduct and to maximize the opportunity for student self-control and self-discipline. Students who attend the University are expected to conduct themselves in a manner compatible with the laws of federal, state and local governments, as well as with the stated purposes of the University.

Inappropriate conduct by students or by applicants for admission is subject to discipline as provided in Sections 41301 through 41304 of Title 5, California Code of Regulations. These sections are as follows:

Title 5, California Code of Regulations,
41301. Standards for Student Conduct.

(a) Campus Community Values

The University is committed to maintaining a safe and healthy living and learning environment for students, faculty, and staff. Each member of the campus community should choose behaviors that contribute toward this end. Students are expected to be good citizens and to engage in responsible behaviors that reflect well upon their university, to be civil to one another and to others in the campus community, and contribute positively to student and university life.

(b) Grounds for Student Discipline

Student behavior that is not consistent with the Student Conduct Code is addressed through an educational process that is designed to promote safety and good citizenship and, when necessary, impose appropriate consequences. The following are the grounds upon which student discipline can be based:

(1) Dishonesty, including:

(A) Cheating, plagiarism, or other forms of academic dishonesty that are intended to gain unfair academic advantage.

(B) Furnishing false information to a University official, faculty member, or campus office.

(C) Forgery, alteration, or misuse of a University document, key, or identification instrument.

(D) Misrepresenting one's self to be an authorized agent of the University or one of its auxiliaries.

(2) Unauthorized entry into, presence in, use of, or misuse of University property.

(3) Willful, material and substantial disruption or obstruction of a University-related activity, or any on-campus activity.

(4) Participating in an activity that substantially and materially disrupts the normal operations of the University, or infringes on the rights of members of the University community.

(5) Willful, material and substantial obstruction of the free flow of pedestrian or other traffic, on or leading to campus property or an off-campus University related activity.

(6) Disorderly, lewd, indecent, or obscene behavior at a University related activity, or directed toward a member of the University community.

(7) Conduct that threatens or endangers the health or safety of any person within or related to the University community, including physical abuse, threats, intimidation, harassment, or sexual misconduct.

(8) Hazing, or conspiracy to haze. Hazing is defined as any method of initiation or pre-initiation into a student organization or student body, whether or not the organization or body is officially recognized by an educational institution, which is likely to cause serious bodily injury to any former, current, or prospective student of any school, community college, college, university or other educational institution in this state (Penal Code 245.6), and in addition, any act likely to cause physical harm, personal degradation or disgrace resulting in physical or mental harm, to any former, current, or prospective student of any school, community college, college, university or other educational institution. The term "hazing" does not include customary athletic events or school sanctioned events.

Neither the express or implied consent of a victim of hazing, nor the lack of active participation in a particular hazing incident is a defense. Apathy or acquiescence in the presence of hazing is not a neutral act, and is also a violation of this section.

(9) Use, possession, manufacture, or distribution of illegal drugs or drug- related paraphernalia, (except as expressly permitted by law and University regulations) or the misuse of legal pharmaceutical drugs.

(10) Use, possession, manufacture, or distribution of alcoholic beverages (except as expressly permitted by law and University regulations), or public intoxication while on campus or at a University related activity.

(11) Theft of property or services from the University community, or misappropriation of University resources.

(12) Unauthorized destruction, or damage to University property or other property in the University community.

(13) Possession or misuse of firearms or guns, replicas, ammunition, explosives, fireworks, knives, other weapons, or dangerous chemicals (without the prior authorization of the campus president) on campus or at a University related activity.

(14) Unauthorized recording, dissemination, or publication of academic presentations (including handwritten notes) for a commercial purpose.

(15) Misuse of computer facilities or resources, including:

(A) Unauthorized entry into a file, for any purpose.

(B) Unauthorized transfer of a file.

(C) Use of another's identification or password.

(D) Use of computing facilities, campus network, or other resources to interfere with the work of another member of the University community.

(E) Use of computing facilities and resources to send obscene or intimidating and abusive messages.

(F) Use of computing facilities and resources to interfere with normal University operations.

(G) Use of computing facilities and resources in violation of copyright laws.

(H) Violation of a campus computer use policy.

(16) Violation of any published University policy, rule, regulation or presidential order.

(17) Failure to comply with directions or, or interference with, any University official or any public safety officer while acting in the performance of his/her duties.

(18) Any act chargeable as a violation of a federal, state, or local law that poses a substantial threat to the safety or well being of members of the University community, to property within the University community or poses a significant threat of disruption or interference with University operations.

(19) Violation of the Student Conduct Procedures, including:

(A) Falsification, distortion, or misrepresentation of information related to a student discipline matter.

(B) Disruption or interference with the orderly progress of a student discipline proceeding.

(C) Initiation of a student discipline proceeding in bad faith.

(D) Attempting to discourage another from participating in the student discipline matter.

(E) Attempting to influence the impartiality of any participant in a student discipline matter.

(F) Verbal or physical harassment or intimidation of any participant in a student discipline matter.

(G) Failure to comply with the sanction(s) imposed under a student discipline proceeding.

(20) Encouraging, permitting, or assisting another to do any act that could subject him or her to discipline.

(c) Procedures for Enforcing This Code

The Chancellor shall adopt procedures to ensure students are afforded appropriate notice and an opportunity to be heard before the University imposes any sanction for a violation of the Student Conduct Code.

