A Justice Site
jeanne's class assignments - Susan's Class Page Archive
NEWS and Announcements
Pat's schedule - About Us - Class Materials - Open Access
Previous Issue: Volume 19, No. 14 , Week of April 25, 2004
Mirror Sites: CSUDH - Habermas - UWP
TOPICS INDEX - SITE MAP - SITE INDEX
KIDS, Etc. - ARCHIVES - Daily Site Additions
Amazon.com - Academic Resources - TUTORING HELP
California State University, Dominguez Hills
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Created: April 30, 2004
Latest Update: April 30, 2004
Naked Space Exhibit Time and Space
May 12 (Wednesday) and 13 (Thursday)
Pat and Jeanne will be in on Wednesday, May 5. Come check on all things for Naked Space. jeanne
The Naked Space Exhibit will take place on Wednesday, May 12, and Thursday May 13, from 10:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the western-most sector of the Grand Hall. You are welcome to come and go as fits your schedule. Please invite your family, children, friends, neighbors, etc. to share in our gallery display and discussions. We'll need help setting our displays up in the morning and taking them down in the evening. And we'll definitely needs some supervisory help for goblet decorating at Table 13. Thank you for volunteering. jeanne
NEWS and Announcements:
Links to Readings for Each Class and Group:
Next to Last Week of Classes. Time to authenticate.
Travel Opportunity to Thailand.
CSUDH course credit offered. About $2000, including airfare.Chiang Mai Field Trip Flyer. Dr. John Quicker, Criminologist, offers a summer field trip to Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand.
That's where I rode an elephant in the elephant camp for working elephants. Elephants were used for construction in Thailand until the 20th century brought modern machines. The elephant camps are like welfare safety nets for the elephants who no longer have jobs, and the people who used to have jobs caring for the elephants.
Chiang Mai is also where I released a whole family of birds in the name of freedom. They usually only give you one in a small cage to release, but they sensed that I wanted to turn the whole batch loose, and they offered me a huge cage from which I could let them all go. All the little birds were crammed in like sardines. They were so happy to be released. jeanne
If you're interested, let Dr. Quicker know: jquicker@csudhedu
Notes for Fall 2004 Classes
- Sociology of Agencies: Soc. 328
- A changing view of agencies and their role in the framing of local and national political and social issues.
- Sociology of Law: Soc. 367
- A changing view of the role of law and social policy.
- Moot Court: The Skills of Governance Discourse: Soc. 370
- The aural and visual presentation of substantive political and social issues. Will culminate in Fall 2004 Naked Space Exhibit.
- Women and Poverty: Feminist Theoretical Contributions: Soc.395
- Understanding the interdependence of feminist thought with general social theory in understanding women and poverty.
A Range of Sources on Global Events
Left/Right Perspectives - Cursor - New York Times
Arts and Letters Daily - The Economist - The Guardian
Wall Street Journal -The Weekly Standard - The Nation
Los Angeles Times - Chicago Tribune - The Washington Post
Cursor's Al Jazeera Archive - Ha'aretz - Palestine Monitor
Indymedia - Mother Jones - BBC News - New Profile
Progressive Sociologists Network
Evaluating Internet Resources
Evaluating Hoax Email with samples, including an old one about charging for email that's going around again. Link updated March 29, 2004.
Evaluating Internet Resources Library Site at University of North Carolina. Don't forget to question. This is a good detailed source. Link checked March 29, 2004.
Using Academic Language Effectively:
Merriam-Webster Dictionary Search:
Dictionary of Critical Sociology
Maintained by Robert E. Mazur, Associate Professor, Iowa State University, Sociology.
Words of Art: Front Page
Wonderful Fine Arts dictionary at Okanagan University College in Canada.
Will cover many of the terms social theory shares with literary theory.
APA Style Style sheet for Psychology. Good reference for proper rules of citation.
Twenty-five Easy Steps Toward a Correctly-Formatted Paper or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love MLA by Keith O'Neill. Style sheet for humanities. Today's Word: From the Word.A.Day Site
- Letters of Recommendation How to get me to respond to your request. Many of you need letters. If you will follow this format, I can do them quickly and make them good.
- Added April 24, 2004: Zerrona Fitts was gracious enough to request her letter as I asked. I'll get it out today. Most of you are not responding to my request to do your part in using your own voice to prompt mine. Please remember that you're also asking for these smack in the middle of intense preparations for the Spring Naked Space Exhibit. Oh, and yes, by the way, I've retired, and I''m not technically on campus this spring. So be nice and do your part. jeanne
- Dog Letters If you do not give me adequate information, but do manage to get my attention, you may end up with a dog letter. That is a letter that says that you work well with people, that you are enthusiastic, that you persist at getting things done, and that everyone likes you. Of course, my dog gets along well with people, brings his ball to them, is enthusiastic, and persists at getting them to take his ball. Everyone likes my dog. That's a dog letter. It's so general it could be about my dog. jeanne
- College Journal Resume Suggestions . . . Backup
- Music as Voices. Two articles on the New York Times on Sunday, May 2, 2004, describe the role of music as a voice to make ourselves heard. One is vocal; one is instrumental. But both are struggling to let us hear what they have to tell us.
- Courtly Art of the Ancient Maya At the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C., "the first exhibition ever devoted to this subject in the United States, . . . with . . . masterworks drawn from . . . Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, Chile, the United States, Switzerland, England, and Australia. The exhibition will present stone sculptures, ceramics, masks, and other precious works commissioned by ancient Maya kings and queens. In a period of just 200 years from AD 600-800, Maya kings and nobles, while living in the tropical rain forests of southern Mexico and adjacent Guatemala, Honduras, and Belize, transformed Maya art, achieving a peak of dramatic expression and naturalism unmatched in the ancient New World."
AND . . . For our kids: Great PDF file with explanations and activities.
You might ALSO try the Collage Machine at the National Gallery of Art. Great for calming exam nerves.
jeanne's collage from the Collage Machine at the National Gallery of Art.
Can you find the hippo, the camel, the palm tree???
You'll need to save it with the Print Screen button
and then paste it into a program like Paint.
Who To Take:
Don't forget to add your comments for next year's students. jeanne