PM 92-03


President Robert C. Detweiler


Policy on Incomplete Grade


A grade of “incomplete” may be assigned if a student is unable to complete a definable portion of course work.  An “incomplete” indicates that there is still a possibility of credit upon completion of future work.  The student must arrange with the instructor for completion of the required work.  If the instructor of record will be unavailable when the work is to be completed, department chair approval must be obtained before the instructor assigns a grade of “incomplete.”  This approval will indicate that the department has made provisions for assuring that the student’s work will be graded and that Change of Grade form will be submitted to the Office of the Registrar.


Normally, the student is responsible for applying for the grade of “incomplete” and for obtaining instructor approval for the assignment of this grade.  In exceptional circumstances, the assignment of the “incomplete” may be initiated by the instructor.  For each “incomplete” grade assigned, the instructor will complete a form in triplicate on which s/he will indicate:


(1)        The reason for granting the “incomplete;”


(2)        The amount or nature of the work to be completed;


(3)        The date by which the student must complete the work—a date as early as

   possible, but in any case within one calendar year.


A final grade of “incomplete” may not be submitted by the instructor without the Request for Incomplete Grade form.  The student is responsible for contacting the instructor (or the department, in cases where the instructor is unavailable) regarding the provisions for completion of course work.  A definitive grade for the term is recorded when the work has been completed.  An “incomplete” grade cannot be removed by repeating the course.  The grade will be automatically recorded as an “F” or “NC” if the work is not completed and grade changed within a year.  Faculty who wish to extend the original time limit up to a maximum of one additional year may do so by filing the appropriate form with the Registrar.


It is the student’s responsibility to initiate a change of grade by requesting the instructor’s signature on a Change of Grade form and having the instructor submit the form to the Office of the Registrar within the time period allowed.