A Jeanne Site
Site Narrative in Reverse Chronological Order
California State University, Dominguez Hills
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Latest update: January 12, 1999
Faculty on the Site.
Back to Dear Habermas Home
Site History: July 31 through July 20, 1998
- July 31, 1998
- Yahoo logo hung on default.htm, on sitecont.htm, and default.htm on local host. Deleted and recaptured logo. Now working. But hand not on either main site or mirror site, because I din't reload, and they're ok. Reported to Yahoo bugs. May be other bugs with Yahoo or other logos. Please e-mail me immediately.
- Revising About the Site. Separated site goals from site history. Separated out site navigation and various searches. Adding notations for external links.
- From main page, A Child is Dead not accessible. Will check link, but for now, just add /juvcrimes.htm and that will get you there.
- Main site is now uploading Site Contents and Site Index.
- As soon as Site Contents is done, I'll place instructions somewhere prominently on how to move to a mirror site if something doesn't read. Nag if you need it soon. Things are pretty busy around here.
- Trying to coordinate navigation scheme on Home to site contents with titles. Problem is the need for several levels of all site-use categories because of the range of skills of users. i.e. I can't just put up search icons linked to search engines - too much variation in users. So there's quick search, basic prof'l search, library search, amazon.com search - they all offer different perspectives and that needs to be somehow conveyed through the combination of site contents, navigation system and index.
- July 29, 1998
- July 28, 1998
- First, this is a new habit, and I am going to be remiss. Fuss at me. I will do my best. But I may just catch us up once or twice a week. This is a lot of work, folks.
- Today I tried to put navigation on
Evaluating Authority Also corrected the loading problem with the page stopping at the Merton article. That was a non-functioning logo, and is now corrected.
More will be added on Merton's OTSOG. This little piece is meant to go with Epstein's impure science, and Barbara McClintock's unwillingness to leave her lab observations to anyone but herself. I want to build links to these, and to Learned of Hawaii acknowledging the disputation that still exists around neutrinos. For now I'll just build links. Got to get the structure up. But this is the kind of synthesis where we could each take a piece and construct important text as we go.
- Added validity to index with link to reinforcing what Epstein says about impure science with what Merton said so many years earlier. Did not text link.
- Began construction of navigation on Site Contents Page. Using Homepage navigation as the guide, but still think the whole contents is just too much for the Homepage.
- Server refusing to upload Site Index, Site Content. And Race and Ethnicity. But they went up on soclink so everyone should use the soclink URL at least temporarily if you're looking for that stuff, till we can fix it. That is not yet genuinely a mirror site, but will be so maintained shortly. It is as close to mirror as I can keep it right now.
- The Native American material from Santa Fe in May will go up on the Race and Ethnicity file as soon as I can get to it. Nag, if you're looking for it.
- Added quotes from Pat Acone. They're all in caps for easy identification. From now on I'll add to the top of the list.
- July 21, 1998:
- .D.H specially recommends and changed Main Page for Spec Rec
Moved "we specially recommend" to "specrec.htm" Gets it off the homepage, cleaner homepage document.
- Alfie's Concerns on Grades and Rewards Added references to special recommendation on Alfie Kohn's piece. Two papers from educ phil which came from link followed from Martin Ryder. Alfie had one hard copy ref. from Covaleskie, but not his online reference, and not the McDonough answer to Covaleskie's categorization of Foucault's theory as reduction to power. Look for those two. Page cleaned up a little.
- Rec to Alfie's page
Added piece by Andy Lock on Against Cognitivism. We need to separate the social constructivists from the cognitive "scientists. Jeanne Link up on Rejecting Control - Embracing Self-Discipline Title later disappeared when I was restructuring alfiek page. But self link probably still threre.
- Because Virtual Faculty shares Alfie Kohn's concern - checked links there. They're old - we're tired, and this is jungle-clearing territory. But Andy Lock's paper "Against Cognitivism" looks like a place to start.
- July 21, 1998:
- July 20, 1998:
- This is when we figured out to go with a Site Additions page. Working forward from here. Will try to clean up older stuff, too. Jeanne