A Justice Site
jeanne's classes - Susan's classes - KID's Version
Previous Issue: Volume 14, No. 1, Week of August 26, 2002
Mirror Sites: CSUDH - Habermas - UWP - ARCHIVES
TOPICS INDEX - Concept Index - Vocabulary Index - SITE INDEX
Daily Site Additions - Site Stats - SITE MAP
California State University, Dominguez Hills
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Soka University Japan, Transcend Art and Peace
Latest Update: September 2, 2002
I got to the Getty's Indonesian Puppets while checking out old files to go with a new piece on art tools for teaching. The link was broken, and curiosity led to the file on Indonesian Puppets, from a show we saw last year at the Getty. The site said so much to me of alterity and recognition and transforming the disciplines along with the rest of the public sphere, that I wanted you to see them. Then I figured I wanted you to see them as I saw them. And so the painting.
Now, for art, alterity, and transforming discourse: what attracted me so to the Getty page on the Indonesian Puppet Performance is that it performs, at least if you have Flash, and it's a "powerfully creative" and imaginative way to present issues of alternative identities . It gets your attention. It tells a story of entertainment in Indonesia, and invites you to join in. Notice that I couldn't resist drawing my own version. And notice what I did with background color in this piece. It somehow seemed natural, the very bright colors. Having just come home from the area, Thailand, the bright colors are still fresh in my mind. But I split them. That also seemed natural and reminiscent of a culture caught in two worlds as they modernize.
As I came upon them on the Getty site, I felt drawn by recent familiarity. That's the value of narrative. Hearing the stories, seeing the images, one becomes accustomed to them. They become familiar, not strange. That awareness makes it easier for their voices to be heard, for us not to make unstated assumptions about who and what they are, but to listen to their voices tell their story. Go to Interacting with Art to visit the Getty performance. And go to Powerfully Imaginative Speech for Donna Woods' comments on Maria Pia Lara' theoretical perspective on recognition. jeanne
Merriam-Webster Dictionary Search: * * *
NEW for the Week ofSeptember 2, 2002
The class announcements will stay up for the first couple of weeks until we're all settled in. jeanne
- Learning Records to Updated Sept. 6 but not complete.
- Women in Crime Start of series for those who wish to read in this area.
- Commentary on Lectures: September 6, 2002.
- Lecture Notes Up from Thursday, September 5.
- Commentary on Lectures: September 3, 2002.
- Lecture Notes Up from Wednesday, September 4.
- Lecture Notes Up from Tuesday, September 3.
- Lecture Notes Up from Thursday, August 29.
- Lecture Notes Up from Tuesday, August 26.
- Fall 2002 Courses With Susan (UWP) and jeanne (CSUDH).
- Texts for Fall Courses
- Syllabus for Women in Society
- Syllabus for Sociology of Law
- Syllabus for Moot Court and Social Justice
- Syllabus for Graduate Seminar on Reinterpreting Theory
Theoretical Musings for Us by Us
- Sample Contents: Michael Daniels' Article on the Habermas-Foucault Debate Impressive article by a junior at Trinity Univesity in San Antonio. I plan to add explanatiory notes for those of you who may not have an adequate theory background for Michael's thesis, but restructuring the site has to come first. jeanne. Link added August 3, 2002.
Lived Experience: Emancipatory Narratives
- Sample Contents: Transforming Discourse: Frankie and Johnny Personal reaction to review of new play; things we do to restructure our identities. Expressions from our own lived experience. Link added August 4, 2002.
- Sample Contents: Ten Little Indians Miller Updegraff, Artist
September Exhibition at Gallery 825, La Cienega Blvd. Fine art paintings invoke nostalgia which puts us in touch with our authentic history, contributing to transformed discourse. Link added August 7, 2002.
Classes, Workshops, and Lifelong Learning
Index of Site Teaching Modules: Our Topical Index
Navigating the Site