A Justice Site
MIRROR SITES: CSUDH - Habermas - UWP
ISSUES AND CONCEPTS: Susan's UWP Archive
Academic Resources OnSite - News, Announcements - Daily Site Additions
Topics - Lecture Notes - Texts - Discussions - Self Tests
Visual Sociology - Internet Speak - Graduate Exam Study
POST TO: Tutoring - Learning Records - Transform-dom
SEARCH: Topics Index - Site Index - Issue Archives
Google Web Search - Google Site Search
|Merriam-Webster Dictionary Search:|
NEWS and Announcements for Dear Habermas
California State University, Dominguez Hills Topic of the Week:
News and Announcements from the Department of Criminal Justice, UWP
News and Announcements from the Department of Sociology, CSUDH
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Created: May 23, 2006
Latest Update: May 23, 2006
California State University, Dominguez Hills
Topic of the Week:
More up tomorrow. jeanne
NEWS, Announcements, and
Current Events Discussion Topics:
Stonehenge (With Two Persons)
Red Yellow Blue Green Orange?
Don't forget the Exhibit at Mixografia
1419 East Adams Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90011 www.mixografia.com
May 13 - June 30, 2006 . . . . 323-232-1158
You'll have a whole month to catch this exhibit. Should be fun.
For more on understanding why and how artists engage in the process of trying to change traditional museum-bound painting, go to Dada as Arts Politically and Socially Opposed to Some of the Consequences of Our Culture and Our Preference for the Rational and The Arrogance of its Knowingness. And don't miss Paul Tractman's Dada, The Irreverent, Rowdy Revolution in the May 2006 Smithsonian Magazine Online. Backup.
Collage with Squares Arranged According to the Laws of Chance. (1916-17)
Lectures, Notes, and Texts
- Discussion Questions
- Lecture Notes Lecture notes on the substantive concepts discussed. These are not a "substitute" for actual lectures in class or workshops, but I have tried to cover the main concepts so that absence from class will not critically deprive you of the substance of our discussions. The discussion questions are for your own understanding of how well you have grasped the concepts. You may pose any of the questions on transform_dom, where we'll all be glad to discuss these issues. If you are confused, please make sure you clarify the concepts with jeanne when she is available in the office and in class.
- A Range of Sources on Global Info
Left/Right Perspectives - Cursor - New York Times - The National Review
Arts and Letters Daily - The Economist - The Sierra Club - The Guardian
Wall Street Journal - The Weekly Standard - The Nation - The Cato Institute (Libertarian)
BBC NEWS | Americas - truthout - Museum of Tolerance, Los Angeles
Los Angeles Times - Chicago Tribune - La Opinion - The Washington Post
Cursor's Al Jazeera Archive - Ha'aretz - Palestine Monitor - Palestine Report
The American Prospect
Graduate Exams Study
- University of Chicago Prelim Study
Some older files not yet revised for Fall 2005, but useful.
- Mentoring Help for New Students with Frequently Asked Questions
- Mentoring Help for Returning Students with More Frequently Asked Questions
- Shared Reading Suggestions
- Learning Styles
- Home Page for transform-dom You can read all the messages on Transforming Dominant Discourse from this page. Just click on messages in the left hand frame. You can read the messages, even if you're having difficulty signing up.
Preparing for Graduate Study:
- Test Prep Preview Joshua L. Stewart recommended this site because it has free practice tests. If you're thinking of taking the GRE, the LAST, or any other graduate entry test, this might be a good place to gather some early information. Joshua suggested it for Praxis Practice, but a quick first look suggests they don't mean by praxis what we do. Check it out, anyway, if you have some spare time. jeanne
- Urban Legends Reference Pages. They post rumors and scams and phony e-mails circulating, to offer you a quick check. It worked for me. I entered "Fat Boy" as a google seacrch, and when I saw the Snopes.com link, I knew it would help, and it did. To not check your sources is as grievous as to plagiarize someone else's information and writing. A Page from Urban Legends As an Example.
- the-artists.org Good quick reference site with many of the artists, art schools, and visual approaches to present social issue that we discuss. Added April 8, 2005.
- Plagiarism Watch www.streetgangs.com site. The intelligent and effective use of resources means that you have to be careful not to plagiarize other people's material. We have several files on plagiarism, but I think the one that might make the most sense to you is this complaint on streetgangs.com. They give you samples of sites that have taken their material without citation, even at colleges, and they also give you examples of sites that have used their material with proper attribution. I find the irony poetic, and hope that their message will get through to you the importance of attribution. Dr. O'Connor on his Mega Criminal Justice site led me to streetgangs.com and noted that others frequently hack into the site. For that reason I have created a backup copy for your use in case you cannot access the actual site. Please be sure to attribute any citation to streetgangs.com. jeanne Backup.
http://www.quackwatch.org/index.html Quackwatch, a website maintained by Stephen Barrett, M.D."Quackwatch, Inc. . . . is a nonprofit corporation whose purpose is to combat health-related frauds, myths, fads, and fallacies. Its primary focus is on quackery-related information that is difficult or impossible to get elsewhere. Founded by Dr. Stephen Barrett in 1969 as the Lehigh Valley Committee Against Health Fraud, it was incorporated in 1970. In 1997, it assumed its current name and began developing a worldwide network of volunteers and expert advisors. . . . "
- Letters of Recommendation: How to get me to respond to your request. Many of you need letters. If you will follow this format, I can do them quickly and make them good.
- Dog Letters If you do not give me adequate information, but do manage to get my attention, you may end up with a dog letter. That is a letter that says that you work well with people, that you are enthusiastic, that you persist at getting things done, and that everyone likes you. Of course, my dog gets along well with people, brings his ball to them, is enthusiastic, and persists at getting them to take his ball. Everyone likes my dog. That's a dog letter. It's so general it could be about my dog. jeanne
- Career Options You Might Not Have Considered
- visual media and their interdependence with other means of knowing to understand that we are not totally rational creatures deciding things apart from our feelings and values. Wolfowitz (new President of the World Bank to aid developing countries AND principle advocate of the Iraq War) might feel very differently when he is exposed to visual and aural images of the poor developing countries that have not before been his primary concern. So we want to know how best to present those developing countries visually. And we might find that we can have a career doing that sort of thing, so it does reflect on us as individuals. Added April 2, 2005.
Sneaky Strokes and Flying Good Dogs
Flying Dog is also a painting by Zhang Kai. Best I've ever come across to illustrate our site with magic numbers and unicorns and whipped cream cats and now, flying dogs, oh, and Faupel's Flying Fish.:
- Icons and acronyms and what they mean in Internet Speak
- I Was Scared of Statistics
- It Feels Good to Make a Difference
- The Site Goes On - You're Always Welcome Back
- From Angelique Hawley on December 16, 2005: Message No. 9072 on transform_dom.Merry Christmas! Jeannne and Pat and all the marvelous students at CSUDH that has shared in "Naked Space"
I wish I had a lot of money so that I could reward all of you properly. Transform_domDigest is so wonderful.
I can recall when being one of the first users in 2004 and I see we are at digest 594. my how time flies when we are learning and having fun.
Jeanne you and Pat are the bomb!
I continue to read the digest although I am not taking any of your classes now. The digests have been more informative than the school paper. Please continue to keep it going.
Get rest ! I hope to see you .
- Flying Good Dogs:Whenever something happens in this or any other class that works out well, that inspires you, that helps in studying, whatever, take a few minutes to send us an e-mail. We'll post it where all of us can learn from it, including other teachers.