Link to What's New This Week UWP Commentary on Recent Lectures:Week of October 13, 2002

Dear Habermas Logo and Link to Site Index A Justice Site



UWP Commentary from Lectures - Week of October 13, 2002

Mirror Sites:
CSUDH - Habermas - UWP - Archives
Practice Module on This File

California State University, Dominguez Hills
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Soka University Japan - Transcend Art and Peace
Created: September 6, 2002
Latest Update: October 17, 2002

E-Mail Icon jeannecurran@habermas.org
takata@uwp.edu

Site Teaching Modules UWP Commentary on Recent Lectures:
Week of October 13, 2002

Site Copyright: Jeanne Curran and Susan R. Takata and Individual Authors, September 2002.
"Fair use" encouraged.

* * * * *
Comments grouped by course.
Subject of comment in green.
susan's commentaries in bright blue. Template:

  • Student Name: CRMJ/SOCA 233 - Criminology, CRMJ/SOCA 363 Corrections, CRMJ/SOCA 365 Race, Crime, Law



    For All UWP classes:

    On Thursday, October 17, 2002, MIchelle Sims wrote:
    On RYOC site visit

    Today I wemt on the RYOC site visit. I thought it was very nteresting. I was surprised to see how much freedom they had.

    michelle -- you might want to do a debriefing on this site visit? but for which class will you want to count it for?

    On Thursday, Ocotber 17, 2002, Erin Arneson wrote:
    On RYOC site visit

    Wow that trip was really something amazing. At first i was really afraid to be around the inmates and they were just wondering around with us. I thought all it would take would be one attitude snap and one of us could get hurt. But after awhile I strangely got comfortable. It really was an experience to remember. To hear that young man talk about how reahibilitation has helped him coincides with our classes and how we always discuss if it is working. i guess the answer can be yes now. Its really nice to hear that the rehibilitaion that is supposed to work is working..

    erin and april - be sure to do a debriefing using the uwp short form. submit it in hard copy. the link is on my class page.

    On Thursday, October 17, 2002, Merranda Houston wrote:
    On RYOC site visit

    I just wanted to say that having to wear the hats of both a vistor and a student of a current inmate in RYOC today was an eye opening experince to me. I remember the reactions of many of the inmates as they were constiently reminded of their offender status. One inmate made the comment that he was being treated like a cage goriila for public display and entertainment and another did not want us to go in his cell and told the officer that he had rights and that he did not want to be housed around like he was in a muesuem . I guess I never though about it that way and I can totally see where they were coming from.

    On Thursday, October 17, 2002, Krista Lindemann wrote:
    On RYOC site visit

    I was at the field trip to the RYOC faciltity this morning. I found this extremely amazing. I have never been to a jail before, and to see this was such an eye-opener. I really enjoyed the experienc and would love to take another field trip similar to this. I was wondering if there was some sort of creative measure you can suggest to relate to this field trip. Can I do a review of what I learned on the field trip and what interested me, or what???

    On Thursday, October 17, 2002, Nick Fucile wrote:
    On RYOC site visit

    I thought that the tour of the Youth Center was great. I see how people my age are living and the path they chose is unbelievable. The way they have to live in their cells is crazy. One thing that I learned is that I am going home and they have to stay there.

    merranda krista, and nick -- certainly a good example of the perspective of the Other. and all of you -- be sure to do a debriefing for this site visit.



    From CRMJ/SOCA 233: Criminology

    On Monday, October 14, 2002, Krista Lindemann wrote:
    On the concentric zone theory

    In response to our lecture about the concentric zone thoery, I think crime in these zones has a lot to do with the racial and ethnic zones, and also population. If you were to drive from the suburbs of chicago and eventually drive into downtown, you would pass through many different ethnic enclaves. These ethnic enclaves help form the severity of crime. Also, as one student pointed out in class, population has a lot to do with it as well. Where there are more people, there will obviously be more crime. It is only natural.

    krista -- do you think this theory still holds true today in Chicago? why

    On Monday, October 14, 2002, Nick Contreras wrote:
    On the concentric zone theory

    Today in class we discussed the concentric zone theory, and how it might relate to our city. I live in RAcine, but what you'd call the suburbs. I agree in that the most crime occurs in the "inner city", being Racine St, Memorial Dr, etc, yet we're not completely safe where I live either. Crime still does occur, maybe not to the extent that it does on Racine St, but smaller crimes, like vandalism, or petty theft, but there's also different kinds of crimes by me, ones that don't include gangs, and guns, or even domestic disbutes. Maybe the crimes aren't the same, or on the same level, but they still happen everywhere.

    nick -- a good example of applying the concentric zone theory.

