A Justice Site
CSUDH - Habermas - UWP
California State University, Dominguez Hills
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Soka University Japan - Transcend Art and Peace
Created: August 19, 2000
Latest update: March 11, 2002
- Critical Confrontations: Literary Theories in Dialogue Meili Steele. cloth, ISBN 1-57003-141-X, $29.95s paper, ISBN 1-57003-161-4, $12.95s Univ. of So. Carolina Press. Link added July 22, 2003.
- Internet Resources by Dr. Deborah Wittig backupAdded August 30, 2003.
- Merton, Interface Analysis By Michael Toth at Portland State University Backup
- Arendt, Hanna Link added on March 10, 2002.
- Benhabib, Seyla Situating the Self, on reformulating the universalist tradition "without committing oneself to the metaphysical illusions of the Enlightenment." (at p. 4) Link added March 3, 2002.
- Collins, Patricia Hill Fighting Words: Black Women and the Search for Justice. Well known for the perspective of Black women in U.S. and the law. Link added February 26, 2002.
- Dahrendorf, Ralf Class and Class Conflict in Industrial Society Carl Cuneo's notes and outline on this text. Link added March 11, 2002.
- Class and Class Conflict in Industrial Society Ralf Dahrendorf. Link added August 21, 2002.
- Captitalist Society in the Light of the Theory of Group ConflictFrom Ralf Dahrendorf, Class and Class Conflict in Industrial Society. VII. Classes in Post-Capitalist Society: I: Industrial Conflict. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 1959, pp. 241-248.
- The Frankfurt School External Site. Link to Frankfurt School about half an inch down the file in the essay. backup
- Fellman, Gordon Rambo and the Dalai Lama, on seeking a paradigm shift away from adversarialism and towards mutuality. Peacemaing. Link checked February 26, 2002.
- Fukuyama, Francis Social Capital and Civil Society. He's the one who wrote the End of History. Link added March 3, 2002.
- Habermas, Jurgen Between Facts and Norms Believes that we can move forward from the Enlightenment. Identified with the Frankfurt School and critical theory. But I still find much of the postmodernist, a la Seyla Benhabib's critique, in him. Link added March 3, 2002.
- Hegel Includes link to www.marxists.org. Many readings available online. Link added March 3, 2002.
- Henry, Stuart and Milovanovic, Dragan Constitutive Criminology at Work Critical theorists on criminology. Link checked February 26, 2002.
- Lara, Maria Pia Mexican philosopher. Link added March 10, 2002.
- Marxist theory IV. Neo-Marxisms and Cultural Materialisms By T.V. Reed. Link added July 22, 2003.
Rigney, Daniel The Metaphoric Society Link added August 13, 2002..
- Said, Edward W. Known as the author of Orientalism and for Culture AND Imperialism, and as theorist of the Postcolonial. Link checked February 26, 2002.
- Dorothy SmithWriting the Social: Critique, Theory and Investigations. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1999, 307pp. $60.00 cloth (0802043070), $21.95 paper (0802081355). Link added July 22, 2003.
Old Index, not yet fully transferred:
Habermas, Juergen Links to references on Dear Habermas, most explaining why we chose Habermas as our mentor for this forum. Habermas, Juergen The Critical Theory of Jurgen Habermas Summary outline by Dan MacIsaac, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Dept. of Physics and Astronomy, Northern Arizona University. Good overview, with a comparison to Freire and Marx. The Jürgen Habermas Web Resource by Steve Robinson, Professor Dean Rehberger, English 980: Studies in Rhetoric. Michigan State University Hall, Edward T. on affect and learning, from the Silent Language. Highest affect goes with the most informal types of learning, like informal socialization and modeling. Least affect goes with technical learning. So one way to defuse a confrontation is to move the discussion to a technical level. Said, Edward M. Culture AND Imperialism, On Jane Austen's Mansfield Park and England's Ideas of Empire.
- Index of files on Said Link added February 3, 2002. Link added February 3, 2002.
Simmel, Georg, Online Sociology in Switzerland. Thomas, W.I, on the Definition of the Situation. Published in 1923 in The Unadjusted Girl. Early recognition of the interdependence of the individual and the social group. Thomas, W.I., on the Significance of the Orient for the Occident Early example of the North/South dilemma over time. We'll want to compare this to Edward Said's work. Znaniecki, Florian Published the Polish Peasant in Euurope and America with W.I. Thomas in 1913. Recognized the interdependence of the individual with his/her culture.