A Justice Site
MIRROR SITES: CSUDH - Habermas - UWP
ISSUES AND CONCEPTS: Susan's Archive at UWP
Academic Resources - Daily Site Additions
Lectures - Notes - Texts - Self Tests - Discussions
Visual Sociology - Graduate Exam Study
POST TO: Tutoring - Learning Records - Transform-dom
SEARCH: Topics Index - Site Index - Issue Archives
Google Web Search - Google Site Search
California State University, Dominguez Hills
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Created: December 26, 2005
Latest Update: December 26, 2005
The following questions are based on Backup of Organizational Justice Perceptions
- Who is the author associated in the U.S. with "justice and fairness?
Consider John Rawls, philosopher, Harvard. John Rawls in Wickipedia
- What are the two priniciples on which Rawls bases his concept of justice and fairness?
The pirnciple of liberty and the principle of difference.
- What is the liberty principle?
That each person should have access to opportunities to develop and use his skills that are as nearly as possible equal to the access of every other person. A kind of equal opportunity principle.
- What is the difference principle?
That even though some people will have career positions of family privilege that will give them greater opportunity than others, the decisions they get to make through that privilege should benefit all the people, including the least advantaged in the community for which they are making the decisions.
- What would the difference principle require that our President and all our representatives, local, state, and national consider about Katrina?
That the ninth ward be afforded the same opportunities for reconstruction as all other wards.
- What would the difference principle require that our President and all our representatives, local, state, and national consider about the war in Iraq? Who would the least advantaged be?
Consider Iraqi citizens, non-combatants, and our own armed forces personnel. Available resources be fairly apportioned for the protection of Iraqi citizens and their safety, and for American soldiers and their need for armor to protect them as they fight this war over which they had no say. That means that Halliburton's profits should be balanced by soldiers' and citizens' needs.
- What would the difference principle require that our President and all our representatives, local, state, and national consider about income taxes? Who would the least advantaged be?
Consider the unemployed, the underemployed, those in poverty, those in what once was the middle class. We would demand that, in fairness, our representatives consider the economic and social benefits to these least advantaged, as balanced against the rich. That means that the theory that greater privilege in accumulating capital would need to be balanced against the actual creation of jobs for the least advantaged whose jobs have been outsourced. That means that Walmart's refusal to pay adequate wages would have to be considered against tax costs of supplementing those wages by welfare measures.
- Who would have to be given voice on issues of incarceration who is presently not heard, if we considered the difference principle?
Consider the very people who are incarcerated, who are the least advantaged in the corrections system.