Military Education/Training Credit | CSUDH CEIE | Carson, CA

Military Education/Training Credit

Students may be awarded up to 90 semester credits towards their undergraduate degrees using a combination of the following:

Transfer Credit

Maximum credit allowed from a community college is 70 units (upper division credit is not allowed). Maximum transfer credit allowed from a college/university is 90 units.

Military Training

CSUDH grants undergraduate degree credit for successful completion on non-collegiate instruction (military or civilian) appropriate to the baccalaureate that has been recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE). To be considered for this credit, students must submit official military transcripts to the major department for evaluation of all military training and coursework.

Military Service

A total of 6 semester units of lower division elective credit will be granted for one or more years of active military duty with an honorable discharge. Form DD 214 (copy of military separation) should be submitted to the office of Records and Admission at the time of application for admission.

Credit for Prior Learning

CSU Dominguez Hills grants up to 12 units of credit for learning, knowledge or skills-based experience that has been documented and evaluated according to campus policy. Students should be aware, however, that policies for earning credit for prior learning vary from campus to campus in the CSU.

Students who have acquired the equivalent of learning through prior life experience may apply for academic credit for this learning. Students must have completed 30 units in residence prior to evaluation of this prior learning. The Credit for Prior Learning program consists of two parts:

1. Preparation of a portfolio detailing the prior learning under the guidance of a faculty advisor using the course IDS 380 (1 unit, CR/NC grading).

2. Evaluation of the learning portfolio by appropriate faculty who will recommend the number of units of academic credit to be awarded. Students will then register for the approved number of units using the course IDS 382 (1-11 units, CR/NC grading).

Credit may be used as elective units, or on approval of the appropriate department chair, as part of the requirements for a major or minor. For further information concerning this program, please contact the University Advisement Center, (310) 243-3538.

Extension & Special Session Credits

Up to 24 semester credits of Extension and Special Session coursework taken through the College of Extended and International Education may be used to fulfill CSUDH residency, degree and major requirements.

Credits by Examination

College credit may be granted for successful completion of CLEP and Advanced Placement examinations. For more information, refer to the University Catalog's College Level Examination Program section under Baccalaureate Degrees and Undergraduate Studies.