Dr. Linda Groff
BEH 490/01-Spring Semesters
California State University, Dominguez Hills
Carson, CA 90747 USA
EVOLUTION--OUR HUMAN FUTURE:
RETURNING TO WHOLENESS
EVOLUTIONARY FUTURES HOME PAGE
COURSE PROPOSAL FOR CSUDH (BEH 490 SR. SEMINAR)
AND FOR ANTIOCH COLLEGE, SUMMER BLOC PROGRAM
- Laszlo, Ervin, Ed. The New Evolutionary Paradigm. 1991. ISBN 2-88124-375-4 $62. cloth. Note: Laszlo is Rector, Forum for Advanced Evolutionary Studies, the Research Institute of the European Academy.
- Hubbard, Barbara Marx. The Evolutionary Journey.
- Wilber, Ken. Sex, Ecology, Spirituality: The Spirit of Evolution. Vol 1 of 3 projected Vols. 1995. HC $40.
- Elgin, Duane. The Awakening Earth: Exploring the Evolution of Human Culture and Consciousness. New York: William Morrow & Co., 1993.
Recommended Book Series:
The World Futures: General Evolution Studies Book Series, Senior Editor, Ervin Laszlo, Rector, Forum for Advanced Evolutionary Studies, the Research Institute of the European Academy. ISBN: 1043-9331. This series provides a venue for monographs and multiauthored book-length works that are dedicated to the study of general patterns of change and development in nature and society. With a focus on the emerging field of evolutionary theory, these works, either empirical or practical, deal with the evolutionary perspective innate in the change from the contemporary world to its forseeable future.
- Vol. 1: Nature and History: The Evolutionary Approach for Social Scientists. By Ignazio Masulli, University of Bologna, Italy, 1990. $52.
- Vol. 2: The Evolutionary Paradigm. Edited by Ervin Laszlo, The Vienna Academy for Global and Evolutionary Studies, Austria, 1991. $62.
- Vol. 3: The Age of Bifurcation: Understanding the Changing World. Edited by Ervin Laszlo, The Vienna Academy for Global and Evolutionary Studies, Austria, 1991. $55.
- Vol. 4: Cooperation: Beyond the Age of Competition. Edited by Allan Combs, University of North Carolina at Asheville, USA, 1992. $55.
- Vol. 5: The Evolution of Cognitive Maps: New Paradigms for the 21st Century. Edited by Ervin Laszlo, The Vienna Academy for Global and Evolutionary Studies, Austria, and Ignazio Masulli, University of Bologna, Italy, with Robert Artigiani, U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland, USA, and Vilmos Csanyi, Eotvos Lorand University, Budapest, Hungary, 1993. $75.
- Vol. 6: The Evolving Mind. Ben Goertzel, Assistant Professor of Mathematics at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 1993. $35.
- Vol. 7: Chaos and the Evolving Ecological Universe. Sandy J. Goerner, President of the Society for Chaos Theory in Psychology and the Social and Life Sciences, 1994. $43.
- Vol. 8: Constrainsts and Possibilities: The Evolution of Knowledge and Knowledge of Evolution. Mauro Ceruti, Professor of Philosophy, University of Bergamo, Italy, 1994. Translated from the Italian by Alfonso Montouri. $40.
- Vision 2020: Reordering Chaos for Global Survival. Ervin Laszlo, Rector, Forum for Advanced Evolutionary Studies, the Research Institute of the European Academy, 1994. $12.95. ISBN: 2-88124-612-5
Other Recommended Books:
- Aurobindo, Sri. The Future Evolution of Man: The Divine Life Upon Earth. Compiled with a Summary and Notes by P. B. Saint-Hilaire. Third Edition, Pondicherry, India: Sri Aurobindo Ashram, 1990. (pb) ISBN: 81-7058-219-9 First Edition 1963. Second Edition 1971.
- de Chardin, Teilhard. Building the Earth. Wilkes-Barre, PA: Dimension Books, 1965.
