Advantages of the Television Arts Program at CSUDH
- Small class size (limited to 15 Students)
- Professional state-of-the-art Production Facilities (see our online Production Facility Tour)
- Hands-on, individualized, one-on-one instruction in all classes (see TV Alumni List)
- Produce and direct your own projects
- Full-time (24x7) access to TV Production Facilities (see our online Production Facility Tour)
- Award-winning (national and statewide) production program
- Demo Reel Portfolio on DVD for Industry Jobs
By the end of the program, each student will have written, produced, directed, and edited his or her own:
- Music Video
- Drama Production
- Documentary Program
- TV Commercial or PSA
- Videographic Production
These projects are then placed on a DVD for the student to use as a "demo reel" portfolio for job interviews in the industry.
(For a detailed Catalog Description of the Television Arts program, go to the University Catalog. Click on the latest Catalog and then click on the link to the "Digital Media Arts" Academic Program.
The Television Arts Program at CSUDH offers the following B.A. Degree major and Certificate in Television Arts, both designed as two-year programs:
- B.A. in Digital Media Arts (Television Arts Option) - 39 units
Certificate in Television Arts - 21 units
- 5 courses in the Digital Media Arts Core - 14 units
- 9 courses in Television Production Emphasis - 25 units
This program is designed for working professionals who already have a B.A. Degree and seek immediate training in television production.
- 7 courses in TV Production Emphasis (with no Digital Media Core)
(See the detailed Catalog Description and Course Schedule)
Television students at CSUDH have a long tradition of award-winning productions in national and statewide competitions
Students in documentary production have won back-to-back national awards in the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences’ (Emmy Awards) student competition
- Students in music video and public service programs routinely win or place in the finals every year in statewide competitions
The numerous awards our students have won for their productions, coupled with their high success rate of working in the industry, have established a reputation of high quality for our program among local professionals and educators in the field.
Industry employers report that they hire our graduates because they have marketable job skills, hands-on experience, and a professional orientation from courses and projects that emphasize quality and high standards. With Hollywood just 20 minutes from campus, our students find work as producers, writers, directors, editors, camera operators, and technicians in a variety of broadcast, corporate, and educational venues.
Alumni Success Stories
Alumni of the CSUDH Television Arts program have distinguished themselves in the industry. Read their stories.
Dr. George Vinovich
Dr. George Vinovich, MA, MS, Ph.D.
Professor & Chair, Digital Media Arts
Dr. Vinovich has been on the faculty of CSUDH since 1982. He founded the University Television degree program, created its curriculum, and designed the TV production facilities that support the program. In addition to teaching, he operates his own TV production company which produces documentary programs, promotional videos, and TV commercials for clients such as PBS, MTV, and local broadcast stations. He is the recipient of a national Telly Award for documentary production, a Communicator Award for promotional video, and a national C.A.S.E. Award for educational program.
"Nothing brings me more satisfaction than to see our students who come to the University with no 'connections' or 'other advantages' actually 'make it' as successful professionals in this highly competitive field. The fact that students from our program are hired over graduates from the 'elite' TV/Film schools in the area is perhaps the one accomplishment of which I am most proud. Over 90% of our TV graduates work in the industry after graduation."