A Justice Site
California State University, Dominguez Hills
Created: August 14, 2001
Latest update: August 14, 2001
Job announcements come to me often through lists I belong to. It seems to me that those of you interested in working towards peace and social justice should peruse these announcements to see what kinds of skills and educational background jobs out there are asking for. Shape your learning now to build a resume that will get you a job you'd like to have. Want help with this? Come in to see me and Pat. jeanne
Jaime Shephard has been building these skills for several years in the Moot Court and Dear Habermas programs. Jaime, it's time for you to start pursuing your interests in a real job search.
On August 14, 2001, we received the following job announcement on the PEC list:
Description: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF YOUTH TOGETHER
A National Model for Youth Empowerment, Community Change, Multiracial Solidarity Oakland, Berkeley, Richmond, California (August 7, 2001) Youth Together, a multiracial social justice and community-building organization, seeks a new Executive Director to lead community transformation efforts. Founded in 1996, Youth Together's mission is to work for community justice, health, andempowerment through the development of the leadership, organizing, and advocacy of multiracial community youth and adults. YouthTogether's model incorporates urban youth development with community organizing, school change, community building, and community collaboration strategies to positively impact both individual youth and the larger community.
Youth Together works in Oakland, Berkeley, and Richmond school communities, with central offices in Oakland. Our accomplishments include the following:
- The development of low-income, marginalized urban youth who serve as leaders for multiracial solidarity and justice;
- The development of community change initiatives, One Land, One People, uniting youth, parents, school staff, policymakers, funders, community leaders to support youth-led comprehensive solutions to youth violence and educational inequities;
- Leveraged multimillion dollar resources for our school communities to support the healthy, positive development of youth;
- Winning youth-led school organizing campaigns that address the institutional causes of racial educational injustice and violence. Current efforts focus on integrating youth-led school reform initiatives into school and district-mandated reforms; developing youth centers that provide health, academic support, enrichment, and prevention programs; maintaining and creating institutional structures for broad-based student coalition organizing; and maintaining and developing community-wide collaborations to unite key stakeholders on prevention and reform initiatives, including partnerships with inter-governmental agencies. We are seeking an experienced, passionate, committed community leader to continue the Youth Together mission, sustain and manage our $1.1 million budget, and spearhead our community-building and organizing initiatives uniting youth, parents, school and district staff, community members, and policymakers.
- ® Provide visionary leadership in building school and community change efforts.
- ® Role model YT principles of unity, principled leadership, humility, respect, and justice.
- ® Oversee implementation of programming goals, objectives, and operational plans.
- ® Develop advocacy and organizing campaigns and strategies in partnership with staff and youth.
- ® Oversee the development of 11 YT staff and 250 youth as leaders.
- ® Oversee the evaluation study for Youth Together in partnership with external evaluators. ® Provide public representation with media, policymakers, larger community. ® Provide fundraising, grants management, expand funding partners.
- ® Provide fiscal management of YT's annual budget of $1.1 million.
- ® Develop and maintain new board of directors.
- ® Track record as a leader grounded in community empowerment, advocacy, organizing, and multiracial principles.
- ® Engage in community and youth promotion.
- ® Previous project/agency management, fund development, budget management experience.
- ® Strong analytical, strategic thinking and problem-solving skills.
- ® Excellent verbal and written communication skills; highly organized and strong time management skills.
- ® Experience working with and supervising diverse groups of people and facilitating team-building.
- ® Experience/expertise in urban school issues, youth development, race relations, and violence.
- ® Ability to use research/evaluation to advance policy advocacy.
- ® Experience conducting media advocacy.$65,000-80,000 depending upon experience. Full benefits.To Apply:Please send cover letter and resume to:
Youth Together Director Search
1212 Broadway, Suite 400
Oakland, CA 94612
Visit www.arcassociates.org or
email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
People of color are strongly encouraged to apply. DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: October 15, 2001.
Position Desc.: Senior/Executive Management
Position Type: Full Time
State: CA . . . San Francisco/Bay Area
Country: United States
Salary: $65,000-80,000 depending upon experience. Full benefits
Post Date: 08-08-2001
Name: Art, Research and Curriculum, Inc.
How To Apply
Street: 1212 Broadway
State: ...San Francisco/Bay Area
Country: United States
Fax: (510) 763-1490
Subject: Youth Together Director Search