California State University, Dominguez Hills
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Soka University Japan - Transcend Art and Peace
Created: July 27, 2003
Latest Update: October 16, 2003
You will be held accountable for purposes of grading for the readings and exercises listed here. There will be no "testing." That means that you will not have to live in anxious anticipation of what we will ask and how much you will have to know. Instead, we will provide weekly discussion questions, lectures, essays, and concepts we feel that you should know as a result of having taken this course. You will assure us of that learning and receive your grade for the questions and concepts about which you choose to write and talk with us. In addition you will find detailed explanations and examples on our grading policies in the first week's reading.
* * * * * Week 8: Week of October 19, 2003
Topic: Media and Police
- Guest Lecturer: Kenneth Lumpkin
- Merlo and Benekos. What's wrong with the criminal justice system: Ideology, Politics and the Media. -- Chapter 2.
- Read "Law Enforcers: A Profile" which can be found on Ray Surette's website.
- Surette. Media, crime, and criminal justice. -- no chapter readings this week.
- Potter and Kappeler. Constructing crime. -- no chapter readings this week.
Lecture related links:
--- Sociology of Knowledge Files . --- Check out this link -- Ray Surette's website ( found by Bettie Poole).
Concepts to be covered:
- community policing
- racial profiling
- "techno cops"
- Discuss why images of police and policing are distorted. What can be done to create more balanced views of police? (M&B:46)
- What are the consequences of viewing criminals as "evil enemies" of the war on crime? (M&B:46)
- Examine the media's role in portraying crime and police. Discuss the consequences of a "law and order" image on the public's expectations and understanding of the police. (M&B:47)
Suggested Creative Activities:
Left/Right Perspectives - Cursor - New York Times
Arts and Letters Daily - The Economist - The Guardian
Wall Street Journal -The Weekly Standard - The Nation
Los Angeles Times - Chicago Tribune - The Washington Post
Cursor's Al Jazeera Archive - Ha'aretz - Palestine Monitor
Indymedia - BBC News - New Profile - Progressive Sociologists Network
Minimum Requirements for Week 8: