OSHA 5400 - Trainer Course in Maritime Safety (OSX 965)
This course is designed for personnel in the private sector interested in teaching the 10-and 30-hour maritime safety and health outreach program to their employees and other interested groups. Special emphasis is placed on those topics that are required in the 10-and 30-hour programs as well as on those that are the most hazardous, using OSHA standards as a guide. Course participants are briefed on effective instructional approaches and the effective use of visual aids and handouts. This course allows the students to become a trainer in the Outreach Program and to conduct 10- and 30-hour maritime classes in Shipyard Employment, Marine Terminals, and Longshoring and to issue cards to participants after verifying course completion. Laptop recommended.
Minimum contact hours: 26
- Two years of maritime industry experience and at least one of the following:
- Two years of occupational safety and health experience (with a broad focus) in any industry
- A degree in occupational safety and health from an accredited college or university
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) designation
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) designation
- Certified Marine Chemist (CMC) designation
- Certified Safety Health Manager (CSHM) designation
Note: Students in Course #5400 who wish to participate as authorized Outreach Trainers in the 10 and 30 Hour Maritime Outreach Program must successfully pass a written exam at the end of the course. Outreach trainers are required to attend Course #5402 at least four (4) years to maintain their trainer status.