A Justice Site
CSUDH - Habermas - UWP - Archives
California State University, Dominguez Hills
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Soka University Japan - Transcend Art and Peace
Created: August 1, 2002
Latest Update: September 4, 2003
Learning and Teaching
Site Copyright: Jeanne Curran and Susan R. Takata and Individual Authors, August 2002.
"Fair use" encouraged.
This teaching module is based on Learning and Teaching .
- Preparatory readings for module.
- Browse quickly through Those Infamous Grades and Letters of Recommendation. Be sure that you follow the links to the "Dog" letters, and that you read through some of the theory.
- "The Case Against Gold Stars" by Alfie Kohn.
The 5Cs - communication, consistency, competency, creativity, and cooperation continue to represent our standards for evaluation. Your coursework must show scholarly discipline in conceptually linking your learning to theory, policy, practice, and to course readings and discussions. Refer to Evidence of Learning .
- Keep in mind: Bloom and Krathwohl's Taxonomy of Learning: latent learning, recognition, recall, application, analysis, evaluation, and synthesis.
- Interactive Discourse
- Learning for Learning's Sake
- Keeping a Class Journal
- Listening in Good Faith to Hear Myself
- Index of Plagiarism for other sources.
- Cooperative Learning
- Explain in 25 words or so why we call some letters of recommendation "dog" letters.
- Explain in 25 words or so whether grades are connected to external or internal measures of learning.
- Explain in 25 words or so why we believe that authentication of learning must be interdependent and interactive. How could it be interdependent without being interactive?
Experiential activities related to module.
- Think back through classes you have taken. Describe in 25 words or less some work you did, studying, thinking, discussing the concepts, applying what you learned, that you are pretty sure your teacher did not know about.
- Describe how you might tell me about that work so that it would be included in your final evaluation.
- Throughout the semester we will check that you have provided us with some evidence of your learning. That will establish a continuity in your learning. You are invited to choose the measure of learning that fits your learning style best. Reports of learning must be interactive and interdependent. You are responsible for telling me what you have accomplished, verifying it with your journal, and then communicating a brief report to me.
- Before the semester ends, you might want to draft a letter of recommendation reflecting your work in this course. Such a letter should include evidence of your learning in this class.
Self-test questions related to module.
True or False? And explain briefly why it's true or false. (25 words or less)
- Students learn differently.
- Teachers basically teach the same way.
- There is typically a "right" answer.
- Affect has no appropriate place in learning/teaching.
- If you don't understand something introduced in class, it means that you're not learning.
Conceptual linking we had in mind as we prepared the module.
- Alfie Kohn. No Contest. Refer to Alfie Kohn
- Bloom & Krathwohl's taxonomy of learning.
- convergent production vs. divergent production
- Jerome Bruner.
- The affective and cognitive components of learning.