- de Chardin, Teilhard. The Phenomenon of Man. Introduction by Julian Huxley. New York: Harper & Row, 1959. (pb) ISBN: 0-06-090495-X
- Dewart, Leslie. Evolution and Consciousness: The Role of Speech in the Origin and Development of Human Nature. Buffalo, Toronto, London: University of Toronto Press, 1989. (hc) ISBN: 0-8020-2690-7
Houston, Jean. The Possible Human: A Course in Enhancing Your Physical, Mental, and Creative Abilities. Los Angeles: J. P. Tarcher, Inc., 1982. (pb) ISBN: 0-87477-218-4 (pb)
Hubbard, Barbara Marx. The Evolutionary Journey: A Personal Guide to a Positive Future. San Francisco: Evolutionary Press of the Institute for the Study of Conscious Evolution, 1982. (pb)
- Jantsch, Erich. The Self-Organizing Universe: Scientific and Human Implications of the Emerging Paradigm of Evolution. Systems Science and World Order Library. New York: Pergamon Press, 1980. (pb) ISBN: 0-08-024311-8
- Jantsch, Erich. Design for Evolution: Self-Organization and Planning in the Life of Human Systems. New York: George Braziller, 1975. ISBN: 0-8076-0758-4 (pb)
- Jantsch, Erich, and Waddington, Conrad H. Evolution and Consciousness: Human Systems in Transition. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., 1976. ISBN: 0-201-03439-5 (pb)
- Jensen, U. J., and Harre, R. The Philosophy of Evolution. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1981. ISBN: 0-312-60670-2
- Maxwell, Mary. Human Evolution: A Philosophical Anthropology. New York: Columbia University Press, 1984. ISBN: 0-231-05946-9 (alk. paper) or ISBN: 0-231-05947-7 (pb)
- McWaters, Barry. Conscious Evolution: Personal and Planetary Transformation. San Francisco: Evolutionary Press of the Institute for the Study of Conscious Evolution, 1982. (pb) ISBN: 0-943408-00-8
Northe, Gail, Ed. God Is Evolution; Evolution Is God. Essays and Lectures from Message of the East, 1912-1961. Cohasset, MA: Vedanta Centre Publishers, and La Crescenta, CA: Ananda Ashrama, 1993. ISBN: 0-911564-40-3
- Ornstein, Robert. The Evolution of Consciousness: Of Darwin, Freud, and Cranial Fire--The Origins of the Way We Think. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1991. (pb) ISBN: 0-671-79224-5
- Prigogine, Ilya. From Being To Becoming: Time and Complexity in the Physical Sciences. San Francisco, CA: W. H. Freeman and Co., 1980. (pb) ISBN: 0-7167-1108-7
- Russell, Peter. The Awakening Earth: The Global Brain. London: Arkana, 1982. (pb) ISBN: 1-85063-101-8
- Russell, Peter. The Global Brain: Speculations on the Evolutionary Leap to Planetary Consciousness. Los Angeles: J. P. Tarcher, Inc., 1983. (pb) ISBN: 0-87477-248-6
- Russell, Peter. The White Hole in Time: Our Future Evolution and the Meaning of Now. Harper San Francisco, 1992. ISBN: 0-06-250774-5
- Russell, Peter. The Global Brain Awakens: Our Next Evolutionary Leap. Foreword by Marilyn Ferguson. Palo Alto, CA, USA: Global Brain Inc., 1995. hc ISBN: 1-885261-05-5
- Satprem. Evolution II. Translated from the French by Michel Danino. Paris: Institut de Recherches Evolutives, and Mysore, Mira Aditi, 1992. (pb) ISBN: 2-902776-30-6, and 81-85137-00-5
- Smuts, Jan Christiaan. Holism and Evolution. With a New Introduction by Edmund W. Sinnott. New York: The Viking Press, 1961, 1926.
- Wilber, Ken. Brief History of Everything. 1995.
- Wilber, Ken. The Spectrum of Consciousness. Second Ed., Wheaton, Ill.: Quest Books, 1993. First Edition 1977. (pb) ISBN: 0-8356-0695-3 (pb)
- Wilber, Ken. Up From Eden: A Transpersonal View of Human Evolution. Garden City, N.Y.: Anchor Press/Doubleday, 1981. ISBN: 0-385-17363-6
- Wilber, Ken. The Atman Project. Wheaton, Ill.: The Theosophical Publishing House, 1980.
- White, Ralph.
- World Futures: The Journal of General Evolution. Published in cooperation with the General Evolution Research Group. Edited by Ervin Laszlo. Journal is dedicated to the study of general patterns of change and development in nature as well as society. Included in the journal are articles, short communications and book reviews relating to evolutionary processes in all fields of science, with special attention to multidisciplinary approaches.
PART I: MODELS AND EXAMPLES OF THE PROCESSES OF CHANGE TRANSFORMING OUR WORLD--Including Models and Examples of Evolutionary Change
PART II: HUMANS AS PRODUCTS OF FOUR TYPES OF EVOLUTION --Which All Work Through Us as Human Beings, and Influence Who We Are:
- Physical Evolution of the Universe: "We are all starstuff" or products of the physical building blocs of the universe.
- Biological Evolution of Species: Our Animal Nature
- Cultural Evolution of Technology, Societal Institutions, and Ideas: Our Socially-Learned Nature
- Evolution of Consciousness: Our Spiritual Nature
- We are all multilevelled, complex beings.
- Through time, humans evolve and become influenced more by each subsequent type of evolution.
- The last type of conscious evolution involves the emergence of self-awareness, which can be used to begin transcending some of the earlier types of deterministic evolutionary factors and influences.
PART III: STUDENT SHOWCASE (ON WWW) AND ORAL REPORTS ON RESEARCH PAPER TOPICS:
COURSE REQUIREMENTS: READINGS AND ASSIGNMENTS
CONTACT LINDA GROFF, GLOBAL OPTIONS, VIA E-MAIL FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Also contact Co-Directors, Global Options, if you have important information that you think should be added to this Home Page, or other related Home Pages. Thank you.
Return to beginning of BEH 490: Evolutionary Futures Home Page
Return to Global Options Home Page
This Home Page Last Updated May 1, 1996