As a University Intern, you will be able to teach for two years until you receive your Preliminary Credential. You will need to obtain the California State Intern Credential in order to enter the Intern Program. Following is a list of requirements for becoming a University Intern:
- Must have a full-time teaching contract in a public school general education classroom in grades K-12.
- Apply to the University (http://www.csumentor.edu/).
- Apply to Teacher Education Division (Multiple Subject or Single Subject). (The program application includes a full list of requirements for all applicants.)
- Contact Multiple/Single Subject Intern Support Office at email@example.com or 310-243-3997.
- Complete the three Phase I Intern Prerequisite Courses, with 3.0 GPA:
- TED 400 Introduction to Education
- TED 411 Classroom Management
- TED 407 Language Learning
- Ensure that you have met the Subject Matter Requirement. (Multiple Subject – passage of Multiple Subject CSET exam; Single Subject – passage of appropriate CSET exam appropriate, or completion of an approved subject matter program)
- Contact SOE Student Services to obtain and submit the California Intern Credential application.
Note: Once you have completed the prerequisite courses and met the Subject Matter Requirement, and you have obtained a full-time teaching contract, you may apply to the Intern Program at any time. It is not necessary to have a teaching contract when you begin the credential program.