Link to What's New This Week UWP Commentary on Recent Lectures:Week of October 12, 2003

Dear Habermas Logo and Link to Site Index A Justice Site



UWP Commentary from Lectures - Week of October 12, 2003

Mirror Sites:
CSUDH - Habermas - UWP - Archives
Practice Module on This File

California State University, Dominguez Hills
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Soka University Japan - Transcend Art and Peace
Created: September 6, 2002
Latest Update: October 17a, 2003

E-Mail Icon jeannecurran@habermas.org
takata@uwp.edu

Site Teaching Modules UWP Commentary on Recent Lectures:
Week of October 12, 2003

Site Copyright: Jeanne Curran and Susan R. Takata and Individual Authors, September 2002.
"Fair use" encouraged.

* * * * *
Comments grouped by course.
Subject of comment in green.
susan's commentaries in bright blue.

Template:

  • Student Name:


  • All UWP Classes

    Frank Conforti wrote on Wednesday, October 15th:
    On debriefings

    Do you still want a debriefing after kcdc?

    frank -- no debriefing forms this semester. i expect students who attend site visits to share their observations in class when we do "creative measures/current events." also you can email me your observations or schedule a time to meet me in my office to discuss this site visit.

    On October 16th, Kia Lor wrote:
    On the KCDC site visit

    I really like the site visit in the fact that it's really organized. William showed and gave us a lot of information about the kcdc. The only thing that surprised me the most was when one of the students asked if he'll show us the female dome and he said he won't show the female's dome to us because he hardly goes over there and he also wants to give them thier privacy. The second thing was that female inmates are not allow to work in kcdc. But other than that, the site visit was fantastic.

    kia --- glad you found today's site visit interesting. thanks for the feedback.

    On Thursday, October 16, 2003, Nicole Petruska wrote:
    On the KCDC site visit

    I found the site visit to be very educational. I am using it for another of my creativity measures. In my journal I listed my feelings of it and also compared it to the site visit I took last fall to RCI and also compared it to the Wood County jail where I was given a tour during my ridealong earlier this fall. Thank you for the opportunity to go to KCDC, I took a lot out of it.

    nicole -- you're very welcome. i hope that you will share your comparisons with the class on monday.

    On Thursday, October 16, 2003, Amy Tyllo wrote:
    On the KCDC site visit

    After our visit today to KCDC, I really began to wonder about the living situation. I mean they shoudn't get the best stuff in the world, but the dorms are terrible. The beds don't even have a pillow!!? I'm beginning to wonder if al that is necessary!

    amy -- i'm not sure what you're wondering about? if what is necessary?

    On Thursday, October 16, 2003, Bettie Poole wrote:
    On the KCDC site visit

    I was surprised today at our site visit at Kenosha Correctional Detention Center Facility in Kenosha. I was expecting to see a prison type setting like many of the other ones I have visited in the past. It was an exceptional clean place. Inmate have lots of previleges and freedom. That is a rewarding approach they have developed.

    bettie -- i toured this facility before it had inmates in it and several years later, this facility looks just as new as it was then. yes, they do keep this facility clean and shiny.



    From CRMJ/SOCA 233: Criminology

    On Monday, October 13, 2003, Kia Lor wrote:
    On Durkheim

    Based on class lectture on Monday about Emile Durkheim's theory of anomie, where he stated that crime is both normal and it could happen anywhere in our society. Well, I read an article that was updated on October 11, 2003 about a Little Caesars Pizza employee was shot and killed in a brazen daylight robbery Saturday morning outside a south side bank in a bustling shopping area in Milwaukee. Referring back to Durkheim's theory I think tha it's true. Because nowaday people (criminal) came up with the stupidest idea to kill and rob people even if it's daytime.

    kia -- good connection between a current event and theory. be sure to bring this up in class on wednesday.

    On Wednesday, October 15, 2003, Sammy Kromm wrote:
    On Durkheim

    I also wanted to comment on Kia's point in the discussion forum. I think that type of behavior reflects Freud's theory and how crime is learned as a child therefore they have to commit crime....its a need(psychological need) and they have to suffice it.

    sammy -- okay. what leads you to think that psychological theories apply here? (there are no right or wrong answers).

    On Monday, October 13, 2003, Katie MacCready wrote:
    On Durkheim and Merton

    In class today we talked about Durkheim and that crime is normal and necessary. When I went on my interview with the the social worker. She spoke alot about how it is inevitable that there will always be crime, from what she spoke about (the world being crime free is pretty impossible,) I made the connection that she would support what Durkheims say about crime being normal and necessary. When we talked about the Modes of Adaptation I would catergorize myself as a conformis, but in the future I see myself as a ritualist. I see many middle class people as ritualists, people trying to make ends meet and being law abiding cititens.

    katie -- a good application of durkheim's concept as it relates to your creative measure. but, i don' t get the impression that you are a ritualist with lowered expectations. what you've described here for middle class people sounds more like Merton's conformist. what do you think?

