General Education Questions

Please visit the University Advisement Center for more information.

Registration Questions

Please visit the Office of Admissions & Records for more information.

How & when do I file for graduation?

Bachelor degree candidates are encouraged to apply for graduation if they have earned at least 90 semester units or have less than 10 courses to complete. The following are the graduation application deadlines:

Degree Conferral TermRegular DeadlineLate Deadline
Fall SemesterJan 1 - July 1July 2 - September 15
Spring SemesterJune 1 - October 1October 2 - Last day of Fall semester
Summer SessionNovember 1 - February 1Feb 2 - April 15

Please visit the Graduation Information FAQ for more information.

What is the difference between graduation and commencement?

When you apply for graduation, you are letting us know you are planning to complete your degree by the end of the term you applied for. Once you have completed all requirements for your degree, you will be eligible to graduate and your diploma will be awarded. Commencement is the celebration of your graduation. There is a separate form you need to complete to participate in the ceremony. It is called “Commencement Participation”.

Please visit Commencement Information for more information.

I got a “C-“ in one of my major courses. Do I have to take it again?

Yes, all Bachelor degree programs in the College of Health, Human Services, and Nursing require students to obtain a grade of “C” or better in all major courses. As an undergraduate student, you can Repeat and Cancel up to 16 units in the courses in which you received a grade less than “C-“and replace your previous grade with your new grade. For more information, please visit the University Policies on Repeat and Cancel.

How often should I see an academic advisor?

It is recommended that you meet with an academic advisor regularly, especially when you complete 60 and 90 units respectively. Advisors in the College of Health, Human Services, and Nursing are available to meet as often as you need.

When do I meet with an advisor vs. faculty advisor?

You may meet with your faculty advisor for specific questions regarding your major beyond the scope of the CHHSN Advising, such as professional career, society, and fieldwork placements.

What do I do when I have an Advising Hold?

Some majors in our college receive a 60 and 90 unit advising hold. It is strongly advised that you meet with an advisor to remove the hold. Advising holds are there so that we can check your progress and check for anything that can potentially delay your graduation.

What is the GWAR?

The GWAR is the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement that all students must complete to graduate. One of the options to meet this requirements is the GWE which stands for Graduate Writing Exam.You must earn a score of 8 or better to pass the exam. If you do not receive a score of 8 or better, you are given one more attempt to pass.

Other alternatives to meeting the GWAR include English 350: Advanced Composition or IDS 397 and IDS 398)

Please visit the Testing Center for more information.

I have documents that need Department Chair and Dean’s Signature (such as Petition for Exception)? Where do I go?

Please submit all documents that need Department Chair and Dean’s signature to the Administrative Support Staff (see table below) from your department. You may however reach out to your major advisor for guidance in the process of the specific document/s. 

DepartmentAdministrative Support Staff Email
Child DevelopmentAngelica Cornejo cdevelopment@csudh.edu
Clinical Lab ScienceDiana Osejo dosejo@csudh.edu

Health Science

Diana Osejo

Human ServicesPamela Curtis hus@csudh.edu
KinesiologyYanet Suarez ysuarez@csudh.edu
School of NursingRonisha Peters sondepartment@csudh.edu
I have GAIN or Cal Works documents that need to be completed? What do I do?

You may email the form/s to your major academic advisor. Please allow up to a week for processing.