    On Monday, October 14, 2002, Kelly Kroll wrote:
    On the concentric zone theory

    I was thinking about the concentric zone model and thinking about how many more factors play into the "location" of crime. According to the model, the most crime occurs in the economic center, but downtown would have a higher population than the suburbs, so by pure number of crimes, there should be more crime committed there. Also, if you think about crimes like, for example, an underage drinking party...if it occurred downtown, there are more people around to report it vs. the suburbs where people are more spaced out and don't always know what their neighbors are doing. Were factors like population size considered in the making of the concentric zone model?

    kelly -- i think it was factored in. want to double check to make sure?

    On Thursday, October 17, 2002, Jeff Galley wrote:
    On the concentric zone theory

    I believe the concentric zone model is still accurate in out present day because this model focuses on crime in high populated areas such as the center of the model. However, it doesn't state that crime doesn't exist in the outer rings or less populated areas, it's just doesn't occur quite as often. Crime is everywhere, but is more significant in the core or rural areas than the outer rings or suburbs.

    jeff -- can you think of a present-day city that this theory best applies to? why.



    On Monday, October 14, 2002, Heidi Schneider wrote:
    On the Chicago School

    I think the reason most crimes might be committed in the inner city is due to neighborhood instability.. people are in and out and they don't get to know or care about neighbors... This is also a way that Communitiy policing lacks in those societies becuase neighbors don't look out for each other which can lead to lack of c.p.

    heidi - social disorganization was what the Chicago School theorists were talking about.



    On Monday, October 14, 2002, Sheila Simonsen wrote:
    On culture conflict

    Today in class we talked about cultural conflict. I understand we all were different hats, and at times the different roles in our life collide and one must take precedence over the other, but I'm not certain how to apply this to criminal behavior. Is it just that the criminal too has different roles he must play?

    sheila -- sellin talked about conduct norms and different groups have different conduct norms which can come into conflict with each other. could be a kid who goes to church on sunday but on saturday nights, hangs out with some troubled kids. conduct norms are in conflict. he was mainly talking about culture conflict. i used the example of my racial/ethnic background and the three generations and then expanded the explanation to role conflicts we experience



    On Wednesday, October 16, 2002, Dennis Penza wrote:
    On Police Work

    I looked up on menstuff.org the rankings of the most dangerous jobs in the U.S. Law Enforcement came in #11 behind farm occupations. The top 3 included #1-fishers #2-timber cutters #3-airplane pilots. The relative risk, which is compared to the average job(1.0), for law enforcement is 3.4. This basically means that these officers are 3.4x more likely to be killed.

    dennis -- do you find this ranking surprising at all? why.



    On xxxday, September xx2002, xxxx wrote:
    xxx

    xxx

    xxx



  • From CRMJ/SOCA 363: Corrections

    Caroline Zires wrote on Monday, October 14, 2002:
    On Prisoners and Prisons

    A lot of people in this class seem to be so cold and harsh with prisoner's. However I have the idea that these inmates aren't going anywhere. I don't see how some people can think-out of sight out of mind like you mentioned. Especially when they can soon be coming out of prison and they'll be walking next to us on the street. Our tax money goes to taking care of problems in other countries and some people don't want to spend it on our own.

    caroline -- like the documentary, "hard time" said, most of these inmates are "walking time bombs" and most of them will eventually be released. makes you wonder, doesn't it?

    Julia Starr wrote on Monday, October 14, 2002:
    On Prisoners and Prisons

    just wanted to comment about class discussions today. i briefly said something at the end but i dont know if i made my point. i totally agree that if you do the crime you do the time. but, how do we evaluate how much time someone should spend in prison? is it purely based on the crime committed or not?

    some people that go to prison have no idea what is in store for them. others know and dont care because its possibly a better life than what they are leading on the outside. they know (more often than not) that they will one day be released. so where do we draw the line?

    julia -- your point is well taken. i'll put this up on the commentaries page in hopes that others in the class will respond. yes, there are other factors to consider besides the crime one has committed.



    Charity Briggs-Harris wrote on Wednesday, October 16, 2002:
    On the documentary, "Prison Gangs and Racism"

    The Man that worte the letter to Ted Copple, Had a point. If he' s not getting food shouldn't the public care? Shouldn't something be done. I dont think that just because he committed a crime he should be tearted unjustly. He doing the time for the crime that he committed. True that they are Ciminals but they are still HUMAN!

    charity -- you raise many important points. do prisoners have rights? if so, what rights do they have? want to research this issue?

    Veronica Ramirez wrote on Wednesday, October 16, 2002:
    On documentary, "Prison Gangs and Racism"

    As I was watching the film on gangs in prison, it reminded me of a movie called "Bound By Honor (Blood In Blood Out.)" It goes into visual detail of what the prisoners in the film were talking about. I just thought that if you ever wanted to see a movie that dealt with it this would be a good one. Although it focuses more on the Mexican gangs in prison it also goes into the other races as well. Also what their life was like when they were on the outside.

    veronica -- thanks for the recommendation.

