A Jeanne Site
Site Narrative in Reverse Chronological Order
California State University, Dominguez Hills
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Latest update: January 12, 1999
Faculty on the Site.
Back to Dear Habermas Home
Site History, August 29 through August 9, 1998
- August 29, 1998
- Created a new file: bookmark.htm for bookmarks to sites that will lead to process texts either for hardcopy text grwoing from site or on site. Probably both, since hardcopy text will probably just give more extensive information that is not available online. This first addition to bookmark.htm is on nature and conservation - that fits with the neutrino story.
- August 15, 1998
- Added Horn's piece on us vs. them to aintus.htm
- Added a link under jurisprudence, justice, etc. to netweb Called it the Web is Us, but linked to netweb.htm generally, not to a specific piece.
- Added another "duh" piece to the index.
- Added Rheingold to the index. Also added Horn and virutal communities.
- August 14, 1998
- Located my copy of Rheingold's Virtual community and added reference to it to netweb.htm. Also added the online version. Still need to check out Amzon.com - they may sell it. He gives sources on his site. But they won't contribute to our student book fund.
- Checked out Stacy Horn's Echo in New York City. No time yet to add info to site. Very New York. Does use four letter words and does say that which might shock some. But the sense of people and the motivating sense behind the site seem to be caring. Someone nag me if you need this up more quickly. Gotta go now.
- August 13, 1998
- Lost whole file on evalauth.htm. Have reconstructed all except the list of reference links. Am reconstructing them slowly. Have them on files, but I have to go find each one separately.
- Raland at Brooknorth has confirmed that BluePrint will take care of the site, so I'll be putting that up as soon as I can switch computers.
- The Duh . . . series has started. Will continue as a feature. You can find it in the siteindx.htm for now.. Maybe when the series develops, we should add it to Features.
- Am about to det up Toon Team - I think it's an easter egg on papers.htm. Check it. But Toon Team has to be split. It is part of dumbo mumbo jumbo, which exists as entire set of toon team stuff, waiting to go up. Dumbo mumbo jumbo will have to be broken off from "Wicked little unstated assumptions." It was graphic constraints that made me switch - I couldn't get the explosive I wanted for wicked little unstated assumptions - so I switched to an Honorius toon, which changed the nature of the poem. Wicked little will probalbly stay as easter eggs of narratives of people being damaged by "no perpetrator" hammering through the cracks. dumbo mumbo jumbo can also live as easter eggs, but a separate series.
- Finished netweb.htm Needs a free speech ribbon, but I lost it when I lost the site. Go find.
- Toonteam.htm is linked as an easter egg to search.htm This is the dumbo mumbo jumbo series. That series is based on a kind of catatonic response to the abuse of a system that refuses to hear us. It bears a distinct relationship to nonsense poetry, just for sound, but there are themes in it. I am presently using Honorius' cartoon illustrations because it is not given that I can play with graphics now. First the site, then we play. Honorius' caroons are available through templart.htm which is linked through about the site. Oy, this is complex.
- Now there is a second series - The Wicked Little Unstated Assumptions. This series will also appear as easter eggs. WE will collect short narrative examples of unstated assumptions creating no perpetrator harm through rules that are auto-poietic and non-learning. Maybe the site will finish itself and I can do the graphics for this? Dreamer.
- scholref.htm has easter egg which sends you to toonteam.htm
toonteam.htm logo sends you back to scholref.htm
- Finished wicked.htm Sorry it's not funny, that will have to come later. I guess I'm angry about the way they treat us - but it's good stuff. Good links, good threaded stuff.
- August 10, 1998
- Worked on search.htm. Went out on Web to Native American sites, included some. But left them right on search.htm. Gotta move them to a special site, at least the substantive stuff. Only links on search.htm. Also went to Constitution of oneof the Inuit peoples, I think, Nunavut - copied a small piece of their constitution on whether women should have the vote - in 1997! Need to cut and comment and move to appropriate file. But for now, available on search.htm.
- Added another easter egg. Hot link on search.htm logo leads to srchsurp.htm. It's the beginning of a series of "Duh . . ." cartoons, with animation, that represents to me auto-poietic non-learning systems hammering in those who fall through the cracks. It appears also in Students ain't us, which needs a main page link, and which is on aintus.htm.
- I lost the whole site. Windows ate it. I swear it did. Luckily, I have backup in so many places, I was able to recreate the original directory pretty closely. I don't even know why it ate it. Maybe just that it was 7 a.m. and I'd been on the site since 5 a.m. In the process I lost sitehist.htm. It's now back. Needs a link on the main page. Am going to split the months into beg, mid, end, and as we complete each, remove the narrative from siteadd.htm to sitehist.htm, and those will be 01, 02, etc. so that the files don't get horrendously long. Now I gotta go take the end of July off the present siteadd.htm, so that it just has the beg of Aug. I may just skip the middle of August all together, or is taht altogether? As long as I can skip it I don't care.
- Added bits and pieces to templart.htm. But it needs to be split, too. No file should be so long that it can't be conveniently printed. For chapters and full length papers we'll go to download.
Cleaned up search.htm some. Removed the bits from the native people sites. Removed the Yahoo search , and substituted the icon from the default.htm page, because the search hangs. Replaced it this morining. It worked. Tonight it hangs again. More work on search in late August.
- Created natpeopl.htm for indigenous people. Not enough time to get all the material up, but enough to show what's coming.
- August 9, 1998
- Add Who are we? to alfiek.htm, and then highlighted Covaleskie's paper on power. Now plan to go back and fit that whole set into a pattern.
- Added material to the templart.htm file. Started the wintholi.htm for kids' page. (Wintner holidays)
- Stopped to play. Remembering Playing with Habermas and Pogrow. There have to be fun surprises, like crackerjack box prizes. Not gold stars, Alfie. Play. Play is good. It does not destroy intrinsic motivation. It provides intrinsic motivation with new avenues to explore. Si I'm building play into the site, and I expect the team to help.
Remembering Netscape, I've put in Easter Eggs. No religious connotation intended, that's what they were called in connection with netscape. A code somewhere that did something not advertised, not expected, just for fun. You had to be knowledgeable to find it. The evil blink was one of the easter eggs.
What led me to the idea was that I hate all the gizmos and gadgets that just sit there, good for nothing. They waste bandwidth. They aren't very much in the way of art. And our logo just sat there. Well, it could do something if I hotlinked it. But to where? Surprise. As fast as I can get there I am hotlinking each logo, and other non-functional gizmos on our pages. Usually it will take you somewhere lighthearted, to a little respite, a chance to break the intensity. Suggestions for surprises for the hotlinks would be real welcome. They're fun to do. The whole team should be playing with them. Not gonna tell you where they are. Go play on the WEB! And we're not going to tell the students that they exist or where they are. To find them, you gotta get to here, or hear it by word of mouth. There are times when things are best left unsaid. Did someone say that? It'd make a great quote.