A Jeanne Site
Site Narrative in Reverse Chronological Order
California State University, Dominguez Hills
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Latest update: January 8, 1999
Faculty on the Site.
Back to Dear Habermas Home
Site History, August 8 through August 1, 1998
- August 8, 1998
- Created webpage.htm because I received logo from Tripod. Geocities has one at end of every page on site. For now, students will have to pick one of those for a free web page or go hunting on their own. Will add more when site structuring complete.
- Tried to create icon for backlink from Lycos. Don't think I succeeded, but learned how to create an icon to switch between sites of DH and did so. Changed the whole Home page opening with those ugly green letters. Will set up icons for the other two mirror sites, hopefully today. Just click the little DH logo and hop back and forth between sites! Almost as good as a water slide.
- Have begun template for arts and graphics on templart.htm. Soon this will be where we keep graphics for use on DH and Kids' Site. It's our scrapbook. Already started some of that with acknowl.htm, but these will need to be combined. Access link now through aboutsit.htm (About the Site) and linked from Site Maintenance - Templates.
- About to start new Dear Habermas Column piece on Actions in Response to Critical Analysis: Confrontation and Negotiation - the costs, and a whole piece on "Where is the conservative right in this picture?" reminder that the right is currently predominant, since critical theory and reflexive methodology don't sit too well with cutthroat increase the profits in any way you can capitalism. But when examining issues critically, we have failed to teach by one to one correspondence with the real world they can see, where the right is, and what the basis for its concerns us. This has to be one of DH's responsibilities.
This is going into DH Column because that's how the issue got here. Snail mail, no less. But remember the principle of access. Not everyone has a computer at home or even available. And the issue is a home-grown crisis - crime reporting and the "disappearing" of the student newspaper at CSUDH over the summer and late Spring. Sources: Feagin, institutional discrimination with no perpretrator. The "no perpetrator" argument is a good one to teach the right's position in conjunction with Minow's unstated assumptions. Some of you may want to add some theory or analysis. Another source will be Goffman's Stigma, because the reporting involved and the disappearing of the paper are visible stigmas. And that leads to what appears to be the throwing out of valid information. The right fails to see the misiformation aspect of the data we are throwing out, so they see it as a freedom of speech issue. Again, no perpetrator. This is gonna take us right into Gordon, Lewis and bad faith.
This needs to be started in the DH Col, but it's got to go on to a complete text on "racing" the baseline of normative system assumptions. Important chunk if we are to achieve discourse.
- Also very anxious to do piece on labeling. The "no perpetrator" institutional discrimination and the "voice" and connected knowledge have made me rethink how I feel about the numerous reports I received that our great leader at the university called me a "wacko." Whether he did or not matters less than the fact that I believed it, and accepted that it really could happen in what I call a workplace. To insult with such labels is a silencing technique for critical advocates of real and actual change. The snail mail reports that another professor tells of a high level official accusing a male faculty member of disloyalty and suggesting that he would pay the consequences. Maybe he won't be believed - it sounds so far fetched. I have grown so used to hurled epithets of intolerance for difference. I say they don't hurt, and after all, I am different. I lie. To myself, my students, and the world. It hurts terribly to be dismissed as voiceless and silenced simply because I cannot pass in their world. I need to tell my story along with the professor in communication, for that may help him to be believed, and that may make it less acceptable when it happens to others.
- Set up templart.htm with animated gifs and other graphics, designed to go up with specific files as we are creating them. Changed grpahics on Home page. Need to state clearly that this art is not for the taking - not ours.
- August 7, 1998
- August 6, 1998
- Entered an OJP piece on Community Action: Partnerships against Violence on crimjust.htm and defined it as a new and approaching text. Indexed it and added it to default page with link.
- Arranged with Pat to bring in Stanly Pogrow's HOTS book for coordination to site.
- August 5, 1998
- Did some revision on aboutsit.htm
- uploaded a page for Pat: patspage.htm and included narrative advising on it. Recommend Susan that you might consider such a page for Wanda, maybe even for MaryFrances, though probably without the discourse pieces. I'm doing one for Richard.