    Tony Ciardo wrote on Wednesday, October 16, 2002:
    On documentary, "Prison Gangs and Racism"

    I just wanted to say that the video was very interesting about the gangs that went on in prisons. I would have thought that the Italian mafia would be another gang related in the prison, but I guess he didn't say anything about that. I think the corrections department has to go back through the practice to the policy and theory to make up a new method for inmates to live in solitary confinement. they are getting worse as they are in the max. security area. I know that they are there for one reason but the officers of the prison have to help them with rehabilitation. If they don't then they will be released in society to commit crime once again.

    tony -- what can be done? why.

    Queina Staszewski wrote on Wednesday, October 16, 2002:
    On documentary, "Prison Gangs and Racism"

    Hi Susan this is Queina I'm in your Race,Crime,Law class. The film today was really interesting. It just makes me think that it seems and becomes more and more true that those who go into prison. They come out worse than when they went it. That is only because once they go into prison they become institutionalized. So therefore they have to adapt to their surroundings. So when they come out they have to also have to adapt to the outside all over again. But I really enjoyed the film today.

    queina -- what would fellman and/or kennedy say about this documentary? why.



    From CRMJ/SOCA 365: Race, Crime and Law

    On Monday, October 14, 2002, Chrissy Knox wrote:
    On reactions to DWB video

    I really found the video Driving while Black interesting. However I was very angred when the one chief of police was talking. He made it sound like no matter what color you were aside from white you were suspicious. I think that his last comment said it all. "If I was walking down the street in asia or africa, I would be suspious. I think that he should have gotten his point across in a different way.

    On Monday, October 14, 2002, Sarah Rekenthaler wrote:
    On reactions to DWB video

    I just wanted to comment on the movie we watched today.(Driving while black) I totally agree that there is racial profiling, and police officers who say there isn't are naive. I come from a small town (Lake Geneva) where the African American population is very small. I know for a fact that there is racial profiling there. It's every where you go.

    On Monday, October 14, 2002, Anel Garza wrote:
    On reactions to DWB video

    I really enjoyed watching that video in class, I think that this is a topic that needs to be addressed. I'm glad that MTV takes the time to address these issues as well as other ones because they are affecting people. I would like to say that I think that police officers have too much power to be able to pull who ever over for no reason. They should have a probable cause and be able to prove it. When someone who gets pulled over asks the reason for which they are pulled over the officer better have an answer. We have to answer their questions they least they can do is answer ours too. I've have been pulled over for no reason before and I think that if it's for no reason then it isn't necessary to waistee both of our times!

    chrissy,sarah and anel -- i'm sure that we will be talking more about this video on wednesday as it relates to the discussion questions due.

    On Monday, October 14, 2002, Tim Mostowik wrote:
    On Reactions to DWB video

    when we watched the movie on driving while black i thought it was cool to be able to see both sides of one of the stories. one from the chief and one from the victim. it was interesting to see how their stories matched up and how they percieved things differently.

    tim -- the perspective of the Other, right?

    On Monday, October 14, 2002, Kim Dexter wrote:
    On Reactions to DWB video

    The video we saw today really upset me. The one victim said that "suspicious to police means black." Then shortly after that a high ranking (white) law enforcement officer confirmed that statement by saying "If I'm a white person walking in a black country or an asian country, I'm likely to look suspicious." That was a very ignorant statement. Why does "looking different" have to equal "looking suspicious?" Maybe I'm wrong, but how is this a "white country"? Isn't the minority population larger than the majority (white) population?

    kim -- you are correct -- some parts of this country the minority is the majority.



    On Monday, October 14, 2002, Mike Rosandich wrote:
    On Brown Eyes and Blue Eyes

    I just wanted to make it clear that Oprah did not come up with that idea. I'm talking about the whole brown eyed blue eyed thing. Although Oprah is respectable she should not get the credit for such an amazing study in psychology. It was a school teacher by the name of Jane Elliot. The experiment was orginally done on third grade kids to show them why discrimination was wrong. The kids were split into blue eyed brown eyed groups. The blue eyed kids were told they were better, more superior, and got special privelages throughout the day. This caused them to actually believe they were better. The blue eyed kids actually started demeaning brown eyed kids. The interesting thing is the next day in school they switched it and the same thing happened, just opposite. It just goes to show that discrimination is an idea not a real thing. If someone is given power they will take it, even if they're only in third grade.

    mike -- yes, i mentioned this experiment in class and that it wasn't an original idea from Oprah. You said that "discrimination is an idea not a real thing." W.I. Thomas said, "If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences." It is the perception rather than the reality that matters. what do you think?



    On xxxday, September xx2002, xxxx wrote:
    xxx

    xxx

    xxx



    On xxxday, September xx, 2002, xxx wrote:
    xxx

    xxx

    xxx