Requirements of the Middle School Option: Master of Arts in the Teaching of Mathematics
The Middle School Option of the Master of Arts in Teaching Mathematics degree requires completion of 30 units of course work and one of the following:
- A passing score on a comprehensive written examination. After completion of all course work or during the last semester of course work, the MAT degree candidate may apply to take the comprehensive examination. There is only one retake opportunity.
- Completion of an approved thesis or creative project (MAT 599 - 6 units). Students must have the approval of a faculty thesis advisor prior to enrolling for thesis credit.
Required Courses (30 units)
- MAT 500 Mathematics Education Research Design and Statistics (3)
- MAT 501 Foundations of Geometric Thinking (3 units)
- MAT 505 Foundations of Mathematical Structures (3 units)
- MAT 506 Foundations of the Rational Numbers (3 units)
- MAT 515 Topics in Advanced Finite Mathematics (3)
- MAT 522 Foundations of Algebraic Thinking (3)
- MAT 543 Advanced Problem Solving for Teachers (3)
- MAT 545 History of Mathematics Education (3)
- MAT 557 Research in Mathematics Education I (3)
- MAT 559 Research in Mathematics Education II (3)
Course Descriptions and Sample Syllabi