Link to What's New This Week UWP Commentary on Recent Lectures:Week of April 27, 2003

Dear Habermas Logo and Link to Site Index A Justice Site



UWP Commentary from Lectures - Week of April 27, 2003

Mirror Sites:
CSUDH - Habermas - UWP - Archives
Practice Module on This File

California State University, Dominguez Hills
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Soka University Japan - Transcend Art and Peace
Created: September 6, 2002
Latest Update: May 2, 2003

E-Mail Icon jeannecurran@habermas.org
takata@uwp.edu

Site Teaching Modules UWP Commentary on Recent Lectures:
Week of April 27, 2003

Site Copyright: Jeanne Curran and Susan R. Takata and Individual Authors, September 2002.
"Fair use" encouraged.

* * * * *
Comments grouped by course.
Subject of comment in green.
susan's commentaries in bright blue.

Template:

  • Student Name:


  • All UWP Classes

    On Friday, May 2, 2003, Kimberly With wrote:
    On teaching/learning model

    I really enjoyed the type of classroom environment that you created for students to learn in. It was nice to listen and work with other members of the class. I feel like you take more from it, than just sitting and listening to one person talk. Just wanted to say class was fun!! This was a class i liked coming to everyday.

    kimberly -- thank you for the feedback! i'm glad that you enjoyed the class.



    From CRMJ/SOCA 363: Corrections

    On Monday, April 28, 2003, Krista Lindemann wrote:
    On juvenile boot camps

    In response to our discussion about boot camps, I was wondering who regulates them? Is it the department of corrections, or is it independently run?

    krista -- good question. want to find out?

    On Tuesday, April 29, 2003, Wayne Berry wrote:
    On juvenile boot camps

    i just want to comment on boot camps i am for them to provide the structure lacking in the life of a juvenile.There is a negative to every program. If we concentrate on the negative, we can not go forward in any program.

    wayne -- i agree that we need to be positive and to move forward but on the other hand,the horrendous stories coming out of some of the boot camps are frightening, wouldn' t you agree?



    On Wednesday, Arpil 30, 2003, Tracy Blauser wrote:
    On the death penalty

    Quite fequently in class people bring up-well if something happended to you, you would want that person put to death. That is turning the debate into an emotional arguement. Shouldn't we think with logic, not emotion. Emotions are easily swayed. I don't disagree if something happened to me I wouldn't want the perpertrator to die, but this is an emotion-revenge, retribution. Do I think the state should have that right-NO. Emotions should be set aside to have any kind of qualitive debate.

    tracy -- the death penalty is a very "hot" topic and emotions do sometimes factor in for some. your point is well taken.

    On Wednesday, April 30, 2003, Kelly Kroll wrote:
    On the death penalty

    In regards to today's class discussion on the death penalty, I think DNA evidence should be required to impose the death penalty and should be provided by the state for every death penalty case to make sure the defendant is guilty.

    kelly -- that sounds like a good idea, but who will pay for this? why.

    On xxxday, January xx, 2003, xxx wrote:
    On xxx

    xxx

    xxx -- xxx



    From CRMJ/SOCA 365: Race, Crime and Law

    On Monday, April 28th, Heidi Schneider wrote:
    On the documentary, "Requiem for Frank Lee Smith"

    Although the DNA set the prisoners free it did not erase the 20+ years they spent behind bars. I would assume that after 20+ years they have become insitutionalized which means that even though they are "free" they must still live in the shadow of their time spent in prison, it must be very hard for them to re-adjust and move on with their lives.

    heidi -- that's a good observation about institutionalization!

    On Monday, April 28th, Krista Lindemann wrote:
    On the documentary, "Requiem for Frank Lee Smith"

    In reaction to the movie we watched in class, I was surprised by the attorneys comment about Frank Lee Smiths death. They had forgotten that he was a human being with basic needs, like water. I was surprised to hear them say that they were glad the cancer had killed him rather than capital punishment. Just goes to show that often times, criminals are not looked at as humans, rather criminals who need to be removed from society!

    krista -- yes, doesn't it make you wonder why people let themselves be documented saying things like that?

    Lindsay Weinstein wrote on Tuesday, April 29th:
    On the documentary, "Requiem for Frank Lee Smith"

    I enjoyed the video that we watched in class on Frank Lee Smith and Eddy Lee Mosely. It was sad to see that Smith was charged with the crimes that Mosely actually committed and all the while they said in the video that no one cared because it was "black on black" crimes. I was shocked to find out that regardless of the fact that Smith was found to be innocent, they said he would still remain in prison even if he hadn't passed away, due to violation of his parole. I think that this is just one of the numerous cover-ups the system makes to avoid furthur embarrassment for its mistakes.

    lindsay -- what do you think Fellman and Kennedy's reaction would be to this case? why.

    Wayne Berry wrote on Tuesday, April 29th:
    On the documentary, "Requiem for Frank Lee Smith"

    In the documentary we saw in class, I saw what would be an obvios political maneuver. The DA had already gotten a conviction. Why would he want to pursue it anymore. I think we talked about this before on the death penality with DNA available.

    wayne -- yes, i understand your point, and we have discussed the DNA issue earlier. what do you think fellman and kennedy might say about this case?

    Nicole Powers wrote on Wednesday, April 30th:
    On the documentary, "Requiem for Frank Lee Smith"

    The movie that we watched was very discouraging. I was very sad with the outcome. Especially the fact that the Sheriff's department would not only appologize or admitt fault but said he would have been put in prison anyway because he had a knife on him. This is a prime example of why we have overcrowding of our prisons and over representation of African American males.

    Pleschette Robinson wrote on Wednesday, April 30th:
    On the documentary, "Requiem for Frank Lee Smith"

    I enjoyed the film in race crime, law, but I was very disappointed when frank lee smith stayed in prison for 25 years, for a crime that he did not commit. I thought that the would have been wrong if they we're to keep him in prison even though they was going to have to let him go. I think that he served his time, even though he violated his parole. He was in their for nothing, and it's sad how the system works with witnesses not knowing that these people are telling the truth. They should be absolutely sure if the offender is to get this type of sentence, the evidence should be strong.

    nicole and pleschette -- what might fellman, kennedy, and walker say about this case? why.

    Jessie DuBois wrote on Wednesday, April 30th:
    On the documentary, "Requiem for Frank Lee Smith"

    I Just wanted to email that I really enjoyed the video and it really does a good job of showing a real life mistake that can be made with real people being effected. It's not simply us talking in class or in society about how it does happen, it is actually showing us an example.

    jessie -- yes, it is an excellent illustration of what happens in "practice." but then it makes me wonder how many other frank lee smiths are there out there.



    On xxxday, January xxth, xxx wrote:
    On xxx

    xxx

    xxx -- xxx

    xxx wrote on xxxday, January xxth:
    On xxx

    xxx

    xxx -- xxx



    From CRMJ/SOCA 352: Law and Social Change

    On Monday, April 28th, Veronica Ramirez wrote:
    On reactions to "Race and Racism in the 90s"

    You know I thought that the video in class made a good point regarding what we see on T.V. is how we perceive others we do not normally associate with. Like the young man thinking all white people live their lives like the Brady Bunch. Also for foreigners who come into this country to work and open up businesses. Who will they be looking out for more when they are looking for potential thieves?. For example the Korean woman who shot and killed the 15yr. old girl. I believe that what we see in the media is what many of us believe in without ever questioning the truth behind it.

    veronica --- yes, the power of the media to shape our thoughts. that's why i'm teaching a new course this fall called "media, crime and criminal justice."

    On Monday, April 28th , Molly Ertl wrote:
    On On reactions to "Race and Racism in the 90s"

    Today's movie made me think about how people make race an issue when it really isn't/shouldn't be one. If you, as a student, work on campus, you have to go to this group/teamwork workshop each semester. Last fall, when i went we had a guest speaker, infact it was a member of the facalty. He took four of us and used us as an example in his speech. Two of us were black and two were white. In his story the two blacks were slacking off on the project while the two whites picked up the slack. He asked us what was wrong with the situation. We said nothing because anyone would pick up the slack since it was a grade. None of us said black and white. None of us thought it was a race issue in his mind he thought that it was. that the blacks slacked off because they were black. i dont see that as an issue, a lot of times people use race when it shouldn't be used.

    molly -- your point is well taken. when should race be an issue? why.

    On Tuesday, April 29th , Kathryn Brown wrote:
    On reactions to "Race and Racism in the 90s"

    I wanted to mention about how in the movie one guy said to change something you have to change your mind first. I agree with that so much. Nothing will change in society unless the people change.

    kathryn -- how do we begin to change?

    On Wednesday, April 30th, Anel Garza wrote:
    On reactions to "Race and Racism in the 90s"

    I really enjoyed that film we watched in class the other day. Even though it was an older film, it consisted of issues we still face today. I would also like to mention that I liked the part where that guy realized that all white families weren't like the Brady Bunch family. I thought that that was interesting, that was what he thought about white families until he actually lived next to one. Only to see that we all have the same issues and it's not all as nice as it looks on tv.

    anel -- does make you wonder about the power of the media, doesn' t it?

    On Wednesday, April 30th, Heidi Schneider wrote:
    On reactions to "Race and Racism in the 90s"

    About the film on Monday it was intresting to see each person's take on the 90's one thing we have to look at is even though we still have racism, we have come a long way from the 50's. I think they should have a film showing how things are better too not just how things are still bad, if we continue to focus on the negitive things will not get better but if we look at all the changes we HAVE made then we will have hope for the future.

    heidi -- good point! any suggestions of what i should show next time i teach this course?

    On Wednesday, April 30th, Ashley Bellingham wrote:
    On reactions to "Race and Racism in the 90s"

    I thought it was ironic in the video we watched the other day, when they were interviewing people in New York about Bush and the Persian Gulf. I think its really funny that that is still completely relevant today, dealing with the new Bush...

    ashley -- good observation. i noticed that too, and wondered.



    On Wednesday, April 30th, Amanda Boyd wrote:
    On my favorite theory

    I think that my favorite theory is prophetic justice. This theory just pretty much says that it's up to us to attain social justice by treating each other with common respect and abiding by simple morals and values that we should have. I think I like this idea just because I think that common courtesy and mutual respect for other human beings are seriously lacking nowadays. People seem to be a little more self-involved these days.

    amanda -- good idea. maybe others will joint the commentary sharing their favorite theory!

    On Wednesday, April 30th, James Spiller wrote:
    On my favorite theory

    The theory that makes the most sense to me is peacemaking-criminology. I think that if people would sit down and talk about the fears, problems, and concerns that each group has, things might change over time. The theory that made the least sense to me was the anarchist-criminology. If all social control was taken away, there would be chaos. Also, what constituted harm to me might not be harm to the other person, so the idea of everyone doing their own thing, and society taking care of itself,in my opinion, would not work.

    james -- the scary part about peacemaking crim is the need to get beyond the anger and that could be pretty volatile. what do you think?

    On Thursday, May 1st , Ashley Bellingham wrote:
    On the "worst" theory

    I have been thinking a lot about theories and their relevance etc. I have decided that I think the "worst" least likely, whatever one is peacemaking. I think that it is just impossible that the world will even acheive a state of law where it can run on trust between people.

    ashley -- think about what pepinsky said about needing to get beyond the anger before being able to sit down and talk to your adversary? how difficult is it to get to this point? it's an interesting theory.



    On Thursday, May 1st , Veronica Ramirez wrote:
    On the animal story

    I just wanted to comment on the little story about the different animals. I thought it had a pretty good message. Which is that we are all unique individuals who have special abilities. And although we should be united as one, we should not try to be like others so much that we lose our own individuality. I believe our differences can be a good thing, depending on how you look at them.

    veronica -- yes, let's celebrate the differences!

    On Friday, May 2nd , Nicole Jacobson wrote:
    On the "fragile future"

    I think that this last conclusion chapter was kind of a eye opener. I mean it seems that what we do at home really affects what happens in the future. It seems that what is really important is what we teach at school should really be pushed in the homes to because even with the juvenile system trying to correct these mistakes once they learn something kids have a hard time letting go. I think that we really need to work on these kind of issues more than some things.

    nicole -- your point is well taken.