Preparing for Graduation
- A minimum of 30 semester units with either Curriculum A or Curriculum B (see details of each curriculum).
- Not less than 21 semester units completed in the program. A maximum of 9 semester units of applicable graduate work may be transferred into the program (see Transfer Units) with the approval of the Coordinator. A combination of quarter and semester units may be used to satisfy the total unit requirement. Transfer rate: 1-1/2 quarter units equals 1 semester unit.
- An overall grade point average of 3.0 or better (see details on Grading).
- Approval of Advancement to Candidacy forms and examination, which you submit as soon as you complete 16 units in the program (see Advancement to Candidacy for information and instructions).
- All degree requirements must be met within a five year period. Course work must be completed while the student is in continuous attendance (see details on Continuous Attendance).
- Completion of the Graduate Writing Examination (GWE) with a score of 8 or better.
- Filing the Application for Graduation.
- Approval of the Final Thesis/Project by both the HUX faculty committee and the CSUDH Office of Graduate Studies.
It is the student's responsibility to obtain from the Humanities External Degree Office a Graduation Application for the Master's Degree in time to file with the Graduation Unit during that term's Graduation Application Filing Period (see the HUX Calendar). A check or money order for $65 must accompany the application to cover the diploma fee (no credit card orders accepted).
If all degree requirements are not completed during the trimester of the application, the student must request and file a new application showing the change in graduation date. There is an additional $10 fee for change of graduation date processing.
All graduating Humanities External Degree students are eligible and welcome to attend Commencement services, held each year in late May. Please let the HUX office know if you plan to attend.
CSUDH hosts a separate graduate student commencement, including a master's degree hooding ceremony, on the Thursday night before the undergraduate graduation on Friday. See the HUX Calendar for the date of the next Commencement. Information about the upcoming commencement is available at: www.csudh.edu/commencement. If you have questions regarding a specific ceremony, you can call the Office of Ceremonies and Events: (310) 243-2666 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may place an order with the University Bookstore to rent the graduation regalia. Orders may be paid at the time the order is placed. The bookstore accepts cash, checks, Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express. Prices subject to change. If you are interested in purchasing a cap, gown, hood, or other regalia, please contact the bookstore directly at 310-243-3789.