    On Monday, October 13, 2003, Alison Weeks wrote:
    On Merton

    The conformist student is a good example of theory and policy actually functioning well in practice.

    alison -- good point.

    On Wednesday, October 15, 2003, Lonell Mays wrote:
    On Durkheim and Merton

    I agree with Durkeim when he said that crime is necesary. I also agree with Merton when he mentioned that crime occurs because of blocked access to goals of society. Everyone feels pressures to achieve the same goals and to be sucessful, those who have no means to achieve societal goals feel strain which also goes back to the social strain theory.

    lonell -- in order to strengthen your argument, have a few examples to illustrate your point?.



    On Monday, October 13th, Sara Siefert wrote:
    On psychopathy

    you mentioned awhile ago about the misuse of the terms prison and jail. Well, the term psychopathy is also misused. It literally means mental illness, but the media uses it as the equilvalent of crazy or insane. (maybe thats why the terms psychopathy and sociopathy have been combined into the term antisocial personality)

    sara -- good point! thanks for letting us know.



    On Wednesday, October 15, 2003, Katie MacCready wrote:
    On the concentric zone model

    As a mini creative measure I am going to the talk about the concentric zone model . The zone has changed in Kenosha, this is because there are many factories getting knocked down that were once in the inner city. Many bussinesses are being built in industrial parks which are more in zone five. As for crime-robberies happen not just in the inner city but in many subdivision(zone 4 and 5 area,) this is beacause many people who live their are gone all day working and criminals know that.

    katie -- are you planning to go beyond this email message by exploring this theory further?

    On Friday, October 17, 2003, Amy Tyllo wrote:
    On Racine and the concentric zone model

    I read a little more about the Concentric Zone Model on the internet and got a little better understanding of what it is all about. I believe this still holds true today. Racine is a perfect example. With the east being Zone 1. It holds true when you cut the actually model in half. It's strange how these theories hold true many years later!

    amy -- be sure to explain how Racine and concentric zone model fits. isn't it amazing how some of these theories can endure over time?

    On xxxday, September xx, 2003, xxx wrote:
    On xxx

    xxx

    xxx -- xxx



    From CRMJ 490: Media, Crime & Criminal Justice

    Bettie Poole wrote on Monday, October 13th:
    On Court TV

    Since we are on the Media an the Construction of Criminal Proceedings and televised trials. This Website with different cases on celebrities and other famous people. The court t.v. webpage. One inparticularily I had observed was Jenny Jones case. court tv.

    bettie -- thanks for the link. i hope others will check out this website.



    Stephen Bedwell wrote on Wednesday, October 15th:
    On Sherri Jackson's lecture

    Sherri Jackson was very interesting today. She mentioned that writers must use correct terminology. I am glad that she focuses on this because this can play a role on how the public views what is occuring in society. When I had done my creative measure on trying to distinguish between fact and fiction, I also found that the words a writter uses can make an issue seem much different than it actually is. Its necessary that writers not overexaggerate a story.

    stephen -- good point. be sure to bring it up in class on friday when we go over this week's discussion questions.

    Tony Ciardo wrote on Wednesday, October 15th:
    On Sherri Jackson's lecture

    I thought that editors use quotes by people out of context just to make a story more interesting, but when she explained that they don't use any quotes out of context. she said people that get quoted say one thing and then friends, family, etc. bring up the quote stated and then feel bad so they then just say that the editor use it out of context when they really said what was written on the paper. After that statement she changed how it really happens in the media and people. _

    tony -- based on our readings, lectures, and other materials, how do you think individuals get misquoted?

    Dominick Melton wrote on Thursday, October 16th:
    On Sherri Jackson's lecture

    Dealing with the speaker on yesterday. She said the the usage of word is critical in viewers eyes. For example victim against the word accuser, because sometimes this may the viewers make the decision before the know all the facts.

    dominick -- good point! want to read newspapers to analyze their word selection and usage as a creative measure?

    Jackie Marolt wrote on Thursday, October 16th:
    On Sherri Jackson's lecture

    I thought it was interesting how both guest speakers said that animals get bigger news coverage then people. I know that when I was a kid watching a movie I was always more concerned if an animal got hurt than a person.

    jackie -- why do you think there is more interest in animals than humans?

    April Puryear wrote on Thursday, October 16th:
    On Sherri Jackson's lecture

    Sherri Jackson's presentation was very good. She did mention that quotes don't be out of context. I think a person's quote can somewhat be put out of context by what the reporter does not put in the article.

    april -- yes, context is important. what does our reading tell us about quotes and misquotes?

