CSUDH Bannercsudh_banner index Page Search Page CSUDH Home Page

College of Professional Studies
Location: Welch Hall
Phone: 1- 800-344-5484
Fax: 310-516-3542

For more information related to the College, please contact Dean's Office : 310-243 -2046


Student Services

Main Page l Advising l Dates to Remember l Contact us l Probation l FAQ l GPA Calculator l Helpful Links





Major Questions

Q         I got a “C-“in one of my major courses.  Do I have to take it again?
A         Yes, all Bachelor’s programs within the College of Health & Human Services require students to obtain a grade of “C” or better in all major courses.  As an undergraduate student, you can Repeat and Cancel courses for up to 18 units in the courses in which you received a grade less than “C-“and replace your previous grade with your new grade. 
If you are in a CPS Graduate program, you need a “B” or better in all courses.  The Repeat and Cancel policy does not apply to Master’s or Post-Bachelor’s courses.

Q         How often should I see an academic advisor?
A         As an undergraduate matriculated student, you may visit your academic advisor when deemed suitable which requires setting up an appointment, please refer to the Advising link for the appropriate contact information.  Please note students are required to see an advisor at the 60 and 90 unit marks.  Graduate students should contact their faculty advisor with any specific inquiries.
For Nursing students: you have the option of requesting a telephone appointment.

Q         When do I meet with an advisor vs. faculty advisor?
A         You may meet with your faculty advisor by setting up an appointment with them directly.  Also, if you have specific questions regarding your major beyond the scope of the Student Services Center, you will be referred to you faculty advisor. 

Q         How many units can I transfer from my community college?
A         Students may transfer up to 70 units from a community college.

Graduation Questions

Q         How & when do I file for graduation?
A         As an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply for graduation after the completion of almost all degree requirements and 90 units. The Application for Award of Degree should be taken to the Cashier with the payment during the announced filing periods.  You will need to schedule an appointment with your advisor prior to the graduation advisement form filing deadline.

As a graduate student, you are eligible to apply for graduation after the completion of at least 21 units and advancement to classified standing.

For Nursing students:
Your Graduation Advisement Form/ Program of Study is available on the Nursing forms  weblink on the School of Nursing website, please fax in your Program of Study and mail in your application for graduation with payment to Office of Records and Registration.

For more information regarding graduation and commencement procedures, please visit the Graduation Commencement website: www.csudh.edu/commencement
The following are the graduation application deadlines:

For Bachelor’s Degree Candidates:

If you anticipate graduation:

You must file the application during the preceding

You must file an advisement form no later than:

Fall semester

February 15th- April 15th

May 15th

Spring semester

April 15th- September 15th

October 15th

Summer semester

November 15th- February 15th

March  15th

For Master’s Degree Candidates:

If you anticipate graduation:

You must file the application during the preceding

You must file an advisement form no later than:

Fall semester

March 15th- May 15th

June 15th

Spring semester

October 15th- December 15th

January 15th

Summer semester

February 15th- March 15th

April 15th

Q         How do I know if I am eligible to graduate?
A         Please refer to your program plan to determine your eligibility and clear holds, if any. 

General Education Questions

Q         What is G.E. certification and why do I need it?
A         Accredited community colleges and public four-year colleges may certify all or part of your general education requirements. Transfer students with complete certification of CSU general education breadth requirements are not held to additional lower division courses within the general education pattern. Transfer students should request that their college “certify” their general education.  An additional nine semester units of upper division General Education courses (Area F and G) must be completed at CSUDH.
To inquire if a lower division GE course is transferable, go to www.assist.org.

Q         I got my AA/AS degree, am I G.E. certified?
A         Not necessarily, by earning your Associates Degree, you have completed a lot of the requirements but not all of them.  It is suggested that you speak to a transfer counselor at your community college prior to requesting your official transcripts. You will need to request GE certification; it is not automatically done when requesting official transcripts.

Q         What is the GWE?
A         It is the Graduation Writing Exam.  The GWE is an option to satisfy the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR).  You must earn a score of 8 or better to pass the exam.  If you do not receive a score of 8 or better, you are given one more attempt to pass.  You are given one hour to take the exam.  For more information, please visit the Testing Office website: www.csudh.edu/testing.  Other alternatives include (English 350: Advanced Composition) or (IDS 397 and IDS 398).  It is recommended to enroll in ENG 350 if you want and/or need writing experience.  This requirement must be satisfied around the 72 unit mark. 
For Nursing students: You have the option of taking the GWE on campus or with a proctor in your area.  If you opt to take the GWE with a proctor, refer to the Nursing forms weblink for instructions; you will need to submit an Examination Request/Proctor Agreement form prior to your respective deadline.

Registration Questions

Q         When do I register for classes?
A         Please refer to Toroweb for your date and time of registration.  The dates for registration are posted in the Class Schedule. 

Q         When is the last day to drop?
A         The last day to drop with full refund would be the day prior to the semester beginning.  The last day to drop without a record of enrollment is at the end of the first three weeks of the semester.  After the third week of the semester, a Serious and Compelling Reason is required to drop courses, a “W” grade (Withdrawal) is assigned to your student record which does not affect your GPA.  If you do not officially withdraw, a “W” grade will be assigned to your student record which does affect your GPA; a “WU” grade is equivalent to an F grade.  Please note, it is the student’s responsibility to notify your instructors if you need to drop your courses. 

Q         I can’t drop my class on ToroWeb.  Is there any way I can still drop?
A         After the third week of classes, a student is required to drop with a Change of Program (ADD/DROP) form.  Students need to obtain the instructor’s signature at this point. 
For Nursing students: At this point you will need to fax in the Change of Program (ADD/DROP) form which is available on the School of Nursing forms weblink; signatures will be obtained for you.   

Please note, Nursing students are distance learners; thus, this process is executed by the Student Services Center.  All other majors need to obtain instructor’s signatures.

Q         How/when do I get a refund? How much?
A         Refunds will be processed approximately three weeks after the third week of the semester for students who drop units prior to that respective date.  Refunds after the third week of the semester will be processed weekly.  All refunds are made in accordance with the Title V of the California Administrative Code; refer to the Prorata Table in the class schedule for refund amounts which are according to when you dropped your courses.   

Q         What do I do when I have a Hold?
A         If you have an Advising hold or an Academic Probation hold, you will need to set up an appointment with your major department.  If you have another type of hold, please contact the appropriate department.  For example, if you have a GWE hold, you will need to contact the Testing office, except for those Nursing students who opt to take the GWE with a proctor (refer to the School of Nursing website).