A Justice Site
jeanne's classes - Susan's classes - Olivier's classes
Volume 10, No. 10, Week of October 29, 2001
Mirror Sites: CSUDH - Habermas - UWP
Site Map - Daily Site Additions - Site Stats - Site Index
Concept Index - Vocabulary Index - Essay Index
Shifting Spheres to Understand the Other
A part of peacemaking is listening in good faith beyond the facile, beyond the plastic entertainment offered us. Analyzing what we see and what we hear from the perspective of the public/private sphere and the micro/macro sphere is one way to get to good faith. Shifting Spheres to Understand the Other. See also Photo Ops in Disney View of Others' World
Frequently Asked Questions:
Reports of Learning:
What jeanne knows you've done.
First twenty reports are up at Reports of Learning Students are identified by class ID number. It's time to write and/or talk to me so that you're sure I know what your're learning. jeanne
Thesis Project Outline for Berthena Kemp
The November Novel Index
Jeanne and Susan received this note from Professor Jon'a Meyer (a CSUDH graduate!):
Dear Susan and Jeanne:All students interested in attending the conference please check in. jeanne
Thank you for submitting your abstract for a presentation for the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences annual meeting of March 5-9, 2001 in Anaheim, CA.
I am communicating via email due to the closure of my regional post office due to anthrax being found there last week. If you need a more formal letter . . . .
The purpose of this letter is to inform you that your abstract has been accepted and your presentation will be included in the program. . . .
California State University, Dominguez Hills
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Soka University Japan, Transcend Art and Peace
Latest Update: November 5, 2001
Olivier Urbain, Soka University
Table of Contents
Archives - How to Navigate the Site - Announcements
Teaching and Review Essay Index, by Topic - Lecture Notes - Oft-Used Weblinks
Left/Right Perspectives - PSN - Virtual Faculty - Transcend Art and Peace
The Justice Studies Association - TR Young's Site - ZNet
Who To Take - Syllabi - Art and Poem Gallery - Sociology Sites
Merriam-Webster Dictionary Search:
For the Week of November 5, 2001
Weekly Readings and Suggested Measures of Learning:
November Writing ProjectHealing after September 11
- Modern Social Theories, Undergraduate:
- Transforming Discourse:
- Sociology of Law:
- Graduate Theory Seminar:
In Other Languages
Art and the Imaginary
Collaborative Writing Journal
Conflicts Around the World
Lagniappe! You Gotta Read This!
Jobs, Jobs, Jobs
. . . Criminology and Aging and Peacemaking and Theory
. . . and Women and Social Justice and Social Justice Issues and Writings
. . . and The Writer's Bookshelf and Poverty and Sociology of Law
. . . and September 11, 2001 and Distance Learning
Syllabi Instructions on How to Access Syllabi
Calls for Proposals: Conference and Article Plans
What people are saying about Dear Habermas
Who To Take
The NOW is cracking.
Healing Art and Music
- Reactions to Art, Music, Poetry:
- 1 Corinthians 13: 1-13 Vernelia Randall's Homepage.
- Focusing on What Matters:
- Keep Your Eye on the Ball Journal entry by Lisa J. Stevens.
- Connecting in the Name of Healing Journal entry by Ruth Doddy and Olivier Urbain.
- What Really Matters Is People Journal entry by Tina Juen.
- Reactions to Anger:
- The Little Prince Online I found this site when I mentioned St. Exupery in the second planning installment of my novel. Scroll down just a little to all the scriptures cited under God Bless America. jeanne. October 28, 2001. Even the music is delightful.
Teaching and Review Essay Index
- Public Intellectuals:
- Social Theory Concepts:
- Index of files on conceptual linking. Presently comprised of classroom responses to your questions. jeanne
- Convergent and Divergent Thinking and Dominant Discourse Journal entry by Robert Walker.
- Social Theory Concepts: Fundamentalism Journal entry by Teidra Rankins and Kizzie Perry. An excellent sample of critical thinking and posing good hypothetical questions. Should clear up last Thursday's lecture on fundamentalism.
