A Justice Site
I will be in on Tuesday, December 9 and Wednesday, December 10 from about 1:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. - no classes - just discussion time in my office: SBS B 336. Be sure to check on and finalize your grades to avoid clerical mistakes, and
Sign up for Independent Study if you will be participating in the
Spring 2004 Naked Space Exhibit.
Beginnings of the Fall 2003 Gala Exibition: Naked Space Report, destined to be submitted for the American Sociological Association Meetings in San Francisco in August 2004. Please follow the report as I write and e-mail your comments and your contributions. It's still naked space, and this is a community product.
jeanne's schedule - Susan's Class Page Archive NEW
Pat's schedule - About Us - Class Materials - Open Access
Previous Issue: Volume 18, No. 12, Week of November 10, 2003
Mirror Sites: CSUDH - Habermas - UWP
TOPICS INDEX - SITE MAP - SITE INDEX
KIDS, Etc. - ARCHIVES - Daily Site Additions
Amazon.com - Academic Resources - TUTORING HELP
California State University, Dominguez Hills
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Soka University Japan, Transcend Art and Peace
Latest Update: December 9, 2003
Seeing Us Differently!
Topic of the Week:
I woke up at noon on Friday with a big grin on my face. Thanks, everyone. I had a great time. Here's my first drawing. I have no idea why the icons that came to mind did. I will do several paintings, but here's the start. The dancers seemed to embody the whole naked space discussion of the semester. Michael Griffin and I agreed that when you follow the voices of answerability sometimes 2 + 2 = 5, not 4. The Coptic Priest stuck in my head along with the paintings of the Virgin and our many explorations of religion and spirituality. You know I had to cross out you KNOW. and SILENCE is disappearing right off the canvas with the Virgin.
I was surprised at how many people came and had fun. I was even surprised by some people who didn't come. We'll be doing a Spring Exhibit. I've asked Michael Griffin and Zerrona Fitts to direct it. Those of you who plan to work on projects for that exhibit need to plan ahead and you'll have to make do with Independent Study credit, for as you'll recall, Pat and I will be on the Queen Mary's maiden voyage in January. But planning for the Spring Exhibit will go on. I'll be in next week to sign people in and to finish up all the details. No classes next week. But Ill be in my office on Tuesday and Thursday from about 1:30 to 7:00 p.m. or so. jeanne
Saturday, December 6, 2003: And the ripples of sharing and bringing to awareness begin: Participatory Visuals: Painting A Whole Different Way of Seeing Walkers and Wheelchairs and Different Abilities. Voices trickle upward, from those who are first able to hear them, to others who knew they must be there and recognize them, to others who never realized there were voices to be heard. May Mary Conner's decision to paint from the elderly woman's photo of her friend achieving independence with a walker leave as many seeds of understanding as that first photo. Naked Space expanding. jeanne
And be sure to check out this site: I liked it. The Surprising and Abiding Opposites" at the Terrain Gallery, New York, By Carrie Wilson . See the e-mail about it at Sharing Art and Social Justice
And share the artwork on River of Words that was featured in Parade Magazine last week. Irma Peinada told me about it. I had missed it in the fury to prepare Naked Space. Thanks for alerting me about this wonderful site that features now some work of young Afghanistan artists. Maybe a print of their work would make a nice Christmas or Hanukkah or Kwanzaa present for a young person who needs encouragement in his/her creative endeavors. Check out the whole site: River of Words Internet Site
Tuesday, December 9, 2003: Katie Williams forwarded us a flippant and humorous piece that reflects the local culture of the Naked Lady Syndrome. Offers the possibility of a project for the Spring Exhibit. We haven't done much with the social role of humor, and we should.
Fall 2003: Naked Space Working on the Catalog. jeanne December 5, 2003.
A Multimedia Exhibition of the
Sociology of Answerability
Wednesday, December 3 and Thursday, December 4, 2003
Loker Student Union, CSUDH
10:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Both Days
sponsored by Dear Habermas Website as evolved from Moot Court
Explanation of Aesthetic Process and Definition of Naked Space First draft by jeanne. You're all welcome to join in. Will try to finish it on Monday, but have to take time out to go for flu shot. jeanne
Michael Griffin's poem on Naked Space Exhibition Schedule - In Progress - Please Check Rough draft of Invitation. Katie Williams in charge. Limited time to get this out. Invitation background painting - tentative Invitation background - tentative Added Thursday, November 7, 2003. More on the invitation and the flyer:New Ideas, shared by Professor Dorsey Be sure to get your ideas in soon. jeanne Response from invitees - just starting. Be sure to let jeanne know of anyone you invite so she can include them on the invitee list.
First Draft of Catalog for Naked Space Fall 2003:
- Sunday, Nov. 2 added Belly Wisdom.
Coloring Book on Answerability and the Statue of Liberty For the Fall 2003 Exhibition.
