A Justice Site
jeanne's classes - Susan's classes - KID's Version
Previous Issue: Volume 13, No. 14, Week of August 19, 2002
Mirror Sites: CSUDH - Habermas - UWP - ARCHIVES
TOPICS INDEX - Concept Index - Vocabulary Index - SITE INDEX
Daily Site Additions - Site Stats - SITE MAP
California State University, Dominguez Hills
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Soka University Japan, Transcend Art and Peace
Latest Update: August 29, 2002
This painting was done in response to Dante McGalen's poem, which arrived on Saturday, August 24, 2002. Since the painting based on Los Desparecidos de Guatemala had been up the previous week, I figured I'd better to change to a new one, so we won't get the issues mixed up. In my response to Dante's poem, Fukeritaville, I saw a split between the normative hallway settings and the sanctity of my office, seen only through the keyhole. There are symols denoting the exlusion fostered by normativity and the hostility of competitiveness in the normatively administered hallways. The bars were an intended barrier, out of which woman has spiritualized, right through the keyhole of her office, into which MAN cannot find his way..
The keyhole represents both the deep mystery of woman, of Lilith, of a threatening bird about to poke its beak through the keyhole. But there you will also find Mother Earth, a virgin, a friendly extraterrestial, and MAN lifting his arms in an appeasing gesture to WOMAN. All this, because Dante's poem led me to reflexively consider my own authenticity of identity. Thanks, Dante.
Merriam-Webster Dictionary Search: * * *
NEW for the Week of August 26, 2002
- Lecture Notes Up from Thursday, August 29.
- Fall 2002 Courses With Susan (UWP) and jeanne (CSUDH).
- Texts for Fall Courses
- Syllabus for Women in Society
Class Page for Women in Society
- Syllabus for Sociology of Law
Class Page for Sociology of Law
- Syllabus for Moot Court and Social Justice
Class Page for Moot Court and Social Justice
- Syllabus for Graduate Seminar on Reinterpreting Theory
Class Page for Reinterpreting Theory Up shortly.
Theoretical Musings for Us by Us
- Ethics? Rules? The Other? This piece offers a joke shared over a listserv on theory. How to become a CEO. Link added August 21, 2002.
- Sample Contents: Michael Daniels' Article on the Habermas-Foucault Debate Impressive article by a junior at Trinity Univesity in San Antonio. I plan to add explanatiory notes for those of you who may not have an adequate theory background for Michael's thesis, but restructuring the site has to come first. jeanne. Link added August 3, 2002.
Lived Experience: Emancipatory Narratives
- Fukeritaville A poem sent to jeanne by Dante McGalen. And jeanne's response to Dante. Consider both in terms of subjective authenticity. Link added August 24, 2002.
- The Commodification of Water in Bolivia This piece led me to a description of what had happened with the commodifiction of water in China this summer. The issue of commodification for me made more sense and struck home because of the recognition narrative on China. Link added August 21, 2002.
- Sample Contents: Transforming Discourse: Frankie and Johnny Personal reaction to review of new play; things we do to restructure our identities. Expressions from our own lived experience. Link added August 4, 2002.
- Los Desparecidos de Guatemala Using art to bring awareness. Focus particularly on the power of color and line in adding to the aesthetic voice. Link added August 22, 2002.
- See also Fukeritaville Link added August 25, 2002.
- Sample Contents: Ten Little Indians Miller Updegraff, Artist
September Exhibition at Gallery 825, La Cienega Blvd. Fine art paintings invoke nostalgia which puts us in touch with our authentic history, contributing to transformed discourse. Link added August 7, 2002.
Classes, Workshops, and Lifelong Learning
Index of Site Teaching Modules: Our Topical Index
Navigating the Site