Link to What's New This Week UWP Commentary on Recent Lectures:Week of October 27, 2002

Dear Habermas Logo and Link to Site Index A Justice Site



UWP Commentary from Lectures - Week of October 27, 2002

Mirror Sites:
CSUDH - Habermas - UWP - Archives
Practice Module on This File

California State University, Dominguez Hills
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Soka University Japan - Transcend Art and Peace
Created: September 6, 2002
Latest Update: November 2, 2002

E-Mail Icon jeannecurran@habermas.org
takata@uwp.edu

Site Teaching Modules UWP Commentary on Recent Lectures:
Week of October 27, 2002

Site Copyright: Jeanne Curran and Susan R. Takata and Individual Authors, September 2002.
"Fair use" encouraged.

* * * * *
Comments grouped by course.
Subject of comment in green.
susan's commentaries in bright blue. Template:

  • Student Name: CRMJ/SOCA 233 - Criminology, CRMJ/SOCA 363 Corrections, CRMJ/SOCA 365 Race, Crime, Law



    For All UWP classes:

    On Thursday, October 31, 2002, Joshua Johnson wrote:
    On the transfer of learning

    just wanted to let you know that what was put up was well written and very well put.

    joshua -- then did this help clarify a few things?

    On xxxday, September xx, 2002, xxx wrote:
    xxx

    xxx

    xxx

    On xxxday, September xx, 2002, xxx wrote:
    xxx

    xxx

    xxx



    From CRMJ/SOCA 233: Criminology

    On Sunday, October 27, 2002, Chelsey Kis wrote:
    On capital punishment

    I was reading the book Capital Punishment in the United States and was reading the financial part. I found out that capital trials are six times more costly than other murder trials. A capital trial costs $116,700.00 more than any other murder trial. What is messed up about this is that they murdered someone and tax payers have to shell out all this money.

    chelsey -- does make one wonder, doesn' t it?



    On Monday, October 28, 2002, Anne Braun wrote:
    On gangs

    I was trying to find some information on the internet today on gangs. One site I found called, TroubledTeen.com, listed different crisis prevention topics. When I looked under gangs, it listed four major causes: racism, poverty, media influences, and lack of support systems. I believe that many kids have a lack of support system. I kind of think this ties in with what we were talking about today in class, about the loss of respect for authority. I think kids need to have their parents there to help them with some of their decisions when they're young and to discipline them. Otherwise they may begin to feel like they can do whatever they want or feel like no one cares, so they mess up.

    anne -- might want to try researching in the library because there's been lots of studies on gangs. also, check out this week's class page for recommended readings on this subject.

    On Monday, October 28th, DeAira Kennemer wrote:
    On delinquency and drift

    i think that for young kids that this theory is very true. If that they are at home they are not going to be bad but when they might get around certain friends or cousins then they act terrible. so i think they tend to drift in and out

    deaira -- how young would this apply to? how old would you consider too old, then? why.

    On Monday, October 28th, Merranda Houston wrote:
    On parents in prison

    I found this website and related it to the class discussion that we had in class today. A student in the class said that she felt that parents needed to be more involved and needed to simply know what and where their kids were at all times of the day, well according to this ariticle it is not always that easy considering that many children grow up in broken homes. A friend wants you to see this! Parents in Prison

    merranda -- thanks! i''ve added it to the lecture commentaries for others to take a look at this article. what do you think of these statistics?

    On Monday, October 28, 2002, Nick Galvan wrote:
    On social control theory

    Hello. This is NIck Galvan. I'm in your criminology class that meets on M,W,F, 10 to 10:50. TOday we discussed social contorl theories. I happen to find Hirschi's social bond theory the most intresting. I think that one way that teens turn out ot be juvenile delinquents could be by association with friends. A great example would be my brother and I. We were brough tup the same way, however i turned out to be not as "bad" if you will of a kid, while my brother who hung out with friends who got into trouble all the time at school, got into fights, etc, turned out to be a little bit more the reble. I tended to hang out with the kids who auctually got along wiht others, and such. It just gave me someting to think about. What do you tink?

    nick -- are there any other factors to consider? why or why not?

    On Wednesday, October 30, 2002, Ariel Kaye wrote:
    On social control theory

    Out of all the theories we have covered so far I agree mostly with this concept. That conformity is the key to preventing deviance.

    ariel -- then, how does this theory translate into policies and practices? why?

    On Wednesday, October 30, 2002, Heidi Schneider wrote:
    On social control theory

    Out of all the theroy's we have studied so far I think social control theory does the best job explaining criminal activity. I think the best aspect of this theory is the fact that it looks at the individual and the setting not just one or the other. Social control theory also prevals beucase it looks at the ties bettween the two and not just how they influence each other.

    heidi -- you raise many good points. i wonder if at the end of the semester, if this theory will still be your pick.

    On Wednesday, October 30, 2002, Jeff Galley wrote:
    On social bond theory

    Travis Horshi's social bond theory best explains delinquent behavior today. My reasoning is this, people are somehow socialized to the norms and values of society and deviance occurs when the socialization bonds breaks down. I find this very credible and it closely follows Merton's anomie theory. Anomie involves a disjunction or lack of integration between cultural goals and the legitimate means for attaining them. When an individual's social bond breaks down with the rest of society, he/she will then experience anomie.

    jeff -- an interesting theoretical synthesis!



  • On xxxday, September xx, 2002, xxx wrote:
    xxx

    xxx

    xxx



    From CRMJ/SOCA 363: Corrections

    Jackie Marolt wrote on Sunday, October 27, 2002:
    On documentary, "Presumed Innocent"

    The way that the people were treated on the movie that we watched on Friday was crazy. People haven't even been convicted of crimes and they are being treated like criminals. I also didn't understand why some of the people were there for 2 years. What happened to their rights for a speedy trial?

    jackie -- good question. want to research the issue of "speedy trial?"

    Jennifer Kruesel wrote on Sunday, October 27, 2002:
    On documentary, "Presumed Innocent"

    The movie that we watched in class on Friday was very interesting. One thing that I could not believe was how filthy their living conditions were. WHen they showed the pictures of what some of their rooms looked like,it was awful. I don't know how anyone could live like that. Even outside their cells were dirty. That has to be hard to live like that.

    jennifer -- it's sometimes easy to forget that these are pretrial detainees. they haven't been found guilty or innocent, yet. want to research this topicl?



    Julia Starr wrote on Monday, October 28, 2002:
    On jails and prisons

    hi. in my group today we really were able to name off quite a few diff/sim b/w jails and prisons. and we also came to the consensus that most people dont even know there is a difference (in terms of interchangablity); which is sad that we as a society are not educated enough to know that; especially when our tax $$ is paying for them!

    julia -- good groupwork!!



    Anel Garza wrote on Wednesday, October 20, 2002:
    On jail vs. probation

    Regarding the question asked in class, 6 months in jail or 2 years on probation. I would say that I'd rather get it over with and go 6 months to jail just because as mentioned in class anything you do can affect you and get you locked up anyway. If someone dislikes you they can easily get you into trouble without going out of their way. Plus if your trying to move on with your life and it was something that isn't inteded to happed again they just get it out of your way and move on that way you dont have to be worried all the time.

    April Puryear wrote on Wednesday, October 20, 2002:
    On jail vs. probation

    Todays class discussion question regarding probation or jail was very interesting. Many factors will need to be thought about. Like how well do you know yourself, the circumstances why you are in this situation, your home/community surroundings, etc. In probation you will definetly loose alot of freedom, even though you are out in your own community. But for some, jail might be more of a stable home life for them (ex: meals and a warm place to sleep).

    anel and april -- an interesting dilemma, isn' t it? there are no "right or wrong" answers to this question. btw, april -- which one would you select and why?

    Nikki Rosa wrote on Friday, November 1, 2002:
    On probation and parole

    After this dicussion I began to think about parole and probation in a way I never have before. I have known many people on probation and I have seem them run around the system. And in all this time I have never seen them get caught. I think probation is an easy way out of jail time because you can say yeah you can't do this and you have all these rules but where there is a will there is a way and people can find a way out of it

    nikki - if a person violates his/her terms of parole or probation condition, he/she can be revoked, though. what do you think?



    On Friday, November 1, 2002, Caroline Zires wrote:
    On Friday's case scenarios

    I wanted to comment on the scenario we read about the girls that we discussed in groups. I found it interesting that the majority of the class agreed on a large fine and some counceling. Unsually the class is all over the place with ideas. I do feel it is important to punish the girls so they learn their lesson. However sometimes I think people just make on time mistakes and we punish them so harshly that instead of turning them into better people, we push them down so far they can't get up.

    caroline -- your points and observations are well taken.

    On xxxday, September xx, 2002, xxx wrote:
    xxx

    xxx

    xxx



    From CRMJ/SOCA 365: Race, Crime and Law

    On Monday, October 28, 2002, Carrie Harmann wrote:
    On the composition of juries

    I believe that juries should be picked at random. No one should be able to eliminate any of them, that would be the only fair way I think. But, if we have to pick and choose I think it should be based on more than race.

    carrie -- why? what would fellman say? what would kennedy say? why.

