Travel Policies & Procedures: Frequently Asked Questions

What are the maximum meal and lodging allowances?

For travel within the contiguous US, the Lodging and Meals and Incidentals Reimbursement Cap Chart summarizes the applicable reimbursement methods and the maximum rates authorized for lodging and meal and incidental expenses(M&IE) incurred while on travel status.

For international travel, federal per-diem rates for all locations can be found at https://www.gsa.gov/travel/plan-book/per-diem-rates.

Can I claim meal allowance for a one-day trip?

No. The meal allowance can only be claimed if the travel includes an overnight stay (supported by a lodging receipt).

When claiming mileage, do I measure from campus or from home?

Mileage may be claimed from the employee’s home to a common carrier terminal (airport, train station, etc.) if the travel occurs during an employee’s non-working hours or on regularly scheduled days off. Otherwise, the employee must claim either the mileage from home or from the CSUDH campus, whichever is less.

When opting to drive instead of fly, do I claim mileage?

If advance approval has been obtained, a traveler may claim surface transportation expenses even though air travel is the appropriate mode of transportation.  Reimbursement shall not exceed the cost of regular coach airfare plus transportation costs to and from the terminals.  Documentation demonstrating the cost of regular coach in effect at the time of travel should be included with the travel claim form.

Is there a maximum allowance for hotel costs?

Yes. The maximum is $275.00 per night, excluding tax.

What travel agency does the University use?

The University uses Away We Go Travel. Their phone number is (562) 690-3339.

What rental car agency does the University use?

Enterprise or National Car Rental. Contact the Travel desk at extension 3808 to obtain the CSUDH account number.

What is the mileage reimbursement rate?

Effective January 1, 2021, the standard mileage reimbursement rate is 56 cents per mile. The mileage reimbursement rate for 2020 travel was 57.5 cents per mile.

Will the University pay a conference registration fee directly?

Yes. Attach a copy of the registration form to the Travel Request Form and note the information on the form.

Is it necessary to submit a Travel Claim Form if the only expense is a direct payment of registration fees?

Yes, an expense claim must be submitted if any type of advance payment was issued.

Does the University offer a travel credit card to employees?

Yes, a Procurement credit card is available. Instructions for requesting a P-Card are available on the Procurement FAQ at https://www.csudh.edu/procurement/faq/.

Who can I contact with other travel-related questions?

Contact the Travel desk in Accounting Services at extension 3808.