A Jeanne Site
Holding Pattern of Files and New Links
California State University, Dominguez Hills
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Latest update: May 31, 1999
Faculty on the Site.
Catch-Up: New Materials Starting May 1999
Violent Child and Three Strikes Law need development. Just started. May 31, 1999.
Social Work Links file needs updating with Ausubel flags. Someone nag me. Have been putting up HandsNet's Webclipper items.
Grades and Grading files being updated and going up.
New Index of Authors on Dear Habermas going up.
Stan Cameron recommends The Power of Photography, How Photographs Changed Our Lives. by Vicki Goldberg. "My first impression is that it may be a useful source for the project." The project is on Photography as Sociological Method, and the present work is Three Generals and a Naked Lady.
Barney Glaser wrote today to tell me that I need to read Doing Grounded Theory. Reckon I do, so I'll order it. In response to his catching some of my lacunae, I put up today a new file on Grounded Theory. Hadn't done that before because theory hadn't been our focus, but we certainly need a site section for it. What we will need soon is an entire theory section so that we can see the relationship across theories. This is particularly important since we keep crossing disciplines. Will start work on sections for Habermas, for Critical Theory. For now:
Grounded Theory: Doing It
Agencies and the Concept of Helping: Who and How?
Violence and Social Justice
Methods and Sampling
MORE TO COME!
Files Waiting for Additions or Setup
Links Waiting to Be Positioned in Appropriate Files
Files in Progress
- Added some theory because of a student (not sure where in the world he or she is) who sent us memo pages on how he/she is learning grounded theory and growing with that learning. Neat idea for a web page. And it's on geocities. Guess this means we'll be putting together some theory links for those of you who would like to try this interactive approach to mastering theory and measurement. But you'll have to nag me.
- Opportunities Adding new stuff, changing the navigation bar on it, and not finished when had to go to work on homepage navigation. Just scroll down, and you'll find everything. February 5, 1999
- Set of exercises, lecture notes, and links for computer class in social sciences. This set will dovetail with the request for student manuals for using the computer and the site. Not finished. Had to fix navigation table. Some of the material is on netclf98.htm, but some changed. February 5, 1999.
- Today it works! The wonders of technology. -- Can't get whatnew.htm to transfer to Web page. Problem is with new addition on Project Cool's Getting Started which launches tomorrow, January 25. Will need to change later.
- Put up "One Older Man Made a Difference", stories for the Older Adult Page. We need more of this sort of thing. And we need to cross reference these stories to those on challenge. Piece that's really missing here is the way that the wonderful old gentleman took the ritualized object right out of the hands of the prosecuting team. He got his message heard all over the U.S. Fly the flag to support the President. That is a one-sided argument, based on a ritualized symbol, the flag. That means that the House prosecution team now has to counter. Usually that means that since our constitution says that political speech is protected, you can't stop the supporters from flying the flag. But does that mean that when Congress flies the flag they are in support of the President? That often gives an advantage to the first one to adopt the ritualized symbol as part of his/her argument. To take a two-sided cognitive argument is a much harder task. This is not a simple issue. It ties into the same threads of understanding as the swaztika, the burning cross, the cross, and many many other cultural symbols. Try to take the role of advocacy and see both sides' perspective.
Now the really big issue? Where shall I put this rather important piece of analysis so you can find it? Where shall I put impeach.htm so you can find the link easily? It would fit under Criminal Justice and Social Change, but if I were new to the site, I wouldn't think to look for it there. It can't stay here in holding patterns forever. We have to cite the research on one-sided and two-sided arguments, and that won't fit here. And it can't stay in NEWS for as long as we need it. Where should it go???
- motorcyc.htm will be the page for the photo study on motorcycles and the voice of their riders. I've only just opened it up.