We welcome you to consider other coloring sheets that might bring our visitors to awareness of the crucial issues today in our lived experience. We don't yet have any sheets on the labor issue. I think that's important. And I'd like to hear your other ideas. I'll help with creating the coloring sheet if you need that. jeanne
- Establishing an Awareness of an Empty Memory Space to Reconfigure the Fractal Patterns That Yield Answerability A Visual and Aural Research Experience About Giving Students Voice.
We welcome you to submit questions for interview schedules, to help with the survey and analysis, and to share with us the interpretation of our students' need for answerability, both now and as alumni. We will address the importance of student voice in the future of the university. This experience will encompass a substantial portion of the work in Statistics 220 in the Fall of 2003. And it will combine some of the theoretical foundations of Bakhtin (as interpreted through Greg Nielsen) and Steve Riskin.
- A Book on the Practice of Answerability First draft of a report of this teaching process.
We welcome you to help us find the fractal bits and the vacant memory space that may render the model useable for many others of all ages and educational levels.
- Revising our College History to Introduce Answerability. A proposal by Francisco Reyes, with jeanne's response. Maybe you could share a few excerpts, so we could sample what such a history might be like. jeanne
- Planning, Sharing and Curating the Fall 2003 Exhibition
We invite you to help with the art, the dance, the music, the text, the theory, and the curating of this Fall's exhibit. Each of the proposed projects will go up here as fast as my little fingers can type them up. jeanne
- Monday, November 10, 2003. Answerability and the Arts:Body Imagery Essay and Project on the changing perspective of beauty in the human body.
- Monday, November 10, 2003. Answerability and the Arts:Matisse and the Justification of Art as Beauty This piece stands in direct contrast to the one on Body Imagery.
- Answerability and the School System Author and Director: Guadalupe Saldana, CSUDH. Lupe would like someone to help with the visual components of this project. She does have photos.
- Community Short Story of Fall 2003. Welcome to join in. I'll join in later. Ran out of time. Change names, characters, plot, whatever you wish. I just put this up to give you an idea about how some of you might like to tell the tale of some of your lived experiences. jeanne
- Naked Space, A Poem Author, Michael Griffin, CSUDH. Michael broaches our theoretical position on naked space and fractal lived experiences through poetry.
- Paintings in Memoriam of Sept. 11 Can be sent as e-mail. Donna Hill forwarded the site and one of the paintings to be attached with her article on "America was attacked because it was good" for the Illocutionary Discourse or War and Revenge?. The picture she chose was:
and Donna will discuss the theory, with full permission for sanctioned plagiarism, as I discuss elsewhere in this issue. jeanne
We'll want to discuss how such paintings, e-mail available, fit into answerability. Some of you are still misreading answerability. Answerability is NOT accountability. Answerability means that we each of the gift of ability to speak out and make our voices and/or our feelings known. Doing that answering is a learned skill using the gift of the ability. So I'd like eacho of your projects to clarify the role of answerability. How is the Other heard, not heard, ignored, assuaged, what notice is taken of the Other, and how is that notice given a focal point in the majority agenda?
For example, if I am offended by your statement that Jews control the financial world. Answerability is the gift of having a fractal pattern of lived experience that lets me understand deeply why and how I am offended, and together with a naked space for creating new language and understanding, then you and I can interrelate. That doesn't mean that I will change your mind. It doesn't mean that you will change my mind. We're still going to disagree over Jews controlling the financial world. But the creative and active willingness to engage in the aesthetic process of listening to one another in good faith is a way for us to begin to engage each others as humans and to resolve some of the pain and tension between us. Maria Pia Lara calls that illocutionary discourse. Bakhtin calls it answerability. Steve Riskin gave me the idea of naked space.
- Religion and Understanding
What God Is Like
Patricia Morris and Nita McKinley will describe their project from which the children's view of God emerged in this painting done by Patricia Morris. See for conceptual review on how to do this.
Race and Answerability Visual Understanding
- Monday, December 1, 2003. Answerability in a Photo Essay.Visual Essay of a Home with Assisted Living Project in Participatory Photography by Srey Vivo. Srey invites you to help her reflect our understanding of the visual context the seniors have given us in their own photographs. Have we understood? How can we answer them in ways that will help us elicit further imagery and lead to greater answerability for them at a time when they need assistance and therefore find some of their answerability usurped by institutions?
Unfortunately Donna and I never managed to get together long enough for me to put her whole project together here for the exhibition. I trust she'll manage that for Wednesday and Thursday. That could be because her major focus was the Stat class. jeanne
- Monday, December 1, 2003. George Wilkin's Photocopy of Original Cartoon ArtWork:
George wanted to use this photo for his exhibition project on the story on non-answerability. He'll share that story with us at the exhibition. And he has already shared with us his discussion of how this relates to leadership.
