A Justice Site
CSUDH - Habermas - UWP
California State University, Dominguez Hills
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Created: August 1, 2000
Latest update: August 9, 2001
- New Additions in August 2001:
- Internatiional Council for Caring Communities (ICCC) Don't miss the menu tabs at the top of the main page! This is an important site for Transforming Discourse. jeanne
- Non-Governmental Organizations
- Réseau International d'ONG sur la Désertification / The International NGO Network on Desertification and Drought
This link is to the Introduction to RIOD, giving you a sense of how non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and community-based organizations (CBOs) are working together to combat the lack of water resources world-wide.
- Histories of Violence and Peacemaking
- The Bombs of August: Hiroshima and Nagasaki
Article by Howard Zinn in The Progressive. Link added August 1, 2000.
- David Nirenberg's Communities of Violence
Scroll down about a third of the way to Patrick Geary's recommendation: "If I could send people to two recent medieval-history books that are fascinating, important, and demanding, those books would be David Nirenberg's Communities of Violence: Persecution of Minorities in the Middle Ages (Princeton, 1996) . . . . Nirenberg examines the persecution of . . . ."
As Geary describes it, this text looks at the ways in which people structure their lives in coping with the strains of inclusion, exclusion, and normative tradition in the lives they are living. I do not have the book, and it is out of print. We should be able to find a library copy. I think this would fit well into our understanding of interdependence and choices between violent and non-violent means of responding to structural violence.
Patrick Geary is the Director of the Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies at UCLA
- Teaching Peacemaking
- Peace Education: The ISMEM Model
- Youth Cultures Transformation Project
Howard Richards Project
- Peace Studies as Experiential Education By Anthony G. Bing, Reprinted from: ANNALS, AAPSS. 504, July 1989.
- Howard Richards' Peacemaking Methods Course
- Howard Richards'Online Works at Earlham College
- Community Policing
- Peacemaking Sites