Fieldwork Clearance Requirements

Fieldwork Clearance Requirements

The following courses require fieldwork; all three have special requirements:

CDV 180 - Introduction to Observation and Assessment                                       
CDV 240 - Early Development and Curriculum
CDV 496 - Directed Field Experience *see Capstone Options page to apply

You must indicate the course you are applying for, your name, and Student ID. After the department confirms your eligibility, you will receive a permission number to enroll.

BEFORE registering for any of these courses, students need to submit evidence of the following two clearances to the department:

  1. Negative Tuberculosis (TB) clearance
    • A negative TB reading is valid for one year. In order to register for a fieldwork course, your negative TB reading must be valid through the end of the semester for which you are registering. If your clearance has expired or will expire during the time that you will be enrolled in any of the above courses, you will need to take the test again BEFORE you can enroll in the course.
  2. A valid Certificate of Clearance (or Child Development Permit)
    • The Certificate of Clearance and Child Development Permits are obtained through the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. The Certificate of Clearance or Child Development Permit must have been acquired within the last five years and must be valid until the end of the semester you are enrolling in a fieldwork course. For more information regarding the Child Development Permit, please see the Child Development Training Consortium website.
    • Obtaining clearance can take up to two to three months depending on CTC processing times. Your Certificate of Clearance or Child Development Permit will be valid for all courses requiring this clearance for up to 5 years. For example, if you obtain a Certificate of Clearance or Child Development Permit for CDV 180, it will be valid for CDV 240 and CDV 496 if these courses are completed within 5 years of the issue date.

These requirements are mandatory.

Submit Documents

Use the above link to submit documents. *You will not need a Dropbox account*

For instructions on how to obtain your TB, Live Scan and Certificate of Clearance, please follow the directions below. You can also download the instructions here [PDF].

TB/Live Scan/Certificate of Clearance Requirements for Child Development Majors

Step 1: Negative TB Test or Chest X-ray

A TB test can be completed at the Student Health Center or with your Primary Care Physician. You can schedule an appointment with the Student Health Center by calling (310) 243-3629. Before submitting a copy of your TB results to the Child Development department make a copy for your own records. In some cases, you may need to present this document to the site location where you will be conducting your observation/field work hours. Please make sure that your name is clearly visible on your TB Test document. A TB Test is only good for a year from the date that it was “read” or “administered”. If it expires before the end of the semester in which you are taking one of the above fieldwork courses, you must submit a new negative TB test BEFORE you can register for the course.

Step 2: Create an Educator Account with the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC)

If you have not already done so, you will need to create an Educator Account before you can complete the application for the Certificate of Clearance (COC). Creating this profile will allow you to check if you already have fingerprints on file with the CTC. Please view the CTC’s written instructions on how to create an Educator Account here.

Once you are on the CTC page click on “Register using the Create Educator Account” link. As soon as your profile is created, log out of the CTC page and immediately log back in. Look for the words “Fingerprint Status”:

If your “Fingerprint Status” reads, “Incomplete Action Required” you will have to complete Step 3: The Live Scan Process.

If your “Fingerprint Status” reads, “Complete No Action Required” you can skip to Step 4: Apply for your Certificate of Clearance

Step 3: Live Scan Process

In order to get a Certificate of Clearance (COC) through the state of California, you must complete the Live Scan process/Fingerprint-based background check. Live Scan is an inkless, electronic means of capturing fingerprints in a digitized format. Please note: Once fees have been applied, there are NO REFUNDS.

  1. Please access the online Live Scan form here and complete the student portion. You can also download the form here.
  2. Print the completed form and take to a Live Scan location with your valid photo ID. We have a Live Scan office on campus in Welch Hall 360. Please visit their website for more information; to request an appointment click here.
  3. Pay the fee: there is a $72 fee that pays for the Department of Justice and the FBI to review and register your information.
  4. Once you have been fingerprinted, request a copy of your Live Scan form from the Service Specialist and keep this form for your records.

Note: Forms of payment accepted include credit and/or debit card preferred. Cash, money order or cashier’s check also accepted.

Step 4: Apply for your Certificate of Clearance (COC)

Apply for the Certificate of Clearance (COC) on the California Commission Teacher Credentialing (CTC) website. Please view step-by-step instructions on how to apply for your clearance here.

Once you are on the CTC page, click on “Apply for Fingerprint Clearance (COC and ASCC)”

Note: The application processing fee is $50, but a $2.50 service charge fee will be added to all online transactions. The Clearance process is usually completed with 10 working days but can take up to three months.

Step 5: Print your Certificate of Clearance (COC)

Once you have been notified by e-mail from the CTC that you have been cleared, please print your COC by following the step-by-step instructions provided here. Please make sure that your Certificate has the “California Commission on Teaching Credentialing “logo on it. A COC is good for five years after the certificate is issued.

Look under the heading “Documents: View, Print, and Email”


Immunization against Influenza, Pertussis, and Measles

The State of California has recently changed its immunization requirements for persons working with children in many settings. Students should be prepared to provide documentation of immunization against influenza, pertussis, and measles to their fieldwork site. If a student does not have the proper documentation, he or she may not be able to complete his or her fieldwork hours. 

Please note that the State of California immunization and clearance requirements can change at any time. Students may be asked to submit evidence of additional clearances or immunizations as mandated by the State government or specific field site. 

For updated information regarding California immunization requirements, please visit the California Department of Public Health and California School Immunization Law websites.

Students should keep a copy of all clearance and immunization documentation for their own records to present to their field placement site.