- Partially done. Put up Judicial committee of House, and linked in Ransby's Black Feminist Critique of Clinton, and lined in Zinn's Ten Reasons to Impeach Clinton. Thanks to Susan for finding some of those lost links. Put up some information on both sides of impeachment issue. On What's New , whatnew.htm. I'm trying to balance perspectives by providing you with the spectrum of feelings on this issue. But that takes a while. I need to review the sites. I'm trying to find one like Censure and Move On, that tries to deal with the issue apart from the partisan stance. Suggestions welcome. Remember that we are an educational site. Respect for all validity claims and good faith hearings to all perspectives.
- Partially done. Put up motorcyc.htm on voices and validity claims from the motorcycle riders. Put up motorcycle section on museums.htm, link through Museums and Galleries. Just a couple of links. More to come.
- 1/22/1999 Lawacc.htm needs fixing. My law links are scattered all over the place because so many courses use them. Now we'll just collect them all here in categories. But it's minimally useful until I get to it. Same thing with womacc.htm That still has the old syllabus on it. Nag me. jeanne
- Done! 1/22/1999. Working on cjln04.htm on Moral Alchemy in Media Reporting
- 1/22/1999. Created intlink.htm, intlink1.htm, and intlink2.htm. Not all links properly transferred to them yet. But had some criminal justice work to put up. Put themin hldng.htm. intlink1.htm is introductory. intlink2 will have Berkeley links and already has Project Cool for beginning web pages. Will ink in lots of manuals, but will also provide our own Dear Habermas beginning instruction.
- 1/21/1999. Set up letrecfrm.htm on letters of recommendation and how to get them. Just the preliminary part is up, but it's the part that tells you how to establish the relationship in the beginning. So start working on it. The file is linked through What's new and will be linked through the writing.htm and the writing section.
- 1/19/1999. Created interdep.htm to put up information on environmental issues just coming to the fore. Ny Times article on 1/19/1999 on this issue. Issue is basically whether the huge profits being taken from corporate America by the very rich are creating a special interest group of people with unlimited discretionary income who can then buy up choice recreational real estate near public lands dedicated to recreation, thereby running up the cost of recreation, and destroying the existing communities. Big issue. File has only brief reference to NY Times article.
- 1/17/1999. Need to create a Music as Sociological Method Page. Should go with the other sociological methods pages under FEATURES. Will ask Dave Bradfield to help. Seems to me it should be a combination of music history and of the kind and amount of information contained in the music. For example, as a sociologist I want to know how, say, Verdi, compared in expression of truth claims for the general populace to how Lloyd Weber and others function in that capacity today. In terms of information, Prof. Rod Butler pointed out the "low information" of the music accompanying the Yosemite video. We need to know more about that, as sociologists.
- Started science file at science.htm. Need to link neutrino.htm and the public use of telescopes, etc.
- Created file later.htm for poem. Holding for artwork. Not linked.
- Started. Science up, but not finished. Concepts for Kids 'n Us needs an access file for Science, History, Fairness, and Art and Poetry. For now I've just linked to a file on that issue.
- Done! Have Ryave's paper on compliments up, but html not working properly. Need to fix it and link it. On the importance of giving compliments and how we tend to withhold them. conversational analysis.
- Need to put up "les mots geles" by Rabelais, story of Pantagruel and Panurge when battle sounds from last Winter melt as they cross the ocean in summer sun. Can't find it in the volume I Have of Pantagruel. If anyone finds it, in French or English, let me know. The story fits under apperceptive mass - once words have been spokend, once acts acted, the experience of them may occur unpredicatably and at any time, which is why we need to forgive and to realize that our information is not always the ultimate truth. (Soros Foundation motto)
- Technology Access, like co-optation, merely defines the issues. More later. File: techacc.htm accessed through link in forums.htm, which is accessed through forums link in Discourse.
- Started. Preliminary definitions up. --Co-optation of forums - will consist of material from the Agencies course, in which we consider co-optation by special interest groups as a major issue. Has for now bare minimum on definition of the issues.
- Started! Have been clearning up default.htm. Gonna take a while.
- Teaching Tolerance, tchtoler.htm, have not finished linking classroom activities. Did one on vision impaired, but did not get to Martin Luther King and several other activities we should link to.