- Deviance and Delinquency: Durkheim on Crime by Timothy Mason of the Universite de Versailles. Scroll about a third of the way down the file.
- W.E.B. DuBois:
- Double-Consciousness Journal entry by Marcus Pitts.
- Axel Honneth:
- Social Philosophy Essay on the historical development of social philosophy, with an emphasis on re-interpreting the field for 2001.
- María Pía Lara:
- Moral Textures: Feminist Narratives in the Public Sphere By María Pía Lara. This social philosopher from Mexico broaches the topic of secular evil: how can humans do such terrible things to humans?
- Public Discourse:
- Shifting Spheres to Understand Others jeanne's application of the concept of shifting from public to private spheres and back as a way of understanding why we sometimes talk right past each other.
- Arundhati Roy: An Indian Novelist Turns Her Wrath on the U.S. New York Times article by Celia Dugger, November 3, 2001, at p. A3.
- Dominant Discourse: Constraint on the Imaginary PEC and Indymedia postings on Green Party USA member prevented from flying to Chicago. Notice the ease with which opposition to bombing Afghanistan becomes a status characteristic by which we judge people suspect. backup
- Dominant Discourse: The Limitations of Sound Bites Journal entry by Gail Nakamura
- Understanding Anti-Americanism Comments and conceptual linking based on Tony Judt's American and the War, on The New York Review of Books Website.
- Restorative Justice:
- Restorative Justice and India's Caste System Article and Photos by J.S. Murthy.
- Retribution and Reconciliation by David A. Crocke. On the Institute for Philosophy and Public Policy website. Scroll about four fifths of the way down the file for a discussion of ubuntu, social harmony, and a critique of Archbishop Desmond Tutu's approach to reconciliation and restorative justice.
- Quotas in Jury Selection Journal entry by Talia Baran, UWP. Includes Gordon Fellman's response to Talia on the issue of the use of quotas in jury slection, and Fellman's suggestion that a shift to restorative justice might be more productive as an approach to race, law, and crime.
Collaborative Writing Journal
Index for Sharing the Site What others are reading and their questions and comments on their reading. Needs updating. jeanne 10/20/01
Week 11: Week of November 5, 2001
- Sharing with Young Children Journal entry by Keisha Hundley.
The Writing Project
The November Writing Project has been opened to all students. Write along with jeanne as she writes the November Novel.
- The November Novel Installment Index
- The Word Count Scroll down about five-sixths of the file to find jeanne.
Planning the Novel
- The November Novel: Montessori Magic Planning, Installment 1.
- Montessori Magic Sounds like a Spaghetti Western Planning, Installment 2.
- Time As a Theme Planning, Installment 3.
- A Plot, A Plot, My Kingdom for a Plot November 1 arrives and I can't think of a plot. Installment 4.
- I'm Late. I'm Late. I'm Late. I'll catch up. I'm determined. Installment 5.
- What Story Would I Like to Tell? Installment 6.
THE NOVEMBER NOVEL
Chapter 1: NOW as a Goldfish
Conflicts Around the World:
- Palestinian Perspective on Events This is a list of postings to the New Profile Site on events in Palestine and Israel.
Long-Term Effects History
- Map of the Middle East
Click on map for larger complete map of Middle East.
- Muslim Distribution in the Middle East
You Gotta Read This
- Better Killing Through Chemistry Buying chemical weapons material through the mail is quick and easy. By George Musser. Scientific American Online. backup
- A Popular Discussion on How Well Bush Is Doing Shar Moor sent us the link. Thought you might enjoy it. Remember, it's neither a moderated discussion nor a teaching site. These could be off-the-wall opinions. jeanne
Deviance and Transgression A course by Timothy Mason, whose posts appear sometimes on PSN.
- The New York Review of Books You can subscribe to an e-mail alert that will let you know when new pieces go up.
- New Profile: Movement for the Civil-ization of Israeli Society
- Independent Media Center: Indymedia Alternative Media. Left perspective.
- Indymedia Los Angeles Alternative Media. Left Perspective.