California State University, Dominguez Hills
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Soka University Japan - Transcend Art and Peace
Created: July 27, 2003
Latest Update: February 26, 2004
You will be held accountable for purposes of grading for the readings and exercises listed here. There will be no "testing." That means that you will not have to live in anxious anticipation of what we will ask and how much you will have to know. Instead, we will provide weekly discussion questions, lectures, essays, and concepts we feel that you should know as a result of having taken this course. You will assure us of that learning and receive your grade for the questions and concepts about which you choose to write and talk with us. In addition you will find detailed explanations and examples on our grading policies in the first week's reading.
* * * * * Week 7: Week of February 29, 2004
Topic: The Construction of Criminal Proceedings and the Media
- Surette. Media, crime, and criminal justice. -- Chapter 4.
- Of Little Gestures of Disappearance: Interpassivity and the Theory of Ritual.
- Potter and Kappeler. Constructing crime. -- xxx.
- Merlo and Benekos. What's wrong with the criminal justice system: Ideology, Politics and the Media. -- xxx.
Lecture related links:
--- Check out this link Ray Surette found by Bettie Poole.
Concepts to be covered:
- prejudicial information
- pretrial publicity
- due process
- reporter's privileged conversation
- media access
- courtroom cameras
- information control
- change of venue
- shield laws
- Can media trials coexist with fair trials? (Surette:113)?
- What aspects of contemporary news coverage do you feel are the most damaging to fair trials? (Surette:113)
- Should live television coverage of criminal trials be allowed? (Surette:113)
- Is it important that reporters be protected from testifying and that their files and notes be protected? (Surette:113)
Suggested Creative Activities:
Left/Right Perspectives - Cursor - New York Times
Arts and Letters Daily - The Economist - The Guardian
Wall Street Journal -The Weekly Standard - The Nation
Los Angeles Times - Chicago Tribune - The Washington Post
Cursor's Al Jazeera Archive - Ha'aretz - Palestine Monitor
Indymedia - BBC News - New Profile - Progressive Sociologists Network
Minimum Requirements for Week 7: