CSUDH Bannercsudh_banner index Page Search Page CSUDH Home Page

College of Professional Studies
Location: Welch Hall
Phone: 1- 800-344-5484
Fax: 310-516-3542

For more information related to the College, please contact Dean's Office : 310-243 -2046


Student Services

SCC Home l Advising l Important Dates l Contact us l Probation l FAQ l GPA Calculator l Helpful Links





Q         I got a “C-“in one of my major courses.  Do I have to take it again?
A         Yes, all Bachelor degree programs within the College of Health & Human Services require students to obtain a grade of “C” or better in all major courses.  As an undergraduate student, you can Repeat and Cancel up to 18 units in the courses in which you received a grade less than “C-“and replace your previous grade with your new grade. 
If you are in a CPS Graduate program, you need a “B” or better in all courses.  The Repeat and Cancel policy does not apply to Master’s or Post-Bachelor’s courses.

Q         How often should I see an academic advisor?
A         As an undergraduate matriculated student, you may visit your academic advisor when deemed suitable which requires setting up an appointment, please refer to the Advising link for the appropriate contact information.  Please note students are required to see an advisor at the 60 and 90 unit marks.  Graduate students should contact their faculty advisor with any specific inquiries.
For Nursing students: you have the option of requesting a telephone appointment.

Q         When do I meet with an advisor vs. faculty advisor?
A         You can meet with your faculty advisor by setting up an appointment with them directly.  Also, if you have specific questions regarding your major beyond the scope of the Student Services Center, you will be referred to you faculty advisor. 

Q         How many units can I transfer from my community college?
A         Students may transfer up to 70 units from a community college. Any course taken beyond the unit count of 70 will complete the requirement that the class fulfills but you will not receive additional units.

Graduation Questions

Q         How & when do I file for graduation?
A         As an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply for graduation a semester in advance of completing all requirements. You will need to schedule an appointment with your advisor prior to the graduation application deadline. The Application for Award of Degree will need to be signed by your advisor before you can pay the application fee at the Cashiers office.
As a graduate student, you are eligible to apply for graduation after the completion of at least 21 units and advancement to classified standing.
You can download the application for graduation here: http://www.csudh.edu/StudentAffairs/admissionsrecords/documents/form-graduation-application.pdf

For Nursing students:
Review your advising report, make sure all general education and major requirements are complete or in progress.  If you have questions regarding this report please call the student services center at (800) 344-5484 to schedule a telephone appointment with an advisor to review with you.

Graduation Application is available at http://www.csudh.edu/cps/son/forms.htm Please pay on line and fax application along with proof of payment to (310) 217-6800. 
Nursing advisor will review, sign and forward to the graduation unit for you.
For more information regarding graduation and commencement procedures, please visit the Graduation Commencement website: www.csudh.edu/commencement
The following are the graduation application deadlines:

If you anticipate graduation:  You must file the application during the preceding semester.
You must file an Application for Graduation form no later than:

Fall semester – July 1st
Late application - September 15th

Spring semester - October 1st
Late application - December 20th

Summer semester - February 1st
Late application - April 15th

Q         How do I know if I am eligible to graduate?
A         Please review your advising report via My.CSUDH.edu if you do not have any red squares (requirement not met) you should be eligible to graduate. 

General Education Questions

Q         What is G.E. certification and why do I need it?
A         Transfer students with complete certification of CSU general education breadth requirements are not held to additional lower division courses within the general education pattern. Accredited community colleges and public four-year colleges may certify all or part of your general education requirements. Transfer students should request that their college “certify” their general education.  An additional nine semester units of upper division General Education courses (Area F and G) must be completed at CSUDH.
To inquire if a lower division GE course is transferable visit www.assist.org

Q         I got my AA/AS degree, am I G.E. certified?
A         Not necessarily, by earning your Associates Degree, you have completed a lot of the requirements but not all of them.  It is suggested that you speak to a transfer counselor at your community college about G.E. Certification prior to requesting your official transcripts. You will need to request GE certification; it is not automatically done when requesting official transcripts.

Q         What is the GWE?
A         It is the Graduation Writing Exam.  The GWE is an option to satisfy the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR), it is a timed essay writing exam. You must earn a score of 8 or better to pass the exam.  If you do not receive a score of 8 or better, you are given one more attempt to pass.  For more information, please visit the Testing Office website: www.csudh.edu/testing.  Other alternatives include (English 350: Advanced Composition) or (IDS 397 and IDS 398).  It is recommended that you enroll in ENG 350 if you want and/or need writing experience.  This requirement must be satisfied around the 72 unit mark. 
For Nursing students: You have the option of taking the GWE on campus or with a proctor in your area.  If you opt to take the GWE with a proctor, refer to the Nursing forms web-link for instructions; you will need to submit an Examination Request/Proctor Agreement form prior to your respective deadline.

Registration Questions

Q         When do I register for classes?
A         Please refer to MyCSUDH for your registration appointment date and time.  The dates for registration are posted in the Academic Calendar which is located inside the Class Schedule. 

Q         When is the last day to drop?
A             The last day to drop with full refund would be the day prior to the semester beginning.  The last day to drop without a record of enrollment is at the end of the first three weeks of the semester.  After the third week of the semester, a Serious and Compelling Reason is required to drop courses, a “W” grade (Withdrawal) is assigned to your student record which does not affect your GPA.  If you do not officially withdraw, a “WU” grade will be assigned to your student record which does affect your GPA; a “WU” grade is equivalent to an F grade.  Please note, it is the student’s responsibility to notify your instructors if you need to drop your courses. 

Q         I can’t drop my class on MyCSUDH.  Is there any way I can still drop?
A         After the third week of classes, a student is required to drop with a Change of Program (ADD/DROP) form.  Students need to obtain the instructor, department chair, and dean’s signatures at this point. 
For Nursing students: After the third week of classes you will need to fax in the Change of Program (ADD/DROP) form which is available on the School of Nursing forms web-link. You will need to obtain an email approval from the instructor and fax a copy of the email with the Change of Program form.  Please print the email in memo style.
Please note that after we receive the form we must obtain approval from the Department Chair, and if you are dropping your class (es) after the 12th week of school,  we must obtain the Dean’s signature as well. This may lengthen the amount of time it takes to drop you from your courses.

Q         How/when do I get a refund? How much?
A         Refunds will be processed approximately three weeks after the third week of the semester for students who drop units prior to that respective date.  Refunds after the third week of the semester will be processed weekly.  All refunds are made in accordance with the Title V of the California Administrative Code; refer to the Prorata Table in the class schedule for refund amounts which are according to when you dropped your courses.  

Q         What do I do when I have a Hold?

A         If you have an Advising hold or an Academic Probation hold, you will need to set up an appointment with the academic advisor for your major.  If you have another type of hold, please contact the appropriate department.  For example, if you have a GWE hold, you will need to contact the Testing office, except for those Nursing students who opt to take the GWE with a proctor (refer to the School of Nursing website).