Link to What's New This Week UWP Commentary on Recent Lectures:Week of February 23, 2003

Dear Habermas Logo and Link to Site Index A Justice Site



UWP Commentary from Lectures - Week of February 23, 2003

Mirror Sites:
CSUDH - Habermas - UWP - Archives
Practice Module on This File

California State University, Dominguez Hills
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Soka University Japan - Transcend Art and Peace
Created: September 6, 2002
Latest Update: February 28, 2003

E-Mail Icon jeannecurran@habermas.org
takata@uwp.edu

Site Teaching Modules UWP Commentary on Recent Lectures:
Week of February 23, 2003

Site Copyright: Jeanne Curran and Susan R. Takata and Individual Authors, September 2002.
"Fair use" encouraged.

* * * * *
Comments grouped by course.
Subject of comment in green.
susan's commentaries in bright blue. Template:

  • Student Name:



  • From CRMJ/SOCA 363: Corrections

    On Sunday, February 23, 2003, Wil Hinca wrote:
    On "The Quiet Rage"

    A mirror, has reflections that are sometimes hard to change. How can we change, if we don't see anything wrong? The movie reflects these thoughts. It can only be changed by those are determined, without bias, while looking into the mirror.

    wil -- that reminds me of charles cooley's concept, "the looking glass self."

    On Monday, February 24, 2003, Jessie DuBois wrote:
    On "Quiet Rage"

    After watching the "Quiet Rage" video I found myself wondering why we are only focusing on if prison makes prisoners violent or they are violent people making a violent prion. Obviously by the way the prison guards were violent in thhe study and possibly are in real life, the whole situation is what is making the environment violent. We cannot exclude the guards who are violent also.

    jessie -- good point. we'll be focusing on the guards soon.



    On Tuesday, February 25th, Ryan Fornal wrote:
    On prison life

    Today in Corrections Class you mentioned, would it be easy to adapt to prison life at RCI. I would have to conclude, absolutely. Those prisoners have it all, three meals a day (if not more), a basketball court, weight lifting equipment, an area to watch television, this is supposed to be prison, right? I'm sure for some prisoners, it's like going on a vacation! Everything is given right to them. How can they even begin to call that prison! They should go back to the old days (Alcatraz) for example. Put them in there cells and only let them out for 1 hour a day. Allow only reading (certain material) for entertainment. I don't see how people can begin to think that we are helping to rehabilitate these "prisoners" by giving them as much as we do. If anything, we are only encouraging them to go out and commit crimes.

    ryan -- is it really that easy? might want to research the prisoner rights movement to get a different perspective.



    On Tuesday, February 25, 2003, Pleschette Robinson wrote:
    On prison guards

    I disagreed yesterday in class when someone commented on how the prison guards should be more strict on the prisoners, I think that they are strict enough because theirs alot of guards that think that they can control them, and talk to them any kind of way just because they supervise them. You have to show respect in order to get some.

    pleschette -- good point! want to research prison guards?

    On Wednesday, February 26 , 2003, Lindsay Weinstein wrote:
    On "Hard Time"

    One of the parts I found most interesting from the movie "Hard Time" was at the end when the inmate was talking about how he understood death but did not understand electricity (and gave a graphic scenerio of death by electricution). I decided to do a little research on the death penalty and how it first came about. I found a very interesting website: www.urbanlegends.com/death/electric.chair/electric_chair_history.html. It included information on the first execution by electric chair in 1890 which replaced hanging and numerous gruesome accounts which were often referred to as "inhumane".

    lindsay -- i agree that that particular segment of the documentary was fascinating. want to do a website review?

    On Thursday, February 27, 2003, Kimberly With wrote:
    On Blake and "Hard Time"

    Last night i watched that special on Robert Blake, and it made me think of the movie we watched in class about prison. He said he had no sense of time or day, and feels scared at the thought of getting out, because he wouldn't know what to do with himself. It was really sad to watch somebody who has lost their own identity.

    kimberly -- a good comparison between the documentary and this interview.