- E-Mail from IVSA on Photo Projects
No classes during week of finals, but jeanne will be in from about 1:30 on Tuesday and Wednesday, and will stay till 7p.m. Do check on your grades and any incomplete work. jeanne
Sunday, November 30, 2003. Panel of Papers for ACJS in March 9 - 13, 2004, in Las Vegas at the Riviera: A Deeper Perspective of Restorative Justice: Bakhtinian Answerability. Please check with jeanne if you're on this list, or if you wanted to be and you're not. Wednesday, November 25, 2003. Ethnology conference:Call for Papers for Ethnology Meetings on Crisis. Answerability in Crisis would offer a good topic. We'll discuss the possibilities for submitting a paper for the April meetings. jeanne
A Range of Sources on Global Events
Left/Right Perspectives - Cursor - New York Times
Arts and Letters Daily - The Economist - The Guardian
Wall Street Journal -The Weekly Standard - The Nation
Los Angeles Times - Chicago Tribune - The Washington Post
Cursor's Al Jazeera Archive - Ha'aretz - Palestine Monitor
Indymedia - Mother Jones - BBC News - New Profile
Progressive Sociologists Network
Using Academic Language Effectively:
Merriam-Webster Dictionary Search:
Dictionary of Critical Sociology
Maintained by Robert E. Mazur, Associate Professor, Iowa State University, Sociology.
Words of Art: Front Page
Wonderful Fine Arts dictionary at Okanagan University College in Canada.
Will cover many of the terms social theory shares with literary theory.
Today's Word: From the Word.A.Day Site
Social Theory across Disciplines:
Peace and Social Justice
Saturday, November 29, 2003. Transparency: Transparency in Governance Issues Good example of a lack of transparency in recent Russian Oil Deals. Article offers the word "opaque" to express non-transparency. Since we talked about that recently, thought this might be a good article for you to read. jeanne
- Wednesday, November 26, 2003. Sophisticated Labor:Threats to Sophisticated Labor It's not just the supermarket clerks who have to worry. We may all be seriously affected by the Wal Mart-influenced supermarket strike, for we all "cost too much."
* * * * *
Commentaries on Issues
Index of Commentaries
No updating until we have the Fall 2003 Exhibition set up. Sorry, jeanne
UWP Commentaries in Chronological Sequence:
- UWP Commentaries from Week of October 19, 2003
- UWP Commentaries from Week of October 12, 2003
- UWP Commentaries from Week of October 5, 2003
CSUDH Commentaries by Topic
- The Statue of Liberty
- Monday, November 10, 2003. The Body:Body Imagery Another whole perspective to go with the Naked Lady Mudflaps.
- Monday, November 3, 2003. The Statue of Liberty:Color Doesn't Matter Commentary by Sheila Velasquez, CSUDH. Sheila stopped short with her feelings. That's an important beginning, but now you need to go on with conceptual linking to our substantive issues. Examples are given. Use this as a guide. jeanne
- Tuesday, November 11, 2003. Incarceration:The Juvenile Halls and Answerability Commentary by Mary Conner.
- Friday, November 7, 2003. St. Augustine and Islam: Augustine in Algeria: 2001 Report by James O'Donnell, now Provost of Georgetown University, of an academic conference in Algeria in 2001. Lecture and discussion questions up after Cuba. jeanne
Kids, Etc.: Stuff to Share with Others
- Update for Young People I'll catch up with these when our Fall class stuff is done. jeanne
- Update on Health
- Update for Seniors
* * * * *
- Monday, November 3, 2003. Reclaiming Memories from New Photos:
Class Archives and Syllabi for UWP
- Syllabus for Corrections, UWP, Fall 2003
- Syllabus for Criminology, UWP, Fall 2003
- Syllabus for Media, Crime and Criminal Justice, UWP, Fall 2003
Guides for Midterms and Projects at CSUDH, Fall 2003 No classes during week of finals, but jeanne will be in from about 1:30 on Tuesday and Wednesday, and will stay till 7p.m. Do check on your grades and any incomplete work. jeanne
- Midterm Topics and Alternatives Moved off weekly issue for convenience to this page. jeanne
- Notes to a Good Field Mouse jeanne's suggestions on what will and won't cut it on a midterm submission, or a regular submission by a good student.
- Midterm Model for Theory, Knowingness, and Agencies classes Organizational structure and guide to length. Up soon. Meanwhile see Notes to a Good Field Mouse.
- Midterm Model for Statistics Organizational structure and guide to length.
- How do we get from the creation and sharing of this image to social theory for greater awareness of the Other?Conceptual Review for Fall 2003. Use this is a guide with your midterm and your project. jeanne
- How do we get from a comment on the current issue to a social theory explanation of the connectedness of all this to what we're studying? Creating and Sharing Memories and Turning Them into Substantive Submissions. Follow the guide - sanctioned plagiarism of the fractal patterns, remember?
- Putting together research reports for midterms and projects in statistics: Interpretation and Conclusions
- Alumni Survey
- Guides to Using SPSS:
- CRS First Draft Unedited Report by Joyce Jones
- SPSS Crosstabs - Step by Step
- Changing Cultural Patterns and Aging
- Check all the tables on aging and dummy graphs and tables
- Graphs of Our CRS Data
- Playing with our Calif Recall Survey Data Detailed steps on working with data.
- Practice with Valid Percents for Thursday, October 16, 2003
- California Recall Survey Schedule for Statistics Class