- Done! Preliminary definitions up. concepts.htm
- Also need to finish comments.htm. Both concepts and comments are to guide students in submission and need to be finished soon.
- Site tour. That's still under hontour.htm, forgot why, but too messy to change. The paper on ineractivge teaching and narrative identity essentially mapped the tour. But it's gotta be finished and put onto sitetour.htm or hontour. htm, and those two have to be merged into one file, which means link-check.
- Done! sitehist.htm Gotta transfer stuff off of siteadd.htm, which is cumbersome. Put it in small files.
- Started! Introduction and Basic Legal Concepts up. Gotta put up moot court materials and all the downloads.
- Need to add blind art student's story to challenge stories. But need to create a special file for them, otherwise will get too long. Right now her story is on challenge.htm and can be linked through Voice: Challenge on dh navigation bar.
New Links to Be Distributed Across Files
Links brought to my attention by he World Justice Information Net:
"Concerning Problems of Criminal Procedure Law Connected with Information Technology"
Recommendation No. R (95) 13 of the Committee of Ministers to Member States. Should go to netacc.htm, but need new file. Should also go to crimjacc.htm.
American Society of Criminology
ASC Call for Papers
Deadline March 31, 1999. Should go to crimjacc.htm, if not already there.
Family conferencing and juvenile justice: the way forward or misplaced optimism? Edited by Christine Alder and Joy Wundersitz
Files available in pdf format. Should go to juvacc.htm
Y2K Survey of America's Counties Should go to netacc.htm, but need new file for this.
President's Council on Y2K Conversion Should go to netacc.htm.
"Wasn't That a Time" Columbia University Exhibit - Photo Study on Civil Rights. Photos and stories available online. Should go into crimjacc.htm and to photo study project file, which needs to be created.
Human and Constitutional Rights A Columbia University Law School Site. The Civil Rights Photo Study Exhibit is on this site.
LegiFrance La loi en France. French law. A government site. Other French site links given. Should go to lawacc.htm file, and need new file for such access.
JobTrak Help with Graduate and Professional Schools, Law Schools,
Business Schools, and Financial Aid External Site
Came upon this link when searching for summer internships.
Jobtrak works on jobtrak.com, but the old financial aid link is
not working. You may need to register to get it to work.
February 1999 justice links on counterfeiting and fraud. Jeanne will transfer and put up as soon as possible. February 5, 1999.
A Brief Counterfeiting History in U.S. , Reginald Group
Brief essay on history of counterfeiting.
State of the Art Software to Prevent Credit Card Counterfeiting.
Has some online fact sheets. Primary emphasis is corporate, but
should give you a good sense of the issues. Link added February 5, 1999.
Counterfeiting, Forgers, and New Technologies
Companies specializing in document security provide information on counterfeiting checks,
and protections against it. link added February 5, 1999.
New set of links just in from justinfo. Will go on crimjacc.htm.
- Lawyers Association of Buenos Aires
Asociacisn de Abogados de Buenos Aires
- Buenos Aires Bar Association
Colegio de Abogados de Buenos Aires
- Informacion Legislativa
- El Ateneo Bookstore and Publisher
Librerma y Editorial El Ateneo
- . Bar Association of San Isidro - Colegio de Abogados de San Isidro
- Department of Justice - Ministerio de Justicia
- National Ombudsman, Argentina - Defensor del Pueblo de la Nacisn
- Federal Police of Argentina - Policia Federal de Argentina
- Official Bulletin of Argentina - Boletmn Oficial de la Repzblica
- Senado de la Nacion
These materials are brought to you by the World Justice
Information Network, http://www.justinfo.net, administered
by the Rule of Law Foundation, http://www.rol.org, with
support from the National Institute of Justice of the
United States Department of Justice, and the Bureau for
International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs of the
United States Department of State.
Argus Clearing House of Net Resources and Links
Link added January 27, 1999.
Carleton College Resource Links
Link added January 27, 1999.