A Justice Site
CSUDH - Habermas - UWP - Archives
California State University, Dominguez Hills
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Created: April 11, 2005
Latest Update: April 12, 2005
I knew it; I knew it; I knew it. I think it was Darcy who wrote last Fall, "You said it would happen, jeanne, and sure enough it did." Every semester when I start testing some new template for giving you continuous notice for a transparent, collaborative grading policy, meaning one that you can see what I'm giving grades for, and you can participate in the social construction of your grade, I have to put up my first tentative efforts, to see if they work and share them with you. Invariably, someone doesn't read the file. I get an instantaneous "Wheres' mine?"
I've barely got the template worked out for transferring from transfom_dom to the learning records evidence of your learning. And then establishing a continuing report of a grade. I'm doing it for Independent Study on Religion as Present Social Issue this semester. There are reportedly 50 of you. But I don't get the enrollment records directly. So I'm trying to get all that up now so we'll have no rush at the end of the semester.
Sure enough, in this morning's email, Inez Mayor wrote: "I am enrolled in your 497 class, but I do not see my name on the list. Is there anything I need to do?" YES! Look at what the file says. Look at what Daily Site Additions says. I'm just starting the file, making up a template. And I have no list to go from.
HERE'S WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP WITH THE LEARNING RECORDS:
- Please be patient. I'm constructing the files. Watch them as they grow.
- You can help me get to your record faster by emailing me, either on transform_dom or at habermas.org the number of messages on transform_dom that you've like me to use for your record. I don't put up all of your messages. Just a few to represent evidence of what you've learned. I'm goiing up the list from the present as fast as I can, but that's kind of slow when we're trying to change over software on the computer.
- Be aware, for a few days at least, I can't send out email to you. Glitch in the computer. So check the learning records to see if I've added something for you to the lists.
- There are two files you need to check:
- Learning Records for Spring 2005 Adding slowly to learning records from messages on transformdom. sorry for delay. This will take a while, but if you'll send me your messages numbers, it will help me get it up faster. Please be patient with me. I'm retired this semester. jeanne
- Learning Records with Grades for Spring 2005 I'm trying to set up a record sheet that will let you know that I have adequate material on learning records to justify your grade. If I put up a B that may just mean I need more material, not that there was something wrong with what you submitted. I'm including brief comments. Mostly today, I just set up a template for doing this. If you've got a message on transform_dom that would you would like me to use for grade evidence, just send me the message no. at jeanne. Otherwise, I'll just keep going through the transform_dom discussions in reverse chronological order. jeanne
- That's it. if you each send me the numbers of the messages you want me to look at for learning records evidence, I can probably go pretty quickly.
- Please note that the grade I put up is based on evidence to date. That doesn't mean the course is over, it just means you have an updated feedback on my translation of your work into a grade, and that I won't put more evidence into the learning records evidence file unless you ask me to. Sometimes you write a really good piece and you want that included for posterity in the learning records. That I will add for you, if you alert me that you'd like it added.
- There are 50 of you this semester. So do be patient, please. And thanks to Inez Mayor for having asked about all this nicely. She didn't fuss. She asked if there were anything she should do. Manners matter.
- If any of you are still confused, ask me on transform_dom, and I'll answer it in my daily blogs until we get my send function for email fixed.
- ONE LAST IMPORTANT ISSUE:
If you aren't sure what my grading is based on, what I'm looking for, then read through the file on Evidence for Learning Records: Learning Records for Spring 2005. I put these records on an open file, so that you can see what other people are doing to satisfy class requirements. You're encouraged to take ideas from them and apply them to your own interests. That is called transparency in grading. Instead of saying "that's not enough to earn an A", we are saying "well, look at this, this is a good example of what we're giving an A for." For goodness' sakes use that help. Transparency is a tool that permits you to hold me accountable for what goes into my grading. And the records are in an open file so that you have a chance to call my attention to the things you really want to count for your grade. That's called collaboration in grading.
Good luck. Hope this helps. jeanne