    Heidi Schneider wrote on Friday, October 17th:
    On Sherri Jackson's lecture

    One thing i thought was interesting about the guest speaker was the fact that she said that the victims or victims families like to talk about their loved ones so it's good for them to talk to the reporters. this is in direct conflict with what the video we watched said. It was eye opening to see that reporters really do feel like they are helping by interviewing victims. Maybe I should have asked if she had any special classes on how to deal with victims since she was so willing to interview them in a time of crisis.

    heidi -- good point, and i'm glad you mentioned this in class today.



    Veronica Ramirez wrote on Thursday, October 16th:
    On this week's handout

    I just wanted to comment on a part of the handout that I felt the news media was very superficial about, and relate it to current events. For example the children who get bullied in school, and how that effects them physically and mentally, and the newsroom deciding that two kids having sex in school is more important. Maybe if more importance was given to the kids who were being tormented in school they probably wouldn't have to shoot others to get some attention or feel important.

    veronica -- good point! be sure to bring up these observations when we discuss this handout in class.

    On xxxday, September xxth, xxx wrote:
    On xxx

    xxx

    xxx -- xxx

    xxx wrote on xxxday, September xxth:
    On xxx

    xxx

    xxx -- xxx

    xxx wrote on xxxday, September xxth:
    On xxx

    xxx

    xxx -- xxx



    From CRMJ/SOCA 363: Corrections

    On Tuesday, October 14th , Nicole Petruska wrote:
    On the documentary, "Hard Time"

    In the documentary "Hard Times" I was intrigued by a comment one prisoner made. He said, "I'm not aftaid of death because I understand it, I'm afraid of electricity because I don't." I thought that was an amazing thing to say. I started applying it to things in my own life and realized it's true, we're usually not scared of things we know or have seen before. It's the things we don't have a grasp on that scare us.

    nicole -- good point! yes, i agree that it is the unknown that frightens us.



    On Wednesday, October 15th, Bobby Malecki wrote:
    On the documentary, "Prison Gangs and Racism"

    I found the video educational,interesting. Why? It showed that some prison systems are turning back into a system of punishment rather than correcting. After the transition of punishment to correctional occured in the last 50 years, it seems the pendelum has swung back to punishment again.

    bobby -- how does this documentary relate to rehabilitation?

    On Thursday, October 16th, Andrea Berberich wrote:
    On the documentary, "Prison Gangs and Racism"

    I FOUND THE MOVIES YESTERDAY TO BE VERY INTERESTING. I COULDN'T UNDERSTANSD WHY THE PRISIONERS WOULD GO PSYCHOTIC, SEND THEM OFF FOR TREATMENT ONLY TO RETURN THEM TO THE SAME PLACE THAT MADE THEM THAT WAY.

    andrea -- it does make you wonder, doesn't it? if you're interested in the treatment of psychotic prisoners, you can research the topic as a creative measure.

    On Thursday, October 16th, Heather Sikorski wrote:
    On the documentary, "Prison Gangs and Racism"

    I went to the link convicts and cops. I liked how they gave you so important and interesting information, but not to much. I liked the slang terms that parole officers use when talking about the inmates, I only thought the inmates had slang. I also looked up the prison gangs in Texas after watching that film- it said that 143,000 inmates in texas, 5,000 are identified gang memebers and 10,000 are under suspicsion. to me that seems like alot. I wonder how they can try to minimize the flow of prison gangs. Maybe they can't

    heather -- i'm glad you found that link on the course preps page. it's been there for a while. yes, it is very relevant to the yesterday's documentary on prison gangs. glad you reminded me about it.

    On Thursday, October 16th, Katie MacCready wrote:
    On the documentary, "Prison Gangs and Racism"

    I connected with what we talked in previous dicussion questions- about whether the prison creates a more violent inmate or the crimnal creates a more violent prison. While viewing the movie on Wednesday, the idea about the prison creating a more violent inmate was true because, the KKK member became so racist and violent against blacks after entering prison. His own mother and he himself admitted that he to became much more racist and had such a violent attitude after entering hte penal sytem.

    katie -- a good connection going back to an earlier discussion question.



    On Thursday, October 16th, Keli Carr wrote:
    On rehabilitation

    After reading the articles last night,I have a new view on prison rehabilitation. Rehabiliation is only as good as the person who is recieving the information. On of the articles brought up a valid point that restriction along with rehabiltation, might be a more effective solution. For instance,if prisoners were subjected to no communication, light, window, and fresh air,that would have plenty time to think and ponder.Versus coming into a facility resting their head and then when they get out all they had was detention.

    keli -- i'm glad to find someone who's reading and responding to the handouts. my question is: isn't rehab a two-way street, though? an inmate may want rehabilitation but if the institution is unwilling to afford the opportunities, then what?