A Justice Site
"Galeano takes us on a dark tour throught the rabbit hole at the End of History. Like the revolutionary printmaker Posada, he unmasks the belle epoque of the bourgeoisie as a danse macabre of the masses. No one has focused greater moral clarity on the inhuman conditions and radical inequalities that sustain the mirage of the New Economy." Mike Davis, author of Ecology of Fear, from the book jacket.
Local Hub Sites
Latest update: November 12, 2000
jeanne and Susan Takata will be in San Francisco Wednesday
with JaiTee Speed and Marlene Boykin and Jaime Shepherd and Jerry Gilmore
Intertextuality as a Tool for Information Distribution Wednesday's Paper
Excluded Identities and Structural Violence Friday's Paper
For the American Society of Criminology Annual Meetings, where they will present two papers in separate panels. To find the papers: Link to the ASC Conference, then to the Alphabetical Participant Index, then to C for Curran, then to Curran, Jeanne, and then to either the Wednesday or the Friday session. Link to the Title of the Paper for the abstract.
Progressive Sociologists Network
Daily Additions to Site
The Girl with the Knife Painting at SFMOMA
Yoshitomo Nara at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art,
The Darker Side of Playland:
Childhood Imagery, from the Logan Collection.
Helnwein's Malevolent Mickey Mouse also in San Francisco MOMA Exhibit:
Gottfried Helnwein Link to Artist, then Biography.
Link to Works for the Adoration of the Magi as Fascist Officers.
Heavy symbolism typical of Helnwein's work.
Partial List of Texts Ordered for Spring 2001:
Recommended Readings for jeanne's Classes:
- For Theory Class
- For Criminology Class
- For Love and Peace Class
- For Moot Court Class
- For Graduate Methods (Extension) Class
Elections, 2000. Online.
- jeanne's lecture notes on Presidential Elections, 2000 Online.
- Multiple Interpretations: Desperately Seeking the President Online.
- Academic Discourse on Desperately Seeking the President Online.
- The Electoral College, Unfair From Day One By Akhil Reed Amar, Yale law Online.
- Conceptual linking to election issues Online.
- Knowingness: Something's funny in our culture Online.
- Radical Philosophy
Link to Issues List in left-most frame, then scroll down the whole list to Issue No. 103, September/October 2000. Link to that issue. Then link to "Empire, or Multitude: Transnational Negri," by John Kraniauskas.
This article gives you some important information on the 21st Century's beginning to re-interpret Marx. Online."It is `one of the most brilliant, erudite, and yet incisively political interpretations to date of the phenomenon called "globalization"' writes Chakrabarty [subalternist historian Dipesh Chakrabarty]; and more - `The first great new theoretical synthesis of the new millennium', according to Jameson, `a comprehensive new historical narrative, which is both a critique of a wide variety of contemporary theory and a prophetic call for energies to come'. Thus Empire arrives as a prepackaged intellectual event imprinted with its status as both a galvanizing political document and a fundamental critical diagnosis of contemporary global capitalism. Few works of radical criticism have been so well `placed' in the intellectual market. For Zizek, the authors offer us `nothing less than a rewriting of The Communist Manifesto for our time' which `ring[s] the death-bell not only for the complacent liberal advocates of the "end of history", but also for pseudo-radical Cultural Studies which avoid the full confrontation with today's capitalism'."
- Multiple Perspectives on Violence: Frantz Fanon Online.
- Social Policy: Between Theory and Practice Online.
Distributive Justice Class
- Academic Discourse: On Structural Violence in Institutions
- Nader, Gore, Bush and the Capitalist State by TR Young. Multiple Interpretations questions will go up later on the Presidential Elections, 2000. Also references to TR Young's site on Marx. Read ahead.Online.
- Women and Subservience in Reasoning Online.
- Multiple Perspectives on Violence: Frantz Fanon Online.
Love and Peace ClassRead Ahead:
On the Role of Spontaneity in Paradigm Shifts
- Play, Voluntary Discipline and Protocols of Improvisation Online.
By Marshall Soules, Ph.D. An article on the role of spontaneity. Example of artists trying to link conceptually. Online.
- Daniel Belgrad. The Culture of Spontaneity: Improvisation and the Arts in Postwar America. Online.
Chicago: University of Chicago Press. 1998. Pp. xii, 343. $29.00.
Review by Geroge H. Roeder, Jr.
Review of most recent and well-respected text on spontaneity, and important link to transforming discourse with paradigm shift in direction of mutuality. Online.
- A Homage to Jackson Pollock In this article an artist pays homage to Jackson Pollock and the role of spontaneity in his art. Online.
- Recognition and Recall: Graph Interpretation I Online.
- Recognition and Recall: Graph Interpretation II Online.
- Multiple Interpretations: Causal analysis in the presidential elections, 2000 Will put up Recognition and Recall later.
"Seen from over here I think that one of Nader's greatest contributions is to produce soul-searching within the Democratic party. Those who blame Nader for Gore's poor performance, show how difficult it is to separate cause from effect, or illness from symptom." Online.
- Multiple Interpretations: Privatizing Our PrisonsOnline.
- Multiple Interpretations: Demographics on Juvenile Justice in Madison, Wisconsin. Online.
- Multiple Interpretations: Cooperative Learning Online.
- Multiple Interpretations: Rehabilitation Online.
- Desperately Seeking Tables on Cooperative Learning Online.
- Desperately Seeking the President 2000 Online. Online.
- Academic Discourse on Desperately Seeking the President Online. <
- From Illuminated Manuscripts to Musical Instruments to Lutes in the 16th and 17th Century Online.