- Went to the index to update to women's ways of knowing, and the index crashed. Is this like a nursery rhyme, or what? Anyway, Pat's Page is the only one that I know for sure has the amazon.com link to women's ways of knowing, and we should find that on other files and link. I know what the problem was. There are bones for our dogs. But it was a Windows 95 cupboard and it crashed before I could grab a bone. Oh, forthe time to put up NT.
- HTML editor working again. Added piece to crimjust.htm on New study on iicidence of domestic abuse. Added to default.htm. Just set it up for a threaded discussion on women and silencing, increased violence concerns, and restorative justice issues. Indexed.
- August 4, 1998
- Sent instructions for mirror site at Wisc.
- Checked Wisc Home page, found Ja Anne Schneider's report on training programs for working americans. Added link to the two reports there from fatnmean.htm. Then added essay blurb on how this relates to discourse, and to all the silencing literature. Ties in Freire, etc.Hockenberry with the codes, WWK. Going back now to upload this, and to create silence.htm for all the sources we have on this aspect of discourse. Students and silence will fit in there, too.
- Have not yet added Schneider's link into Site contents. Need to do that. someone please nag.
- August 3, 1998
Wrote and loaded Villaraigosa piece on raceneth.htm. Linked to L.A. Times. Now need to link to state legislature and to Time-crit.
- Added quote from Villaraigosa
- Added Fool's Crow to sources on discourse, added Polish poet. I think that was today.
- August 2, 1998
- Spent most of time on discourse.htm file. Coordinated to site navigation on default.htm, and moved many of the titles to site contents. Lower half of site contents still developing while I add stuff.
- Created notthem.htm. Changed its name to aintus.htm. I think I like Gaines' own words better. First piece: narratives in literature
Found Gaines' Three Men - and put up.
Will put up also Genitrix of Mauriac, but didn't find copy yet. Will put up both French and English. Same with Habermas. Time to put foreign languages on pages. Put up brief essay. Will need copies of book.
Put up amazon.com links to both Gaines and Mauriac, then added internal links to akfiek.htm and fatnmean.htm. Need to add links to race, sex, and ethnicity as those sections are completed.
- Found Life Swap. Will include. Stands for "inability to assess situation by objective measurement alone, need for other perceptive approaches. Need to quote faculty saying these students don't have stories: then put up a couple, like the fifteen minute study periods. And go back to the responsibilities of narrative teaching - to help them beyond silence or received knowing into subjective knowing from which they can find and tell their stories.
Find the Virginia Woolf essay on the feminist movement in which she declines to write the feminist story of the working class women, for it is their story and they could tell it far better fhan she, for whom that story does not exist. Quoted in one of our early books.
- August 1, 1998
- Message that self-injury site changed. Llama has family crisis: family member seriously injured. Didn't check for ami i alone? link, but need to. Did send her message from her guestbook. (Through her site.)
- Added Lycos link to our search apparatus. Created a backlink through lycos. Can be reached through About the Site - Template for Backlink
- Finished cleaning up default.htm. Still have categories to define in Justice, jurisprudence and judgment and in Elements of Discourse.
- Some links removed as part of cleanup to a WordPerfect document. If you can't find something, I'll go look for it. Document called August 1. I don't think I lost anything, but no guarantees.
- Pieces to go up shortly: Fat and Mean - pp120 ff. interdependency of subsystems - from deomestic violence to job stress to economic status of gender - will go in piece on restorative justice - when the subsystems are so interdependent, traditional disciplinary power gets all messed up - expect to put this in JJJ under restorative justice.
- The "Not them" identity piece - Pat is picking up a copy of Ernest Gaines. We don't know where mine is. One of cognitive difficulties with increasing overall stress (see fat and mean piece above) is that we need to yell at the "fariness" God. That's tantrum kind of "it ain't fair" stuff. Whenever that happens identities get mixed up with "it's not my fault," defensive denial of responsibility and angry and hostile displacement of fears and frustrations to any person or group available - see correspondence to domestic violence, and parallels Gordon draws. At this point, identities are bound up in a "not I" syndrome that ultimately leads me to define myself as a "NOT THEM", them being anyone I can blame for the fate that has befallen me. Gaines described this in "Three Black Men" We are seeing instances of it every day. Time to begin to record the narratives. That will be thread for this section.