Calendar MAT 211 sec 01 Fall 2012
Chapter and section numbers refer to our textbook Essential Calculus by James Stewart.
Most homework is on the WeBWorK server http://www.csudh.edu/webwork2/ You'll find assignments and due dates there.
- 1st Week, Aug. 27-31
- 10.1 Three-Dimensional Coordinate Systems.
- 10.2 Vectors.
- 10.3 The Dot Product.
- Paper-and-pencil homework 10.3 #39, 40 in the textbook. Write up solutions to these problems and turn them in Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2012.
- Additional homework:
On a separate piece of paper write a few sentences
describing why you are taking this course and what you
expect to get out of it. If your answer is "I'm taking it
because it's required" then explain, as well as you can,
why this course is required. There is no right or wrong
answer here, you will get full credit if you make an honest
effort to answer the question. Due Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2012.
- 2nd Week, Sept. 3-7
- Mon. Sept. 3 Labor Day Holiday. Class
does not meet.
- 10.4 The Cross Product.
- 10.5 Equations of Lines and Planes.
- 3rd Week, Sept. 10-14
- 10.6 Cylinders and Quadric Surfaces. Homework (on
paper): Do problems #9, 14, 25 in the textbook. Be sure to
nice, neat drawings that are large enough to be really
clear, at least half a page for each drawing. Axes should
be labeled, they should have scales, important points
should be marked, etc. Your drawings should look good! Hint
on #25: complete the square. Turn in this homework in class
- 10.7 Vector Functions and Space Curves.
- Sage notebooks: sec 10.6, sec 10.7
- 10.8 Arc Length and Curvature (except the part about
the normal and binormal vectors and osculating plane).
Notes on curvature
- 4th Week, Sept. 17-21
- 10.9 Motion in Space: Velocity and Acceleration (except
the part about Kepler's laws. Take a course in physics to
find out about Kepler.)
- 11.1 Functions of Several Variables.
- Sage notebook: sec 11.1
Map of Mt. Wilson, Ca. (also look up "contour map" on
- Test Friday Sept. 21 Solutions
- 5th Week, Sept. 24-28
- 11.2 Limits and Continuity. Plots from the lecture.
- 11.3 Partial Derivatives.
- 11.4 Tangent Planes and Linear Approximations.
- 6th Week, Oct. 1-5
- 11.5 The Chain Rule.
- The Implicit Function Theorem and the Inverse Function
- 11.6 Directional Derivatives and the Gradient
- Paper-and-pencil homework: Section 11.6 exercises #26, 28, 30, 40. Due Wendesday Oct. 10.
- Image for exercise 26
- Image for exercise 30
- 7th Week, Oct. 8-12
- 8th Week, Oct. 15-19
- Test PostPoned until next Monday Oct. 22.
- 11.8 Lagrange Multipliers (continued). Some examples on Sage
- 12.1 Double Integrals over Rectangles.
- 9th Week, Oct. 22-26
- Test Monday Oct 22. Solutions
- 12.2 Double Integrals over General Regions.
- 12.3 Double Integrals in Polar Coordinates.
- 10th Week, Oct. 29 - Nov. 2
- 12.4 Applications of Double Integrals.
- 12.5 Triple Integrals.
- 11th Week, Nov. 5-9
- 12.6 Triple Integrals in Cylindrical Coordinates.
- 12.7 Triple Integrals in Spherical Coordinates.
- (Skip this). 12.8 Change of Variables in Multiple Integrals.
- 12th Week, Nov. 12-16
- 13th Week, Nov. 19-23
- 13.3 The Fundamental Theorem for Line Integrals.
- 13.4 Green's Theorem.
- Friday Nov. 23 Thanksgiving Day
Holiday. Class does not meet.
- 14th Week, Nov. 26-30
- 13.5 Curl and Divergence.
- 13.6 Parametric Surfaces and Their Areas.
- 13.7 Surface Integrals.
- 15th Week, Dec. 3-7
- 13.8 Stokes' Theorem.
- 13.9 The Divergence Theorem.
- Final Exams Week, Dec. 10-14