A Justice Site
Summer Re-Organization of Site in Progress
Please use the California State University, Dominguez Hills Mirror Site for the next few weeks.
Updating Indices, including Topic Index and Site Index
Organizing new material to fit into visual sociology and visual criminology context.
jeanne, Web Technicienne, June 11, 2004; still reorganizing. August 17, 2004
This is a Site Map. Link on the Section you want to find.
I'll have all the links fixed by Friday. I had to change many of them around. jeanne
NEWS and Announcements Site Map
Previous Issue: Volume 20, No. 11, Week of August 1, 2004
Mirror Sites: CSUDH - Habermas - UWP
Play - Archives - Daily Site Additions
Search Site Topic Index - Search Site Index
California State University, Dominguez Hills
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Created: August 17, 2004
Latest Update: August 17, 2004
Topic of the Week:
Planning for the Fall Gallery Exhibit
We never got to the beach in San Francisco
August 17, 2004
But we did find a great bar on the 36th floor of the Grand Hyatt from which we could look out over the bay and Alcatraz. I don't know how the Others coped with such evidence of oppression and control, but I tried to imagine the tiny island as a unicorn. The unicorns wouldn't cooperate. Can't say that I blame them. But I did manage to get the island to look rather like a ship. Not exactly a unicorn, but better than having my lunch disturbed with the uncomfortable recognition of my own role in a system that's big on retribution and punishment.
It's that time again. Classes starting. Books, grades, measures of learning, sleep deprivation, say, what? The site has grown over the summer. And it's time to start planning our gallery exhibition. We also have a Moot Court exhibition that will emphasize the discourse that accompanies the exhibits. It would be a good idea to come prepared on the first day of classes. We had a great summer. Can't wait to see you all.
love and peace,
jeanne and susan and pat and michael
"YIKES," saith Susan. "Chill," saith the unicorns.
NEWS and Announcements:
Conference in New Orleans in September: Held Over
- Naked Space: A Safe Forum for Merging the Academy and the Community Presentation Submitted to 2004 Annual Conference on Race, Gender, Class, hosted by Southern University at New Orleans, on September 23-25, 2004. New Orleans. Conference Website. Program is at end of file. We're about half an inch from the bottom under Politics, which seems appropriate. Once again, they've given us a whole session to ourselves. Not so great for networking, but we'll wave a lot. jeanne
Open Access Discussion Threads
- Thread on Biopower: Paradigm Shift to Biopolitical Power?
Thread opened on Wednesday, August 4, 2004.
- Thread on Obesity
Thread opened on Thursday, August 10, 2004.
- Shared Reading on Imposing Order as Social Status Control Notice how obesity fits into this, as well as biopower.
Debriefing the Naked Space Exhibit
Summer 2004 Project
This IS A Hypertext Project Map
For The Naked Space Exhibit "Freeing the Feminine Other" in May 2004
Link on Section Titles for Hypertext Poem and Contents.
- Table of Contents
- Hypertext Poem: Freeing the Feminine Other
- Debriefing Readings for the Hypertext Project: "Freeing the Feminine Other" Many new readings added. The discourse goes on.
- A Range of Sources on Global Events
Left/Right Perspectives - Cursor - New York Times - The National Review
Arts and Letters Daily - The Economist - The Sierra Club - The Guardian
Wall Street Journal -The Weekly Standard - The Nation
Los Angeles Times - Chicago Tribune - The Washington Post
Cursor's Al Jazeera Archive - Ha'aretz - Palestine Monitor
- Plagiarism Watch www.streetgangs.com site. The intelligent and effective use of resources means that you have to be careful not to plagiarize other people's material. We have several files on plagiarism, but I think the one that might make the most sense to you is this complaint on streetgangs.com. They give you samples of sites that have taken their material without citation, even at colleges, and they also give you examples of sites that have used their material with proper attribution. I find the irony poetic, and hope that their message will get through to you the importance of attribution. Dr. O'Connor on his Mega Criminal Justice site led me to streetgangs.com and noted that others frequently hack into the site. For that reason I have created a backup copy for your use in case you cannot access the actual site. Please be sure to attribute any citation to streetgangs.com. jeanne Backup.
Shared Reading Suggestions, many with templates already filled in.
Using Academic Language Effectively
Merriam-Webster Dictionary Search:
- Letters of Recommendation:
- Letters of Recommendation: How to get me to respond to your request. Many of you need letters. If you will follow this format, I can do them quickly and make them good.
- Dog Letters If you do not give me adequate information, but do manage to get my attention, you may end up with a dog letter. That is a letter that says that you work well with people, that you are enthusiastic, that you persist at getting things done, and that everyone likes you. Of course, my dog gets along well with people, brings his ball to them, is enthusiastic, and persists at getting them to take his ball. Everyone likes my dog. That's a dog letter. It's so general it could be about my dog. jeanne
- Reports and Studies on Employment and the Job Market
- The National Gallery of Art: Self-Portraits See Shared Readings: Self Portraits - Expressions in Limbo.
Sneaky Strokes and Good Dogs
Whenever something happens in class that works out well, that inspires you, that helps in studying, whatever, take a few minutes to send us an e-mail. We'll post it where all of us can learn from it, including other teachers.Include:
- A sentence or two about what you want to share with us.
- The name of the teacher whose class you were in.
- The name of the class.
- The name of the school. We're not picky. We'll honor teachers in any school, any level. This might be a good idea to help young children learn to say "thank you" and encourage meaningful practice in all our schools. We could even start with pre-school. This is a skill needed in answerability. To discover that what you think matters is to end silencing. Even home schooling. You can send photos or drawings, too.
- See the first entries at Sneaky Strokes and Good Dogs
You can also send an email to the Who to Take Site: