Center for Service Learning, Internships, & Civic Engagement
CSUDH Inaugural Pow Wow
Honoring the Indigenous Peoples of the Americas
Pow Wow Pictures
Earth Day 2011
This year Earth Day and the Labor and Social Justice Fair joined forces to present The Labor and Environmental Justice Fair!
The event was celebrated throughout the campus with such illustrious speakers as Scott Cassell, CEO and founder of Undersea Voyage Project and rECOn Mission, and Jimi Castillo, Spiritual Leader of the Tongva/Gabrielino Nation. SEAMAGINE brought their fabulous underwater research submersible. Students lent energy with a flash mob.
The was also a screening of “Pirate for the Sea” documenting the efforts of ocean environmentalist Paul Watson to stop the poaching of whales, dolphins, seals and sharks. Director Ron Colby was on hand to answer questions following the screening and recorded the Q&A for later use.
Students from the Labor Studies did an incredible job organizing the fair with over 50 social and environmental justice organizations, free food, interactive workshops, guest speakers, art exhibits, orchid show, legal representatives, music, and a free environmental justice grantwriting workshop by Reside & Associates. For more, go to the DH Dateline Article.
Additionally, CSU Dominguez Hills continued its Earth Day commemoration on Saturday, April 23, with a community-wide electronic waste recycling event. More information is available here.
Patriot Day and National Day of Service and Remembrance, 2009
On September 10 and 11, the Office of Student Life and the Center for Service Learning, Internships, & Civic Engagement came together to honor the Day of Service and Rememberance by announcing 2009-2010 as The Year of the Volunteer.
Earth Day 2009
Earth Day went far beyone April 22 turning into Earth Month on the campus! The event started with our Earth Day Speaker Series hosted by the Anthropology Department and Associated Students, Inc. with environmental topics each week: Earth Day Speaker Series.
Earth Day was full of activities celebrating the earth: Earth Day Event.
The Earth Day Grande Finale concluded with a free showing of The Garden with the writer/producer Scott Hamilton Kennedy on hand for questions and answers: The Garden.
King Day of Service: Volunteer Day!
February 5, 2009
HIV/AIDS World Awareness Day
Check out the link above to find out about our World AIDS Awareness Day
held December 1.
SOUTHBAY FESTIVAL OF THE TREES
October 4, 2008
Students, staff, and faculty help the LA Conservation Corps, City of Carson, and Shell Oil plant over 300 trees throughout the city with help from CSUDH Office of Government and Community Relations.
The CSUDH Toro Green Team: David Gamboa, Cheryl McKnight, Dr. Hamoud Salhi and students from UNV 101, Political Science, and Biology.(Photo courtesy of Henry Fields, Sr.)
Dr. John Thomlinson, biologist from the CSUDH Center for Urban Environmental Research and Dr. Brynne Bryan, ecologist, explain the new programs in environmental research.
CSUDH EARTH DAY 2008
Top Left: Dean Margaret Blue with Miss Sherman Indian School (Alexis Villa) and the Chumash Intertribal Singers
Top Right: Connie Vadhiem of Save Our Unique Natural Diversity (Sound) giving away California plants
Bottom Left: Annie and Sarah Watanabe-Rocco enjoying the SEAmagine underwater research submersible
Bottom Right: Naomi Moy, Ryoko Onishi, dancer from OAA, Michelle Funderburk, Thomas Philo (Photo courtesy of Ryoko Onishi.)
Dancers from the Okanawa Association of America. From left, Naomi Moy, Yoshimichi Shinjo, Tsuruko Sadoyama, Itsumi Jacomo, Katsuko Teruya, Shizue Maleport, Harumi Wehner, Bill Ota, and honored guest Haruo Yamashiro, original architect of the garden. (Photo courtesy of Ryoko Onishi.)
Rod Hay, Director of the Center for Urban Environmental Research (CUER), announced the new Environmental Science Masters Degree program and the new Environmental Studies Bachelor Degree program. See Rod's keynote address and the winning environmental video at the CSUDH Earthday website below.
CSUDH EARTHDAY WEBSITE: http://ctl.csudh.edu/earthday2008/index.htm
Rafu Shimpo article: http://www.rafu.com/oaa.html
Dateline article: http://www.csudh.edu/univadv/dateline/archives/20080417/campusnews/thehills.htm
Earth Day Booths
- CTL –Service-learning objective presentation for faculty and sample syllabi
- Philosophy – Environmental Ethics
- Service Learning – Volunteer Opportunities in Sustainability
- CSUDH Center for Urban Environmental Research (CUER)
- Saving Our Unique Natural Diversity (SOUND)
- Honors – Ocean Theme
- Contest Submissions Display (table)
- Campus Recycling-Jose Robledo
- Rideshare-Cynthia Hunter-Jones – information and surveys
- Friends of the LA River-Jonathan Brooks
- Ancestor Walk Native Americans Saving the Earth
- Anthropology Club
- Underwater Research Submersible
- DH Catering – Recyclables
- Sierra Club
- Bill Stephens – Nature Photography
- Booth – Story of the CSUDH Japanese Garden
- Bonsai Display
Earth Day Events
- 10:00 Welcome to Earth Day/Contest Winners – Doug Borcoman- Palm Court
- 10:30 Tanika Spates – Importance of Civic Engagement in Sustainability- Palm Court
- 11:00 Chumash Intertribal Singers- Sculpture Garden
- 11:30 Ancestor Walk-Heidi Perez, Acjachemen- Palm Court
- 12:00 SEAmagine – Underwater Research using Submersibles- Palm Court
- 12:55 Free Drawing for 4 Knott’s Berry Farm Tickets- Palm Court
- 1:00 Rod Hay, Keynote Speaker - Palm Court
- 1:30 SOUND –The Importance of Using Native Plants
- 1:55 Free Drawing for 4 Knott’s Berry Farm Tickets- Palm Court
- 2:00 Greenhouse Tours (Greenhouse behind NSM Building)
- 2:30 Japanese Dancers- Sculpture Garden
- All Day – SEAmagine Hydrospace Submersible- Palm Court
The Center for Service Learning
The Center for Teaching and Learning
The Honors Program
The Office of Student Life
The Greek Council
Center for Service Learning Adminstrative Assistant Adriana Godoy helps staff member Ava Petty in her voter registration.
Festival of the Children Volunteer Day
May 18, 2008 South Coast Plaza
Adriana Godoy representing CSUDH at Volunteer Day held at South Coast Plaza
Adriana Godoy speaks to students about college life