Advancement to Candidacy
Advancement to Candidacy recognizes that the student has demonstrated the ability to sustain a level of scholarly competency commensurate with successful completion of degree requirements. Upon advancement to candidacy, the student is cleared for the final stages of the graduate program which, in addition to any remaining course work, will include the thesis, project or comprehensive examination.
Requirements for Advancement to Candidacy:
- A minimum of 15 resident units
- Classified Standing
- An Approved Program of Study
- Successful Completion of the GWAR
- A Cumulative GPA of 3.0 in all courses taken as a graduate student
- No grade lower than a "C" in the degree program
Advancement to Candidacy must be certified by the department on the Advisement and Advancement to Candidacy form and submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records prior to the final semester, prior to the semester of the comprehensive exams, and prior to enrolling in a thesis or project.