(d) Application of This Code

Sanctions for the conduct listed above can be imposed on applicants, enrolled students, students between academic terms, graduates awaiting degrees, and students who withdraw from school while a disciplinary matter is pending. Conduct that threatens the safety or security of the campus community, or substantially disrupts the functions or operation of the University is within the jurisdiction of this Article regardless of whether it occurs on or off campus. Nothing in this Code may conflict with Education Code Section 66301 that prohibits disciplinary action against students based on behavior protected by the First Amendment.

(e) Summary of Civil and Criminal Penalties for Violation of Federal Copyright Laws

As referenced earlier in Section XXI, Student Conduct (15) (G) the penalties for copyright infringement include civil and criminal penalties. In general, anyone found liable for civil copyright infringement may be ordered to pay either actual damages or "statutory" damages affixed at not less than $750 and not more than $30,000 per work infringed. For "willful" infringement, a court may award up to $150,000 per work infringed. A court can, in its discretion, also assess costs and attorneys' fees. For details, see Title 17, United States Code, Sections 504, 505. Willful copyright infringement can also result in criminal penalties, including imprisonment of up to five years and fines of up to $250,000 per offense.

Title 5, California Code of Regulations, 41302.
Disposition of Fees: Campus Emergency; Interim Suspension.

The President of the campus may place on probation, suspend, or expel a student for one or more of the causes enumerated in Section 41301. No fees or tuition paid by or for such student for the semester, quarter, or summer session in which he or she is suspended or expelled shall be refunded. If the student is readmitted before the close of the semester, quarter, or summer session in which he or she is suspended, no additional tuition or fees shall be required of the student on account of the suspension.

During periods of campus emergency, as determined by the President of the individual campus, the President may, after consultation with the Chancellor, place into immediate effect any emergency regulations, procedures, and other measures deemed necessary or appropriate to meet the emergency, safeguard persons and property, and maintain educational activities.

The President may immediately impose an interim suspension in all cases in which there is reasonable cause to believe that such an immediate suspension is required in order to protect lives or property and to insure the maintenance of order. A student so placed on interim suspension shall be given prompt notice of charges and the opportunity for a hearing within 10 days of the imposition of interim suspension. During the period of interim suspension, the student shall not, without prior written permission of the President or designated representative, enter any campus of the California State University other than to attend the hearing. Violation of any condition of interim suspension shall be grounds for expulsion.

41303. Conduct by Applicants for Admission. Notwithstanding any provision in this Chapter 1 to the contrary, admission or readmission may be qualified or denied to any person who, while not enrolled as a student, commits acts which, were he enrolled as a student, would be the basis for disciplinary proceedings pursuant to Sections 41301 or 41302. Admission or readmission may be qualified or denied to any person who, while a student, commits acts which are subject to disciplinary action pursuant to Section 41301 or Section 41302. Qualified admission or denial of admission in such cases shall be determined under procedures adopted pursuant to Section 41304.

41304. Student Disciplinary Procedures for the California State University. The Chancellor shall prescribe, and may from time to time revise, a code of student disciplinary procedures for The California State University. Subject to other applicable law, this code shall provide for determinations of fact and sanctions to be applied for conduct which is a ground of discipline under Sections 41301 or 41302, and for qualified admission or denial of admission under Section 41303; the authority of the campus President in such matters; conduct related determinations on financial aid eligibility and termination; alternative kinds of proceedings, including proceedings conducted by a Hearing Officer; time limitations; notice; conduct of hearings, including provisions governing evidence, a record, and review; and such other related matters as may be appropriate. The Chancellor shall report to the Board actions taken under this section.

Student Right-to-Know Law

Under the federal Student Right-to-Know legislation, institutions of higher education are required to disclose information regarding graduation rates for first time, full-time, regularly enrolled freshman. Prospective and currently enrolled students may review this information on the CSU Dominguez Hills Division of Student Affairs webpage accessible at Questions regarding this information are referred to the Media Relations Office at the University.

The federal government requires that institutions of higher learning inform prospective and continuing students regarding information pertaining to campus crime statistics, graduation and transfer rates, Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), and athletic participation rates/financial support (Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act). In addition to CSUDH's Drug and Alcohol Policy, this information is available at the following web site:

Information concerning grievance procedures for students who feel aggrieved in their relationships with the university, its policies, practices and procedures, or its faculty and staff may be obtained from The Office of Human Resources Management. 1000 E. Victoria St. Carson, CA 90747. (310) 243-3771.

Veterans' Responsibilities

Students receiving veteran's benefits have several important responsibilities regarding their certification status for receipt of those benefits. These responsibilities are:

Prompt Notification of Withdrawal

It is the responsibility of each veteran student receiving benefits to notify the Office of Admissions and Records immediately upon withdrawal from the University. This is done through use of the Notice of Withdrawal form. The form, including last date of attendance, should be completed and submitted promptly upon cessation of attendance.

Prompt Notification of Change in Units

When a course is added or dropped, the veteran student must complete and submit the Change of Program form immediately, including last date of attendance for dropped courses, so that any necessary adjustment in certification may be prepared and submitted by the Office of Veterans' Affairs.

Enrollment in Proper Courses
for Graduate Level Students

Graduate level veteran students are reminded that full-time certification for eight units is based upon enrollment in eight units of graduate level (500) courses or undergraduate level courses which are part of the graduate program. Enrollment in eight units of courses other than courses in the graduate program does not constitute full-time enrollment status. The status of graduate level students enrolled in undergraduate courses not in the graduate program will be certified as less than full time.

Error processing SSI file