    On Thursday, February 27, 2003, Jessica Goodson wrote:
    On "Hard Time"

    After watching the movie "Hard Time" on Wed. I wanted to make a comment about the inmates that talked about how inhumanely they are treated, but what about the inhumane actions the chose to commit to get them in prison? They need to understand that once you go to prison, you lose all of your rights as far as personal freedom and respect is concerned!

    jessica -- good point. but don't inmates have rights, too?

    On Friday, February 28, 2003, Wayne Berry wrote:
    On "Hard Time"

    After watching the video "Hard Time", i thought maybe the perception of prison treatment might be a little different if there was some contrition by those incarcerated instead of pleading innocent all the time.

    wayne -- might want to view the documentary, "The End of the Nightstick" to be shown on Monday, March 3rd from 2-3:15 in Moln D139.



    From CRMJ/SOCA 365: Race, Crime and Law

    Ryan Fornal wrote on Tuesday, February 25th:
    On War

    Today in class we began discussing, is it worth going to war and have we exhausted all of our alternatives, etc... I feel that we have exhausted all of our possibilities, by constantly having UN inspectors go over there and not being allowed to conduct a full search for any biological/nuclear weapons. Since the gulf war, the UN has imposed 17 disarmament sanctions against Iraq to cease production of weapons of mass destruction. They have violated every single sanction. We have given them more then enough chances and opportunities to do so, and yet they still refuse. When the twin towers were hit and I saw on television the expressions on many middle eastern peoples faces and how happy they were (celebrating and dancing around), that really sickened me! I'm sorry, but I feel that war is the appropriate response in this case!

    ryan -- we each have our own opinion and the main purpose of my class is for all of us to listen to each other and share our thoughts, perspectives, opinions, and so forth.

    Joel Kaminskis wrote on Tuesday, February 25th:
    On war

    On Monday we had a large discusion on war, and i just wanted to make a point on why we should have war. If we did not have the civil war hear in the United States, what would it be like now, We might not have all the freedoms we do now, African Americans might still be slaves, and this is the point i wanted to bring up in class but we had run out of time.

    joel -- i'm not sure that i am understanding the logic of your argument. can you clarify your position for me? thanks!

    Tony Ciardo wrote on Wednesday, February 26th:
    On war

    i wnated to say that this war issue has come up alot in class and i wanted to know if it really deals with race, crime and law. i think that this issue shouldn't be talked about in a class like this and that we should look at different perspectives of race, crime and law. this was from monday's class.

    tony -- war involves all of us. but i do understand your point. you might want to research who fights these wars? what proportion on peoples of color? why. (then it relates to "race, crime, law").



    On Wednesday, February 26th, Heidi Schneider wrote:
    On Driving While Black

    The film sparked a few thought about profiling. First I think that police especially white officers are themselves being proflied, like alex said in class it's now an issue if you do pull a minority over, this will lead to and cause as many problems in the system as profiling does. Also the number of officers that responded to the driver who was taking his brother to airport made me think that you can profile even more once the car is stopped.

    heidi -- good observations. now, what would randall kennedy say about all this? why.

    Ryan Fornal wrote on Wednesday, February 26th:
    On Driving While Black

    After viewing the DWB (Driving While Black) movie, i'm still not buying into the argument that minorities are directly targeted for "routine" traffic stops. The individuals in the movie that were pulled over, were pulled over for the mere fact that they were driving suspiciously, or in a certain area at a very odd hour of the day. Two years ago, I was pulled over by a Mexican police officer for speeding. Should I say that he pulled me over for DWW (Driving While White) and that he specifically targeted me from the group of cars I was riding with?

    ryan -- you might want to read kenneth meek's Driving While Black and then let me know what you think?

    Lindsay Weinstein wrote on Wednesday, February 26th:
    On Driving While Black

    In reference to "Driving While Black" it was disturbing to me that people are pulled over just because of the color of their skin. I found an interesting website: www.cnn.com/US/9906/02/racial.profiling/ that included accounts by African Americans who were pulled over for no reason and possibilities of why this is occurring in the first place. A member of the American Civil Liberties Union's Racial Justice Project suggests, "The primary reason that police dept.'s have been able to get away with racial profiling is because they refuse to collect the evidence that would prove that a problem exists".

    lindsay -- a good idea to research beyond what is being presented in class. can you find anything more recent, though?



    From CRMJ/SOCA 352: Law and Social Change

    On Tuesday, February 25th, Courtney Soehl wrote:
    On American Indians

    I just wanted to comment on a part of the reading on Native American Indians that we didn't get to cover in class. It was in Chapter 2 of the "Images of Color" book, where the author discussed how U.S. Public Health Service doctors would sterilize thousands of unwitting Indian women to check the growth of the Indian population. I drew a correlation of this instance with World War II when Hitler attempted to rid many races he deemed unworthy. I just felt so ashamed of my country when I read that this happened, not to mention as recent as the 1980's. I just felt like commenting on this horrible act.

    courtney --- good observation. you might want to bring this up in class tomorrow when we continue our discussion on the American Indian.

    On Tuesday, February 25th , Stephanie Dallman wrote:
    On American Indians

    What I don't understand is if the Native Americans do not want to be stereotyped with the casinos and such, why do they keep opening and operating them around the country?

    stephanie -- good question! want to research this issue and let me know what you find out? it certainly is a very hot topic these days in Wisconsin.



    On Tuesday, February 25th, Heidi Schneider wrote:
    On "Law Enforcement in Indian Nations"

    about class yesturday I just wanted to say that I think out of the film that only situation that would be ideal is the Menominee tribe in wisconsin becuase the IA officers are trained along side with the regular state officers. This would help any confusion about how to handle certian situations. In teh other counties i could see the inconsistant training as a problem when dealing with crime.

    heidi -- good point. we'll be discussing this documentary in class tomorrow.



    On Wednesday, February 26th, Krista Lindemann wrote:
    On peacemaking criminology

    In reaction to the discussions in class about peacemaking criminology, I think it is a really good theory. Showing respect, love and concern for others would be great. However, in practice, I don't think this is a realistic approach. I understand the theory states that talking it through might be a rough and heated debate, but to see results, and come to a conclusion sounds unrealistic. It's very rare for people to settle heated disputes without violence, like the possibility of a war with Iraq.

    krista -- but there are several examples which demonstrate that peacemaking crim works: the dalai lama and the free tibet movement, the south african situation, and how about Martin Luther King, Jr's nonviolent approach to the civil rights movement? you might want to read desmond tutu's "no future without forgiveness."

    On Wednesday, February 26th, Jennifer Kruesel wrote:
    On peacemaking criminology

    I think that people do not realize that the littlest thing they do for someone matters. It makes peoples day even when you just smile at them. Hopefully they will carry out some nice gestures/deeds to anyone that they around and it will keep going. YOu have to start with yourself and then move on to others to try and make peace.

    jennifer -- yes, i agree. it's amazing how the little things really matter big time. saying "please" or "thank you" or even just a smile can make a big difference.

    On Wednesday, February 26th, Kim Dexter wrote:
    On peacemaking criminology

    Did you see the Saddam interview tonight? He wants to have a live televised debate with Pres. Bush. Bush said no. Wonder why. This fits in with the peacemaking discussion in class today. I think Bush is afraid he will lose even more support of the American people if he has the debate.

    kim -- i missed the interview. a debate with bush -- now that would be very interesting, wouldn't it?



    xxx wrote on xxxday, January xxth:
    On xxx

    xxx

    xxx -- xxx

    xxx wrote on xxxday, January xxth:
    On xxx

    xxx

    xxx -- xxx