A Justice Site
CSUDH - Habermas - UWP
California State University, Dominguez Hills
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Soka University Japan - Transcend Art and Peace
Created: July 24, 2002
Latest Update: July 24, 2002
Analysis of Planning for a Small Research Study
Teaching Essay Copyright: Jeanne Curran and Susan R. Takata and Individaul Authors, July 2002.
"Fair use" encouraged.
This teaching module is based on TITLE OF MODULE.
- Preparatory readings for module.
- Read Anna Katz' essay on a proposed small research project:Psychology 475G, Psychology of Prejudice by Anna Katz. Spring 2000. Emory University. Backup.
- Notes on and analysis of readings.
- Discussion questions.
- What goes into the introduction to your report of the research study? How do you get started?
- What's a research question? Is it different from a focus question?
Experiential activities related to module.
- I'm going to propose a small research study along the lines that Anna Katz describes. Let's ask: To what extent does post-secondary education encourage respect and dignity for its students? Is it adequate that such respect and dignity be referenced in the school's mission statement?
Self-test questions related to module.
- A focus question is a question that you ask a participant in the study to answer so you can be sure they are qualified to participate. T or F?
Conceptual linking we had in mind as we prepared the module.
- Check out Anna Katz' introduction. Notice that she leads her reader right into the focus of her study. This is good communication. She hooks you with her ideas, and then introduces her study plans once you're hooked. No one's going to read your study unless you make it sound like it's worth it.
- The research question asks the basic question you are trying to answer with your study. Example: To what extent does post-secondary education encourage respect and dignity for its students? Is it adequate that such respect and dignity be referenced in the school's mission statement? In considering how the research question relates to the focus question, refer to