A Justice Site
jeanne's classes - Susan's classes - KID's Version
Previous Issue: Volume 14, No. 4, Week of September 16, 2002
Mirror Sites: CSUDH - Habermas - UWP - ARCHIVES
TOPICS INDEX - Concept Index - Vocabulary Index - SITE INDEX
Daily Site Additions - Site Stats - SITE MAP
California State University, Dominguez Hills
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Soka University Japan, Transcend Art and Peace
Latest Update: September 20, 2002
The Cathedral of the Angels
Intimacy and Solidarity: What Does It Mean?
A new $200 million dollar cathedral has just opened in Los Angeles. To the Glory of God? In this painting I have attempted to combine the spirit of Patrick Graham's philosophy of painting and art and the death of art and the rediscovery of painting with the philosophical and social theories we have been discussing of the tension between the individual and the community, intimacy and solidarity, authenticity and normative prescription, the silence of denial and the poverty of tradition unexamined.
For further development of both the painting and the issues see Theory and Life Experiences: Art with Patrick Graham and Painting Is Dead: Rediscovering Painting
|Merriam-Webster Dictionary Search:|
NEW for the Week of September 23, 2002
Index on Comments
American Society of Criminology Annual Conference
Chicago, Tuesday, November 12 through Saturday, November 16.
Our first session is Wednesday morning at 9:30 a.m.Participants by Alphabetical Index Link to Alphabetical Index of Participants. Then link to C for Curran and scroll down to Curran, or enter T for Takata. She's second on the list, so you won't even have to scroll. Link on the session number for a description of the session and for links to abstracts.
Jeanne and Susan have papers for four slots. That means that we can include students in most of those spots. If you are interested in attending and/or joining in the presentation, you need to let us know, so we can work together on the presentations. For me and Susan, the ASC is one of our primary professional associations. The opportunity to participate in this conference is an educational experience you will never forget. For some of you, employers may assist with travel funds. Maybe the school will help. But we need to move on this very quickly. Susan and I do not have any special funds available to get any of us there this year. So give a fund raiser! But reservations will need to be made soon. jeanne
Interim Evaluation Report on the Dear Habermas Project The interim report is offered so that students can look at the evaluation design and have meaningful input for the Spring 2002 Evaluation.
Grades and Learning Records - First Semester Report Enrollment is complete as of Fourth Week roster. Some comments are up, but many more will go up on Monday. I started with the comments files. Did 04, 05, 06, and 07. That got the middle ones in up first. I'll go back tomorrow to 03, and then to the lectures that have comments. And then I'll put up all the ones from my files that hadn't gone up yet. It may still take a few days. Sorry, jeanne.
* * *.Start of the discussion on the Lionel Tate Case Ken Padowitz sent us a letter from the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, discussing the case, to get us started on the issue of social justice, juveniles, and major crimes. UWP, you're welcome to join in this discussion. jeanne
On Thursday, Father Fabian Obi (Nigeria) and Father Ted Nelson Adjakpey (Ghana) visited with us in our Women in Society Class. Commentaries are up. More will go up on Monday. jeanne
Lecture Notes, Study Notes, and Comments Index for Whole Set.
Theoretical Musings for Us by Us
- Identity, Charisma, and Solidarity Essay on conceptually linking our discussions of identity and solidarity to an article on Charisma by Charles Lindholm of Boston University. Link added September 23, 2002.
- Lecture Notes from September 24 On Illocutionary Force. Link added September 24, 2002.
- Sample Contents: Michael Daniels' Article on the Habermas-Foucault Debate Impressive article by a junior at Trinity Univesity in San Antonio. I plan to add explanatiory notes for those of you who may not have an adequate theory background for Michael's thesis, but restructuring the site has to come first. jeanne. Link added August 3, 2002.
Lived Experience: Emancipatory Narratives
- Antelope Valley Ranchers' Killer Gets 32 to Life By Wendy Thermos. Los Angeles Times. September 21, 2002. At p. B4. Backup. This is a report of the sentencing for the murder case. Practice module on the case up soon. jeanne
- Sample Contents: Transforming Discourse: Frankie and Johnny Personal reaction to review of new play; things we do to restructure our identities. Expressions from our own lived experience. Link added August 4, 2002.
- A Provocative Look at Latino Art By Fred Alvarez. Exhibit: Oxnard's Carnegie museum offers a show that explores cultural roots, with works packed with social commentary. Los Angeles Times. September 21. 2002. Backup.
- Late Summer by Duval Eliot On the Oxnard Carnegie Museuem Site. Backup.
- Sample Contents: Ten Little Indians Miller Updegraff, Artist
September Exhibition at Gallery 825, La Cienega Blvd. Fine art paintings invoke nostalgia which puts us in touch with our authentic history, contributing to transformed discourse. Link added August 7, 2002.
Classes, Workshops, and Lifelong Learning
Classes and Lifetime Learning
- Records of Learning As of September 25. Many comments still to go up. jeanne
- Lecture Notes: September 24, 2002 On Illocutionary Force. Link added September 24, 2002.
- Lecture Notes: September 25, 2002 Illocutionary Discourse on Teaching for Peace and Social Justice. Link added September 25, 2002.
- Lecture Notes: September 25, 2002. Research for a Cure? Or Acceptance and Comfort? Christopher Reeves. Link added September 25, 2002.
- Comments on Recent Lectures: September 25, 2002. Link added September 25, 2002. Reference:
- Comments Index by Topic Link added September 25, 2002.
- Site Map
- Finding Stuff
Plausible Reading and Study for Week 5:
Not up yet. I was dreaming. Learning Records took all weekend. jeanne
Evaluation of Site Teaching Practices
Navigating the Site
On-Going Project Evaluation