    On Monday, October 28, 2002, Tim Mostowik wrote:
    On the composition of juries

    i was for the jury selection act but i was in the group opposed to it so it was a little hard for me to come up with facts against it, but the group was able to come up with some strong solid facts against it. one fact was that jusry selction is suppose to be randomly picked and if you support this the jury would be picked by race and other factors and not randomly.

    tim -- now, what is your position? what would fellman say? why.

    On Monday, October 28, 2002, Rashad Al-Uqdah wrote:
    On the composition of juries

    I do like this Jury Selection Act, Think that this will cut down the Death Pealty, with blacks. I think that most black get the Death Pealty, because most of the juries are white,

    rashad -- maybe this is a topic that you'd like to research further? .

    On Wednesday, October 30, 2002, Angie Siemers wrote:
    On the composition of juries

    I read rashads comment about most blacks getting death row because the jury was all white. If there were more black people on the jury then they would feel sympathy for the person being tried? that isn't right, is it? I mean this is what he is saying right?

    angie -- i've added this to lecture commentaries to see if rashad responds. you do raise some important questions.

    On Tuesday, October 29, 2002, Julia Starr wrote:
    On the composition of juries

    as i am sitting here thinking about that discussion we had in class on mon. the more i oppose it. even though the reality of the matter is that it does happen, there needs to be a more specific step taken in correcting it. that act was too general and confusing, and could be looked at in many different ways by many different people.

    julia -- what might be an alternative and why?

    On Wednesday, October 30, 2002, Chrissy Knox wrote:
    On the composition of juries

    I really thought that the article on the Proposed Model for Racial Reality was interesting. However, I think that in theory it may sound like a good idea, but in practice it would never work. The policy talks about not exclulding on the basis of race and ethnicity, which is not true, because in this circumstance, the selection would not be random anymore. People would be chosen by race and ethnicity in order to meet the quota for the jury. Also, section 3 suggests that in the event this type of jury is not selected, there would be a complete reversal in the verdict. So a guilty man could be sent back to the streets or vise versa. I do not agree with this policy.

    chrissy -- you bring up many strong oints to your argument. but what do you think might work? why?



    On Monday, October 28, 2002, Kim Dexter wrote:
    On the Oneonta case

    I found the Oneonta case we talked about in class today where the police attempted to locate and question every black male (or non-white) in town in connection with a crime committed against an elderly woman, whose description of the perpetrator consisted of "young black male with possible cut on his hand." It is Ricky Brown v, City of Oneonta, 221 F.39 329. I found it on Lexis-Nexis. The Supreme Court in this case held that the actions of law enforcement officers did not in any way violate the Equal Protection Clause. Fascinating! It is hard to believe this just happened a few years a ago.

    kim -- good! thanks. i'm putting it on the lecture commentaries so that others can read about this case.



    On Tuesday, October 29, 2002, Rick Hribar wrote:
    On Fellman

    it seems to me that one of the most important aspects of mutuality and fellmanism is respect for others and an understanding that everyone must be treated equally.

    rick -- yes! excellent point. a rather simple idea but a very important one!

    On Wednesday, October 30, 2002, Veronica Ramirez wrote:
    On Fellman

    Only if everyone respects one another. If we respect eachother and beliefs or what we believe in, then we should be able to balance competition and yet work together.

    veronica -- yes, i agree with you. respect is a critical element.



    On Friday, November 1, 2002, Caroline Zires wrote:
    On reactions to "Farewell to Manzanar"

    I just wanted to comment on the mantzanar video we watched. it reminded me of the situation with the arab americans. i wonder what would happen if we had more terrorist attacks, what the u.s. would do. would things ever get that extreme again? it brought a smile to my face that in all that mess the japanese americans came together and tried to make the camp into their own little city. it's funny that you never hear to much about this, it's a part of u.s. history that seems to be kept quiet.

    caroline -- you raise some good observations. why do you think aspect of American history has been kept "quiet?"

    On Friday, November 1, 2002, Tim Mostowik wrote:
    On reactions to "Farewell to Manzanar"

    i thought the movie was pretty interesting. is that what really happened to japanese people when pearl harbor was hit?

    tim -- yes, this really happened. "farewell to manzanar" is probably one of the best portrayals of what happened to the Japanese Americans just after Pearl Harbor.

    On Friday, November 1, 2002, Jessie Miller wrote:
    On reactions to "Farewell to Manzanar"

    I thought that the video that you showed us in class today was interesting. The most interesting part that I saw was that they even put officers from the military in the camps.\

    jessie -- good observation. there were many contradictions and conflicts that occurred with the internment of Japanese Americans.



    On xxxday, September xx, 2002, xxx wrote:
    xxx

    xxx

    xxx