Is an online degree for me?

Taking courses online isn't for everyone. A student has to be well-organized and disciplined to stay on top of their course work. Students need to plan ahead, to ensure their course work is completed along with everything else in their life.There are benefits to studying online: you can take classes at your convenience, and you don't have to fight traffic and find and pay for parking.

The best way to determine if online study is for you is to take a course. The Applied Studies program allows students to take courses before they are accepted into the program. Enroll in and complete a course before you apply. That way, you will know exactly what you are getting into.

To enroll in an Applied Studies course, call the registration office at 310-243-3741.

Will my degree say distance learning?

No, this is the same degree that students on campus receive. There is no mention of distance learning or extended education on the degree or your transcripts.

Do I ever have to come to the Dominguez Hills campus?

No, you can take all of the upper-division courses necessary to complete the 120 units required for the degree without ever coming to the campus.

Is Financial Aid available? Are students in this program eligible for Financial Aid?

Yes but not until they have applied and been accepted to the university. APS distance learning students are eligible for the same financial aid as on campus students with one exception. Distance learning students are not eligible for State University Grants. (see Financial Aid Homepage)

Do I need an AA or AS degree to be accepted into this program?

No. Students need to have earned a minimum of 60 lower division units, fulfilled the lower division general education requirement, have a 2.0 GPA in transferable units and be in good standing at the last college attended (see Transfer Students Website and CSUDH catalog).

How many units can I transfer into the Applied Studies program?

Students can transfer a maximum of 70 lower division transferable units from accredited community colleges. Students can also transfer upper division units earned at a 4 year college or university if the courses meet the requirements of the Applied Studies Program. Students will receive an evaluation of their courses after they are accepted into the program.

What can I do if I have not completed all of the lower division requirements?

You can take courses at your local community college. If that is not possible, many community colleges offer online courses. (See also Assist to find community college courses that transfer and fulfill CSU Dominguez Hills lower division general education requirements.)

How many units must I complete at CSU Dominguez Hills?

A minimum of 120 semester units is required for the bachelor's degree. A minimum of 40 semester units of upper division credit must be completed. To meet the residency requirement, a minimum of 30 semester units must be completed at CSUDH, of which 24 shall be earned in upper division courses and 12 upper division units shall be in the major (see CSUDH catalog).

How can I find out about the General Education requirements at CSUDH?

You can visit the University Advising Website at www.csudh.edu/uac, and click on "General Education Course Descriptions". After admission to the University, a formal evaluation is done of transferable courses to meet General Education requirements.

How are exams given?

Exams are conducted online. In some cases, students may be asked to find a proctor who will monitor the exam for the university.

How long does it take to graduate?

Generally speaking, a full-time student could expect to complete the program in as little as two years; a part-time student typically completes in a little over three years.

Is there a graduation ceremony?

Yes, students who have completed all the requirements for degree program can participate in the commencement ceremony which takes place on the campus of CSUDH during the month of May in each year. Students who are close to meeting graduation requirements, or currently have 90 units, should review Graduation: What Every Graduate Needs [pdf]. After reviewing all of the requirements for graduation, students should also contact the program advisor to make sure they have or are completing the major and minor requirements.

[Download Adobe Reader Free here]