Link to What's New This Week UWP Commentary on Recent Lectures:Week of September 21, 2003

Dear Habermas Logo and Link to Site Index A Justice Site



UWP Commentary from Lectures - Week of September 21, 2003

Mirror Sites:
CSUDH - Habermas - UWP - Archives
Practice Module on This File

California State University, Dominguez Hills
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Soka University Japan - Transcend Art and Peace
Created: September 6, 2002
Latest Update: September 27, 2003

E-Mail Icon jeannecurran@habermas.org
takata@uwp.edu

Site Teaching Modules UWP Commentary on Recent Lectures:
Week of September 21, 2003

Site Copyright: Jeanne Curran and Susan R. Takata and Individual Authors, September 2002.
"Fair use" encouraged.

* * * * *
Comments grouped by course.
Subject of comment in green.
susan's commentaries in bright blue.

Template:

  • Student Name:


  • All UWP Classes

    Adriana Cabrera wrote on Tuesday, September 23rd:
    On teaching/learning approach

    The way you are teaching is something that other professors should considered. It gives us the full responsibility to do our work without having someone given long lectures and us students writing without understanding what is being lectured. "No discussions" wow, we are definitely never going to get the opportunity to express our opinions. A good class, a class that I know I'm going to learn a lot from is a class that discussions are welcome. . .

    adriana -- thank you for your feedback. it is always helpful to hear from students. i welcome constructive criticism on what is working, what is not working, and to make things better.

    James Parker wrote on Wednesday, September 24th:
    On teaching/learning approach

    I've noticed that the learning style applied to this class is much like foreign language classes. All bring different perspectives. We listen to others without needing to reply partially because nobody knows the full subject. The teacher also learns how to improve the learner's skills in different areas. I think this is good because i remember more from these language classes then most others.

    james -- your feedback is helpful. thank you.

    On September 23rd, Ryan Fornal wrote:
    On drafting letter of recommendation or essay

    I was thinking about another possible creative measure to do. I remember last week in class that you had mentioned writing a letter of recommendation describing yourself. I'm planning on going to law school (preferrably Madison or Marquette) and one of the critical essay's that is required is for you to describe yourself and a special circumstance that separates you from other individuals applying for that same position. I was wondering if this would be an acceptable creative measure for me to do. Please let me know, thank you!

    ryan --- yes, definitely. either the essay or the letter of rec.

    On Monday, September 22, 2003, Kim Dexter wrote:
    On the job market

    I just wanted to let you know that after 6 months of perseverance and determination, I have finally found a job. I have been hired by the State as a Probation and Parole Agent. I will be working out of the Sturtevant office. Let your students know the market is tough, and they need to start applying now for jobs if they are graduating in December, or even May. Take care.

    kim -- thanks for the letting us know!

    On xxxday, September xxth, xxx wrote:
    On xxx

    xxx

    xxx -- xxx



    From CRMJ/SOCA 233: Criminology

    On Monday, September 22, 2003, Niomi Bushman wrote:
    On licensing parents

    I feel that licensing births is wrong, however i also become angered when kids have kids. Parents obviously are not' t raising their children right if their children go out and act out of concept by having children.

    niomi -- to license parents is an interesting idea, isn't it? the other issue kids having kids is also fascinating. want to research either of these topics as a creative measure?

    On Monday, September 22, 2003, Lonell Mays wrote:
    On licensing parenthood

    After class I thought about the ideal of parenting being liscened. At first i did not agree with the ideal until I thought about all of the underage kids that are having babies and are not able to take care of them.I am not taliking about materialistic things, But more important kids need to be taught about morals and values. Younger mothers and fathers now a days are concentrating on things that are not important and it is effecting the child.

    lonell -- how and where do we teach morals and values to a child? would that really have an impact on the teenage pregnancy rates/

    On Wednesday, September 24, 2003, Margaret Schwingle wrote:
    On licensing parenthood

    in response to lonnel mays' email i believe that you teach morals to children throughout thier entire life. and if we continue to do so that the teen pregnancy rate will go down. everyone needs a strong moral background to know what is right and wrong. not everyones morals will be the same but having some will be a good place to start.

    margaret -- you might want to read up on moral development (how a child's morals are developed).

    On Monday, September 22nd, Kyle Corrigan wrote:
    On a parenting license

    In our discussion today I feel people don't need a liscence to have kids. My parents had me at a young age. It may have been difficult for them at first, but they said that you really grow up fast when you have a child to support.

    kyle -- but, what happens if the parent doesn't "grow up fast," then what?

    On Monday, September 22, 2003, Heather Blanchard wrote:
    On licensing parenthood

    I thought about the issue, and just because someone has the qualities to be a good parent doesn't guarantee that they will be one. Everyone makes mistakes, and to say that some parents are less likely is impossible. Until someone is in that situation you don't know how they will respond.

    heather -- i understand your point but on the other hand, we license counselors and other occupations and yet, we can't predict if they will be good at it or not.



    On Friday, September 26, 2003, Amber Koloen wrote:
    On the death penalty

    I just wanted to add on to the death penalty discussion we had today in class. I think the death penalty is good and bad. Its good cause then the offender cannot harm again, but bad because what if he is not guilty or he has children. They deserve a mother or father no matter if they are bad or not.

    amber -- we will be discussing the death penalty in more details on Monday.

    On xxxday, September xx, 2003, xxx wrote:
    On xxx

    xxx

    xxx -- xxx



    From CRMJ 490: Media, Crime & Criminal Justice

    Stephen Bedwell wrote on Tuesday, September 23rd:
    On "playing the opposites"

    While reading I came across something very interesting: "Whatever the media show is the opposite of what is true." It is difficult for society to understand reality. Isn't it? What is society to do to find out the truth? Maybe we have to correct our portrayal of crime and justice in the media... but that may do more harm than good.

    stephen -- you're raising some excellent questions. what is true? what is real? how do we "know?"

    Erin Huff wrote on Wednesday, September 24th:
    On moral panics

    Moral panic has occurred in Milwaukee communities over sex offenders being placed in their neighborhoods. Before the news reports I wonder how many of them checked to see if a sex offender already lived there before they moved in or if it wasn't a big concern?

    erin -- yes, an interesting example. do you think people check prior to moving into a neighborhood? why

    Ryan Fornal wrote on Wednesday, September 24th:
    On what is real?what is true?

    This morning in class you said, "Don't take what the media reports on at face value, go deeper and find out more facts." My question is this, even if you don't take what the media says at face value and decide to do your own investigative research on something to dig up more facts, whose to say that you don't put your own little spin on the facts you were able to come up with and that you are reliable/credible enough to be reporting on what you found?

    ryan -- what is real? what is "objectivity?" what is "subjectivity?" we are all open to our interpretations. then what?

    Heidi Schneider wrote on Friday, September 26th:
    On reality TV

    After reading chapter 4 in constructing crime i think its intresting how all the information was about criminal reality shows. I checked and noticed this book was written in 1996, so in basically 6 years our idea of reality T.V. has changed drastically because now the number of reality shows about relationship and competition out number the reality shows about crime 10 to 1!!

    heidi -- glad that you mentioned this in class today because i'm catching up on email now. this is an excellent point. i wonder if P & K will update their book soon.



    xxx wrote on xxxday, September xxth:
    On xxx

    xxx

    xxx -- xxx

    xxx wrote on xxxday, September xxth:
    On xxx

    xxx

    xxx -- xxx



    From CRMJ/SOCA 363: Corrections

    On Tuesday, September 23rd , Caterricka Harris wrote:
    On the Code of Hammurabi

    The first thing I found very interesting is the fact that the Code of Hammurabi containes no laws having to do with religion. I found this to be very strange because in my Religion and Society class there is no seperation of church and state, meaning everything evolved around religion and branched off from there.

    caterricka -- good idea to follow up on a reference made in class to find out more information. you might want to explore the historical and cultural context of the code of hammurabi next.

    On Tuesday, September 23rd, Nick Schwartz wrote:
    On "playing the opposites"

    i found it intriguing that prisoners actually play small mind games with jailers by saying the opposite of everything they truly desire to have. what kind of an impact do you think this has on the prisoners in the long run once the jailers do catch onto their schemes?

    nick -- you raise an important question. now, attempt to answer it. what do you think the impact might be? do you "play the opposites" sometimes? why.

    On Tuesday, September 23rd, David Peter wrote:
    On the dancing man

    I have been reading the Hassine book and have been enjoying it but that has changed since reading about the "dancing man". This graphic account of what happened to this man and the fact that no one would help him made me truly realize that this is not just a book but the reality that awaits for the weak in the prison system.

    david -- yes, this part of the book has to be saddest commentary on humankind.



    On xxxday, September xxth, xxx wrote:
    On xxx

    xxx

    xxx -- xxx

    xxx wrote on xxxday, September xxth:
    On xxx

    xxx

    xxx -- xxx

    xxx wrote on xxxday, September xxth:
    On xxx

    xxx

    xxx -- xxx