Link to What's New This Week UWP Commentary on Recent Lectures:Week of March 2, 2003

Dear Habermas Logo and Link to Site Index A Justice Site



UWP Commentary from Lectures - Week of March 2, 2003

Mirror Sites:
CSUDH - Habermas - UWP - Archives
Practice Module on This File

California State University, Dominguez Hills
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Soka University Japan - Transcend Art and Peace
Created: September 6, 2002
Latest Update: March 8, 2003

E-Mail Icon jeannecurran@habermas.org
takata@uwp.edu

Site Teaching Modules UWP Commentary on Recent Lectures:
Week of March 2, 2003

Site Copyright: Jeanne Curran and Susan R. Takata and Individual Authors, September 2002.
"Fair use" encouraged.

* * * * *
Comments grouped by course.
Subject of comment in green.
susan's commentaries in bright blue. Template:

  • Student Name:



  • From CRMJ/SOCA 363: Corrections

    On Monday, March 3, 2003, Ryan Fornal wrote:
    On prisoner rights

    In class today when we were speaking on issues pertaining to prison, the prisoners and what rights they have etc... If prisoners are that unhappy with the few rights that they have, then why were they unable to abide by the law in the first place. Maybe, they were just given to many rights and need to lose their privilege. Afterall, they still have there basic human rights, medical treatment rights, legal rights, etc...

    ryan -- might want to research prisoner rights and the prisoner rights movement. find out which rights prisoners have and which ones they don't have and why.

    On Tuesday, March 4, 2003, DeAira Kennemer wrote:
    On prisoner rights

    I have read the lecture commentaries and I agree with Ryan, if someone should comitt a crime, they should have less privelages than we do. They are in jail. I think people fail to realize that. We did not tell them to kill, or steal. I think that it is unfair that we (students) have to pay so much for school, where in there they can recieve a law degree. Where is the justice.

    deaira -- you might want to research how an inmate's education is paid for?

    On Monday, March 3, 2003, Jaime Wincek wrote:
    On prisoner rights

    i agree how imates give up rights but have little rights due to the 8th ammendment on no inhumane behavior, the theory is right but somewhere in practice it goes wrong.

    jaime -- where in practice does it go wrong? why?

    On Monday, March 3, 2003, Krista Lindemann wrote:
    On prisoner rights

    I just wanted to let you know about the really good discussion I had with my group this morning about prisoners rights. I am researching the rights of inmates as my creative measure and I brought a print out of rights inmates have to class with me, and we went thru it and discussed some of the different rights the inmates do and do not have. I think prisoners do have rights, as is stated in this website I was researching. However, in practice they really do not. They have access to the courts, but there are so many loop holes to go thru that most of them just give up because it is a endless battle.

    krista -- yes, i noticed that in your group but i don't think it got shared with the entire class, though.

    On Monday, March 3, 2003, Chrissy Knox wrote:
    On prisoner rights

    In class today, when we were discussing our questions, my group talked a lot about whether or not prisoners give up their rights, or if they are taken away. I think that it works both ways. some prisoners give up their rights, because they do not know what their rights are.

    chrissy -- why aren't they aware of their rights?



    On Monday, March 3rd, Lindsay Weinstein wrote:
    On Courts and Corrections

    I think there is a large problem surrounding courts & corrections in terms of theory, policy, practice. Although prisoner rights are limited, courts have granted more rights to prisoners since the 1970s. In practice though, many of these rights seem to automatically become abolished once the person is incarcerated. I think the courts somehow need to further inforce these rights. I also feel like the rights that prisoners are given like the freedom to medical care, to be free of sexual predators, and freedom of speech are those that would otherwise be inhumane if not granted.

    lindsay -- you make several interesting observations here. is this something you'd like to research further?



    On Wednesday, March 5, 2003, Frank Conforti wrote:
    On sex offenders

    I found a web site with all of the Sex Offenders from Kenosha, I remember in the begging of the semester we could not find one. http://kenoshapolice.com/offender.htm

    frank -- thanks!



    On Friday, March 7, 2003, Jaime Wincek wrote:
    On "Prison Gangs and Racism"

    I thought that the kkk guy in the movie was sick, because a prison is highly populated with minorities and with his thinking like that is only going to make our society worse and it made me sick to my stomach.

    jaime -- want to research this topic as a creatie measure? if not, we'll be discussing this documentary as it relates to upcoming discussion questions.

    On Friday, March 7, 2003, Erin Matsunaga wrote:
    On "Prison Gangs and Racism"

    While watching the documentary on prison gangs in class, I thought it was a scarey thought that the people who enter prisons feel that in order to survive, they have to join a gang. Prisons definately create problems that way.

    erin -- it is a pretty scary thought. makes one wonder what part of prisons is doing the "correcting?"

    On Friday, March 7, 2003, Krista Lindemann wrote:
    On "Prison Gangs and Racism"

    I would just like to reply to the movie we watched in class today. It was stated in the movie this morning that 95% of inmates are released back into society. I was reading in Haas and Alpert that the "get tough" response to crimes is placing more and more criminals in jail. However, went on to continue that sending more and more people to prison, the more reliant upon early release to reduce the # of inmates in prison. As we do this, in theory, it looks great because we are getting criminals off the street. But in practice, this means that those who have committed serious offenses are being returned to the community. So . . . the more we put in prioson, doesn't mean are streets are safer . . . actually quite the opposite.!!!

    krista -- excellent observation comparing the documentary with the readings! what do we do now in terms of "theory,policy, practice," then? why.



    From CRMJ/SOCA 365: Race, Crime and Law

    Krista Lindemann wrote on Monday, March 3rd:
    On Kennedy

    While reading Kennedy, I came across an interesting issue. He says "courts have authorized police to use race in making decisions to question, stop, or detain persons so long as doing so is reasonably related to effiecient law enforcment and dot deployed for purposes of racial harassment." My response to this statement, is what does "reasonably" mean. To one patroling officers it may mean one thing and then mean something totally different to another officer. How do they measure "reasonably"? This is inconsistency that may be part of the problem.

    krista -- excellent observation! relates to habermas on "facts and norms" (the laws/policies vs. our expectations/interpretations of such laws).

    Ryan ?Fornal wrote on Wednesday, March 5th:
    On Milwaukee Police

    Today in class we were discussing the issue with the black male in Milwaukee who was shot and killed by police due to his "lack of following there instruction." From the way how some people were talking, it actually sounded like they were blaming the police for excessive use of deadly force. I think this is absolutely ridiculous! The blame here is NOT to be put on the Milwaukee Police in the least, the blame is to be put directly on that individual. He was warned numerous times by the police, 1. To put his hands in view so that they could see them 2. To exit the vehicle 3. And to shut off the engine. They even broke out a window in attempt to get this individual to exit his car. He repeatedly refused and exhausted every choice/option he was given! And then he attempts to speed off recklessly (putting other peoples lives at stake). That was completely uncalled for! I feel the police handled this situation very appropriately and had justifiable use for using there weapons!

    ryan -- if this is the same case that i saw in last night's news, chief jones was apologizing to the victim's family that his officers had violated departmental policies and procedures. the case is still under investigation. what do you think?



    Lindsay Weinstein wrote on Thursday, March 6th:
    On Walker

    I agree with Walker in that we should focus more on the context of crimes rather than specific groups or minorities. It is unfair to make assumptions and create stereotypes about certain minorities when there is no evidence that one produces a significant amount of crime over another. African Americans as well as other minority groups are often targeted and racially profiled with no actual facts to justify why. In the meantime, I find it ironic that the majority of America's cold blooded killers that come to mind like John Wayne Gacy, Ted Bundy, and Jeffrey Dahmer, all happen to be white.

    lindsay -- good point on Walker's discussion of the contextual approach. an interesting observation on this list of killers.

    On xxxday, January xxth, xxx wrote:
    On xxx

    xxx

    xxx -- xxx

    xxx wrote on xxxday, January xxth:
    On xxx

    xxx

    xxx -- xxx



    From CRMJ/SOCA 352: Law and Social Change

    On Monday, March 3rd, Amanda Boyd wrote:
    On peacemaking criminology

    My thought on Peacemaking criminology is that it sounds like a good idea, but do you think that it's actually realistic? The chances of putting the U.S. Government and Bin Laden and his people in the same room to talk things over aren't very good. Maybe Peacemaking criminology could work on rational people, but people like the terrorists from 9/11 are willing to kill themselves because of their extreme hatred for the U.S. I didn't think the examples in the book were very good. The examples were of children in a school and in a household. I think it would be hard to get it to work at a political level.

    amanda --- how about restorative justice as an example of peacemaking criminology? does that work?

    On Thursday, March 6th, Heidi Schneider wrote:
    On peacemaking criminology

    This is in response to your response to Amanda Boyd about peacemaking crim. and restoritive justice. I have read about and am currently studying restoritive justice. I feel like it works great in the setting and exsamples used in the book such as school or work or home but when you are dealing with people who have completely opposite views on life, culture and relgion you may be cuaseing more of a problem. To have restoritive justice you first need to admit there is a problem which is not the case right now with leaders in Iraq and US.

    heidi --- good! maybe others who are taking or have taken restorative justice will join in this discussion.



    On Monday, March 3rd, Kenyette Austin wrote:
    On "The End of the Nightstick"

    I think that people will have different perspectives of the police because of the different communities that we live in and everyone has not experienced or been around police brutality

    kenyette -- your point is well taken. i'm hoping to cover the concept of "illocutionary discourse" in this class soon.

    On Monday, March 3rd Krista Lindemann wrote:
    On "The End of the Nightstick"

    In response to the movie we saw this afternoon in class, I was unaware of such torture that was occuring. I thought the only things happening were beatings and verbal abuse. The system of torture using the electrodes really surprised me. I don't think the police departments should consider their officers right in every situation. I think they need to start questioning them some more and taking what the offender says seriously too. Like one man in the movie said "they will believe the cops over me because they are the cops."

    krista -- want to research police brutality?

    On Monday, March 3rd, Anel Garza wrote:
    On "The End of the Nightstick"

    I REALLY ENJOYED WATCHING THAT MOVIE TODAY. IT'S JUST SAD THAT ALL THOSE PEOPLE HAD TO BE TREATED LIKE THAT AND STILL THEY HAD NO JUSTICE. IT TOOK ALL THOSE OTHER PEOPLE TO COME TOGETHER AND STICK TOGETHER TO CONVICT THIS MAN WHO OBVIOUSLY HARMED AND PUT AWAY A LOT OF INNOCENT PEOPLE. HE WAS OBVIOUSLY CORRUPT AND ITS HARD TO BELIEVE NO ONE DID ANYTHING RIGHT AWAY!

    anel -- i wonder how many cases have gone unnoticed/unrecognized.

    On Tuesday, March 4th, Kia Lor wrote:
    On "The End of the Nightstick"

    After watching the video in Law and Social Change (352) class, I read the Monday Newspaper, and saw something about the police killed a 21-year-old man named Justin Fields early Sunday in Milwaukee. The officer said that he fired because he thougth Justin would hit him iwth the car. And at the bottom of the Newspaper, it stated that Milwaukee police killed 4 people last year. -3 man were killed according to the police, they tried to hit the police with a car. -The 4th man was killed in the driveway of his house after leading police on a 10-mile chase.

    kia -- remind me to do current events in class tomorrow. this is a good comparison between what we're discussing in class and current events.

    On Tuesday, March 4th, Veronica Ramirez wrote:
    On "The End of the Nightstick"

    I thought it was interesting how the media focused on these matters. Police brutality and corruption against civilians seemed to be something that is rarely heard of in certain areas and not publicized that much. However when it came to cops being harmed it seemed to be all over the news updates.

    veronica -- good observation! wasn't that an interesting contrast?



    On Thursday, March 6th, Marquan Crawford wrote:
    On "The Racial Preference Licensing Act"

    I was just e-mailing you about how i felt about the discussion we had in class about RPLA thing i think that it would be real bad idea because people would abuse it and most of all i think that it is a way of allowing segragation and that my oppinion is dumb because i love all people no matter what type of color they are. thank you

    marquan -- derrick bell does give us something to think about, doesn't he? but he does suggest that if someone doesn't buy the license, they can be punished with a hefty fine. wouldn't that be deterrence enough? you are entitled to voice your opinion. and your opinion is NOT dumb!

    On Thursday, March 6th, Heidi Schneider wrote:
    On "The Racial Preference Licensing Act"

    Today I was trying to figure out what would be a better system then taht of Derrick Bells RPLA. I think that we would have a hard time not being prejudice or discrimitory if we see the person we are dealing with. Maybe have extensive applications or phone interviews to help keep the prejudice out of getting a job that way the people who are most qualifified would recieve the postions not bases on race. Also I did some research on Bell and found his email address. I emailed him to get a better understanding of his goals when thinking about this act. I was surprised to see he is a black man. I didn't think a black man would have this train of thought!

    heidi -- why are you surprised that he's african-american with this idea? let me know what derrick bell's response is.

    Dear Ms. Schneider: You should get a sense of the story's meaning when reading the discussion with Geneva that follows the story. Basically, the hope for gain or the fear of loss is a far better motivant for non-discriminatory conduct than laws requiring such conduct. For example, housing discrimination even today remains widespread even though there are federal and state laws prohibiting it. The same is true of employment discrimination. But there is far less bias in public facilities like restaurants and hotels because the owners recognize that it is more profitable to serve blacks and other people of color than to try and turn them away. Sincerely, Derrick Bell

    On Friday, March 7th, Nicole Jacobson wrote:
    On "The Racial Preference Licensing Act"

    I thought the article was a good idea to read it kind of gave me a prespective I never really thought about. If we were to go through with some thing like this it is like we are setting ourselves back hundreds of years but then there is the aspect that at least we would know where we stand. It is kind of a lose lose situation how ever you look at it though.

    nicole -- yes, he does give us a lot to think about. i think this is a good "thinking" piece.