Our Mission, Values, and Goals
We collaborate to design and implement rigorous and relevant programs, recruit and support excellent candidates, develop interactive learning environments that foster student achievement and empowerment, pose critical questions, and engage in continuous improvement.
The School of Education, in partnership with P-14 schools, prepares deeply knowledgeable education professionals who are passionate about helping all students reach their full potential, and who make urban schools the places where children, families and teachers thrive.
SOE Beliefs and Commitments
Commitment to Advancing Student Learning
The School of Education at CSUDH is uniquely situated to have a lasting and positive impact on public schools and students within the Los Angeles region. We are deeply disturbed by the inequities and achievement gaps that are far too common in many of the schools in our area. Our common effort in initial and advanced credential programs, as well as our MA programs, is to prepare educators who will advance student learning, provide strong leadership and create supportive learning environments for all students. We are committed to preparing educators who will sustain school improvement, and educate all students to the same high learning outcomes.
Commitment to Diversity
The diversity on our campus and in our communities is a remarkable asset, and we draw on this to enhance teaching and learning on campus and in our clinical settings. Faculty and staff appreciate and value this diversity in all its forms: cultural, socioeconomic, religious, gender, linguistic and ability. We are committed to preparing educators who have the dispositions to appreciate and value this diversity among their students, families, colleagues and communities.
Core Belief Statements
Developed by faculty and centered on key themes in educator preparation, these statements express the strong values that underlie our professional work and that have long been held in the School of Education. These beliefs define our work together even when it branches out into different projects and endeavors. Each theme and statement stems from a strong knowledge base that includes theories and research from each of the disciplines present in our school.
- Access: We believe that every child is entitled to caring, competent and qualified teachers, administrators and counselors every year.
- Responsive Pedagogy: We believe that all students can learn when educators know them, have high expectations for them and provide them with appropriate instruction and scaffolding.
- Reflection: We believe that our academic programs and fieldwork must integrate current research, significant theory and public policy through reflective practices that result in continuous improvement.
- Growth: We believe that education professionals have an obligation to be a force for continual and positive growth for themselves, their students, their colleagues, and their communities. This gives purpose to our practice of continuous assessment and improvement.
- Collaboration: We believe that collaboration within and among all stakeholders and communities is integral to learning and to transforming schools.